HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Funds for jerseys...

Old
09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Barnak

vCash: 500
Funds for jerseys...

My hockey team got jerseys done 3 years ago. The jerseys themselves were really nice. So nice in fact that four players had to leave the team since then, and none of them wanted to sell the jersey back because they wanted to keep them.

I want to get a 2nd set of jerseys done (white) but I don't want to have the players buy them for fear that I'm just going to lose those jerseys too.

I want to know if anyone has a creative way of raising funds to have jerseys done? ($800 or so) It's near impossible to get sponsors anymore, so that's not an option. Also, we're kind of a crappy team, so no one will pay to see up play...

Any ideas?

Barnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 01:13 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Ask them?

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 04:17 PM
FiveThreeEmptyNet

Wow

Either you own the jerseys or the individual players do. What is wrong with having the person pay that owns the jerseys? It's like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Definitely one fund-raiser I don't want to support. Sorry.

What level is this? The jerseys the others didn't sell back were obviously owned by them. Right?

FiveThreeEmptyNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 09:12 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

every time someone takes a penalty they have to put $1 in for every minute,,,cross0checking $2, double minor high-stick$4, fighting $5 and encourage them to play very aggressively

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Barnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveThreeEmptyNet View Post
Either you own the jerseys or the individual players do. What is wrong with having the person pay that owns the jerseys? It's like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Definitely one fund-raiser I don't want to support. Sorry.

What level is this? The jerseys the others didn't sell back were obviously owned by them. Right?
I think I didn't express myself accurately. I'm not looking for charity.

If I make the players pay, then they would own the jerseys. It just sucks to spend money on jerseys, and two years later having an incomplete set for the team bacause players don't want to sell them back to you. I'm just looking for a way to make sure the jerseys remain with the team even if players leave. This is just for a beer league, so I can't afford to shell out that much for a whole set of jerseys.

Again, I'm not looking for charity, I'm just curious to see what other teams have done in the past to keep the jerseys with the teams. I'm just looking for ideas...

Old
09-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Barnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN View Post
every time someone takes a penalty they have to put $1 in for every minute,,,cross0checking $2, double minor high-stick$4, fighting $5 and encourage them to play very aggressively
LOL! Good idea, although some of the players would double their league fees...

Old
09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Impact

Every team I've ever played on made the individuals buy their own jersey. When someone leaves and is replaced, you go back to the same jersey maker and he prints up a new one for the new guy. Doesn't matter what you're involved in, it ALWAYS helps to know a local screenprinter!!! So long as you go back to the same printer, you only have to pay artwork and setup charges once so getting onesy twosy orders filled is no big deal.

BTW, i NEVER sell back my jerseys!!! Even if they're cheap, sucky things.

Last edited by Impact: 09-18-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added info
Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 03:26 PM
spjon25

Just ask the team their opinion and have them pony up the cash...Like others I am a jersey ***** and keep all of my jerseys. I really liked the last team I was on before the rink decided to raise league fees to 540 for 20 games (ouch and with a son...double ouch)..it was the Maine third jersey with the tie and uncrested..with the twill lettering stitched on

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 09:52 PM
FiveThreeEmptyNet

gotcha

Barnak:

We are having this issue right now in a 35+ league. The first season it was four teams and the league supplied the jerseys - but they became the players and were paid for as part of the league fee.

There were two good teams and two really bad ones. In the interest of competitive balance, players were reshuffled in a draft. Some players remained, others changed teams. Several left the league (jerseys gone) and were replaced by newcomers (no jersey).

Red, White, Light Blue, and Black. One of the nice things about the league is that it didn't have a cheap beer league feel. Helmets, gloves, socks, and breezers may not match, but everyone had the same sweater.

Now guys that wound up on different teams may not have purchased the needed color. So they show up with a similar color. (One guy that can't skate well is wearing orange to play on the red team. I want to scream, "PYLON!" everytime I go around him.) Our league doesn't look as good as the first season.

I loaned my Red to a player last week and told him to bring it back this week clean. Did he? No. He wore it. And he wasn't going to give it back until I went in the locker room and asked.

I don't have all the answers; you can see we have some problems. I think the guy at the rink should have done things differently, but now that we are in this pickle it is hard to solve. Jerseys are cheapies, but some still don't want to part with $25 to get a match when they have a white or blue already and have paid as much as others. We didn't have control over which team we ended up on after the re-draft.

My ideas for you:
1) Estimate a useful life for the jerseys (four years?) and have SOMEONE (may not be you) front the dough and have the players pay 'rent' to pay them off by the time they depreciate. After their useful life they will go to the player. $10 a season for 4 years is $40, it could be $80 or $120 if you have multiple seasons per year. Granted, this isn't perfect because someone is out the upfront money.
2) Follow the advice above and have the jersey be the property of the player and figure out how a new player would get a sufficient match. If the jersey is like the Canucks and they radically change the look every few years you are SOL.

I like the penalty-fine idea, but it isn't clear who will own the jerseys. It may work to defray the cost. Of course, your most penalty-prone player may not like it!

Good luck.

FiveThreeEmptyNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Barnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveThreeEmptyNet View Post
Barnak:

My ideas for you:
1) Estimate a useful life for the jerseys (four years?) and have SOMEONE (may not be you) front the dough and have the players pay 'rent' to pay them off by the time they depreciate. After their useful life they will go to the player. $10 a season for 4 years is $40, it could be $80 or $120 if you have multiple seasons per year. Granted, this isn't perfect because someone is out the upfront money.
2) Follow the advice above and have the jersey be the property of the player and figure out how a new player would get a sufficient match. If the jersey is like the Canucks and they radically change the look every few years you are SOL.

I like the penalty-fine idea, but it isn't clear who will own the jerseys. It may work to defray the cost. Of course, your most penalty-prone player may not like it!

Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of forking up the money myself and recover the cost over the next 2-3 years, but I'm engaged and I don't think my fiancé would go for it...

I'll talk to the guys and see what they think.

Old
09-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Impact

You could always go for the method used by Club Rugby teams. Jerseys are the property of the club and they get distributed to players before each and every game and taken back up at the end. The rookies get wash duty. Personally, I think it's a horrible idea for hockey because we hockey players tend to be egotisitical fashionistas who want our name and OUR number on the back.

The last team I played for had player owned jerseys and it was required to purchase your own jersey to play on the team. When a new player came onboard, the captain took not only their dues to play in the league but also a jersey fee and had one made up for the guy. If you didn't want to buy a jersey, you didn't play on our team.

When it's all said and done, you have to set some type of rules and boundaries. I've played on the beer leauge type teams where no one would be willing to pony up the dough to buy anything and i've played on teams where it was considered an honor to get to wear the colors. If I were running the show, I'd try to work towards the latter. Set rules that everyone has to buy a jersey and socks and create a club feel for the team. Then go and work hard to get the type of players who will be proud to play on your team. Usually, once you set up that atmosphere, the word will get out about what you're doing and those types of players will come to you, especially if you can have some success on the ice.

Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 09:14 PM
lotus

Mostly curious, is it really that hard to get a sponsorship ?

Teams all around here, including one I was on always got our jerseys by just going to some random pro shop and asking if they'll order us jerseys and give a discount for putting their name on the bottom hem or something. It's a very common sighting.

Anyway, I like the dollar / penalty minute deal hahah. There's always one guy who is gonna take tons of penalties, make them worth it hahah.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Voda

Barnak,

solid idea for you that we used because of the same problem. the only question is how old are you and your friends...??? we are all over 21 so it's a moot point.

we had a poker tournament hosted at a local social hall that we knew the owner of and he lent it to us free of charge. we then advertised like crazy mainly by word of mouth, which is cheap. ended up having a $50 buy-in texas hold 'em tourney that gave the house (us) about $600 and the winner netter another 600 with the runner up 100 and 3rd place their money back (we had just under 30 people show up). then, for the early losers we had cash games at two different tables for pot limit hold 'em games with the winner of each pot putting in anywhere between $1 for small pots and $3 for larger pots. that got us another 200 bucks and we ended up with around 800.

let me know what you think and if it works out or not.

voda

Voda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 10:45 PM
ThatOneGuy*

Why not tack on a couple extra dollars to everybody's jersey prices and buy a couple extras for next seasons new guys?

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 12:19 AM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Mostly curious, is it really that hard to get a sponsorship ?

Teams all around here, including one I was on always got our jerseys by just going to some random pro shop and asking if they'll order us jerseys and give a discount for putting their name on the bottom hem or something. It's a very common sighting.
Sorry, but I gotta gripe here for a minute - if you're old enough to buy beer after the game (assuming you +18 ) then you should be able to pay for your own jersey - leave the sponsorship money for minor hockey teams who really need it. I don't operate a retail business, but I know the places around here are approached over and over again for sponsorship, and eventually they have to say no. And I sure don't agree with approaching "random" pro shops. If you don't support the business regularly I don't see how it's right to ask them to donate money to you. Sorry, but it's just MHO.

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 12:20 AM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Why not tack on a couple extra dollars to everybody's jersey prices and buy a couple extras for next seasons new guys?
Now that makes sense!

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 12:26 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by javorka View Post
Sorry, but I gotta gripe here for a minute - if you're old enough to buy beer after the game (assuming you +18 ) then you should be able to pay for your own jersey - leave the sponsorship money for minor hockey teams who really need it. I don't operate a retail business, but I know the places around here are approached over and over again for sponsorship, and eventually they have to say no. And I sure don't agree with approaching "random" pro shops. If you don't support the business regularly I don't see how it's right to ask them to donate money to you. Sorry, but it's just MHO.
It's just my area then. (21+ in U.S. btw)

The local minor hockey teams here are very well funded. It's the 'beer league' teams that tend to get the sponsorship. By saying random I didn't litterly mean running around pro shop to pro shop. I meant it in the sense that teams had sponsorships to places I never even heard of. I phrased it poorly.

But assuming you're not just hunting for a bargain, and the place is willing to sponsor you, I don't see the big deal. If they don't want to they don't have to.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 12:09 PM
rinkrat22

jersey funds

this is what I have done in past seasons, and now with a new sponsor and new jersey's this year. I charge everybody a few dollars more, 10 - 20 depending on cost of new jersey and order a couple extra, that I hold on to if we get a sub cause were short or a new player i have a jersey for them to wear. I take it back after the game. If they are joining the team I charge them what I charged everyone else and order them a jersey. this way I always have a couple of extra jerseys laying around. And I have never had a problem getting replacements. besides how long do jerseys last anyway a couple of years max right?

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote