HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul

Old
09-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboys15 View Post
I would like to see him start the third line...you got to remember he walked into Edmonton after having a great season as a Duck and simply underperformed. The expectations were high, the fact that he was the major return in the Pronger trade, a city that just barely missed touching the cup, that's pressure. Why not let him get out to a good start, placing him in less pressure to produce on the third line and move him up accordingly...the guy can score we know that, I remember the hat trick he had in the playoffs a couple years ago.

I also don't think that with the roster philly has that the number of the line matters much, 4th line aside. I think it's more important to find the chemistry between linemates.
Putting him on the "shutdown" line will not help him score goals and gain his confidence. Maybe Richards will help his linemates produce more this year, but I'm liking what I hear about the Upshall-Carter-Lupul line so far in camp.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I want to see Lupul on the first line to maximize his output so he can be traded to make way for future wings. I don't want him put on the 3rd line where he will end up producing like Kyle Calder and then be worth nothing. I'm not sold on the guy. I think Hartnell and Upshall are valuable wherever they play. Lupul might be the second coming of Pat Falloon, which means he need quality minutes with playmakes and such.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 07:22 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
im worried that if carter is with lupul all year his goal scoring wont develop as much.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
im worried that if carter is with lupul all year his goal scoring wont develop as much.
Carter's goal-scoring is fine, he just needs to stop trying to pick every corner he sees. The part of his game he severely needs to develop is his patience with the puck, and using his linemates more... two things he could conceivable develop while playing with Lupul... but also two problems that make me think that line wouldn't work well.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:50 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Putting him on the "shutdown" line will not help him score goals and gain his confidence. Maybe Richards will help his linemates produce more this year, but I'm liking what I hear about the Upshall-Carter-Lupul line so far in camp.
I dont mind the sounds of Upshall-Carter-Lupul either, however, I do have a problem putting Hartnell on the 3rd line. He needs to be top 6. Everyone always said that the only thing holding this guy back from being a top power forward in the league was the depth on wing in Nashville where he more then often played on the 3rd line. It appears we are doing the same thing here. I know it could change 1000 times before the season starts, but I am concered about that.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Flyerfan808

I like the idea of Lupul with Richards more. Richards is more of a pass first player and Lupul has the itchy trigger finger. Richards is good at backchecking also so he & Kapanen could cover the "brainfarts".

I don't understand the idea of trying to "maximize" Lupuls value. We should not build this team around trying to make him a high scorer. He needs to be able to adapt to wherever the team needs him...

If he goes out and proves that he deserves top line minutes then good, but that is for the coaches to decide not us. In my opinion, as humble as it may be, Lupul cannot do the kinds of things Knuble does. Knuble is a key ingrideint on the top line and he has stuck with this team - Re-signed with us during our worst season in history.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:56 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I like the idea of Lupul with Richards more. Richards is more of a pass first player and Lupul has the itchy trigger finger. Richards is good at backchecking also so he & Kapanen could cover the "brainfarts".

I don't understand the idea of trying to "maximize" Lupuls value. We should not build this team around trying to make him a high scorer. He needs to be able to adapt to wherever the team needs him...

If he goes out and proves that he deserves top line minutes then good, but that is for the coaches to decide not us. In my opinion, as humble as it may be, Lupul cannot do the kinds of things Knuble does. Knuble is a key ingrideint on the top line and he has stuck with this team - Re-signed with us during our worst season in history.
I dont disagree with some of your point, but if they intend on Richards being the shut down center, you cant have Lupul with him. If they are balancing all lines and going more along the lines of a Detroit philosophy then I dont mind it.

As far as getting max value from Lupul, it is the coachs job to get max value from everyone. Fact is Knuble's style fits anywhere you decide to play him, Lupul's does not.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont mind the sounds of Upshall-Carter-Lupul either, however, I do have a problem putting Hartnell on the 3rd line. He needs to be top 6. Everyone always said that the only thing holding this guy back from being a top power forward in the league was the depth on wing in Nashville where he more then often played on the 3rd line. It appears we are doing the same thing here. I know it could change 1000 times before the season starts, but I am concered about that.
Same thing could be said of Upshall. He didn't get his chance in Nashville. He's getting it in Philly and I think he's a top 6 player. He had chemistry with Carter last year so I can see why they're giving them a shot together now.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 05:32 PM
flyboys15

Any way you set up this roster you're going to have a guy on the third line who shouldn't really be there. Being that Upshall seems to play well with a lot of the returning guys from last year's team I could see him down with Richards to start. I think it's understood that the season's first couple of months will clear this up more than anything else we say can. Hartnell's gotta be top 6 IMO to start and if what people are saying about carter and upshall is true than Lupul will be the odd man out to start. Main thing being said is I'm saying "to start" a lot here.

I wouldn't even be surprised that at some point this year Briere and Gagne aren't even on the same line. CHEMISTRY is all this team needs up front...and Foppa back would be nice too, haha.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote