HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is your favorite Rangers beat reporter?

View Poll Results: Favorite rangers beat reporter?
Brooks 11 10.28%
Dellapina 19 17.76%
Carpiniello 0 0%
Weinman 72 67.29%
Zinser/NY Times 0 0%
Other 5 4.67%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Choice

vCash: 500
Who is your favorite Rangers beat reporter?

Of the city papers I know we have Brooks, Dellapina and last year the Times had Lynn Zinser. Don't know if she's doing it again this year. Brooks is what he is, I don't really like Dellapina and Lynn Zinser wasn't so great either.

Suburban papers I know there is Carpiniello and Weinman. Am I forgetting anyone?

My vote goes to Weinman, on the strength of his blog. I've never even read his print column. More and more I'm finding blogs and stuff like that to be much better than the stuff in the morning papers.

There is also BS Bulletin which has a fine website and I prefer to a lot of the daily papers, but not including an option for them. Put other if you vote for BSB.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Weinman, by far. Love the guy, love his writing.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 11:20 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
my 2 favorites are BSB and Larry Brooks altho i find brooks a little too pessimistic sometimes

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry Brooks

Excellent contacts.Sometimes he goes off the reservation but he is the most informative individual covering the Rangers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 11:42 AM
squishy

While I like that Sam updates his blog more than the others, he's the least knowledgable of all of them. He's good for entertainment, good for getting news and facts quickly, but offers little in terms of insight. He tends to pander to his fans a bit, which diminishes his credibility a bit -- in my book anyway.

Brooks is what he is. His penchant for sensationalism and hype annoys the hell out of me, but he does know his stuff and has some good connections.

Zipay is ok. His writing style in his blog comes off as being somewhat arrogant from time to time, but he's pretty knowledgable... I'd prefer more news and insight and less prose, but that's a personal preference.

Dellapina, similar to Brooks, is the most likely to come up with the real info behind a story -- his long tenure means he's very well connected and can offer a good perspective. He's probably my favorite, because I often feel I've learned something after I've read one of his articles. His Leetch infatuation last year got insanely annoying, but otherwise he knows his stuff and is the most likely to get to the bottom of something first.

Carpinello doesn't really count -- he only fills in for Weinman when Weinman misses a game or practice now.

My favorite source for Rangers info is probably Blueshirt Bulletin, though. They don't have to deal with the space considerations of a paper and generally provide more in terms of direct quotes from players after a game. And honestly, that's what I'd rather read -- direct quotes from the players, coaches or management staff, not some writer's opinion of what they said. I don't always agree with Blueshirt's opinions on specific players, but the amount of info they provide more than makes up for it. And, they're the only one of all of them to provide any info regarding Hartford/prospects (apart from the general cheerleading the Rangers PR machine promotes) which I really appreciate.

Edit to add:
Zinser/The Times is ok, but when I read a story from the Times it generally feels more like a story that better fits in the "People" or "LifeStyles" section of a newspaper than the Sports section. I appreciate the perspective it provides, but it could never be my sole source of Ranger news.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 11:43 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I went with Sam. His Blog is the best. Lots of consistant updates and he's just calling him like he sees them. A fresh perspective.

09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Dellapina is such a great Rangers guy, I mean, the guy lives and dies with the team. I don't mean in the way a fan does... but he is just so close with the team and has so many contacts.... but Sam's writing is unbelievable. I'm a journalism major, I read his stuff every day and am absolutely blown away by how well he writes.

It's very close between those two, and both have their positives and negatives, but Sam gets my vote, just because of how incredibly he writes.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:01 PM
94now

Voted OTHERS. I do not read papers anymore. They intended for an average Joe in order to sell volumes.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:05 PM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Voted OTHERS. I do not read papers anymore. They intended for an average Joe in order to sell volumes.
thats an interesting and original point!!

people, how did Brooks get a vote??!?!?!

I vote Dellapina's blog

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
thats an interesting and original point!!

people, how did Brooks get a vote??!?!?!

I vote Dellapina's blog
Looks like RangerBoy voted for him.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:22 PM
jhnyr

As a sportswriter myself, I have to go with Weinman as well. His writing is so different and fresh and upbeat, it stands out from the rest. To those that say he's not knowledgeable, you have to understand he's only been writing Rangers for a few seasons... not decades like some of the other guys. I like Sam's perspective of "I'm a fan too, this is so cool!" attitude of covering the team. You can really feel the excitement he has.

So as one writer to another, I vote Sam.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Choice

Oops forgot Zipay.

Yeah, the argument for Brooks is that he is well connected, and as a previous poster said, is more likely to get the info you won't see anywhere else. The flipside of that is he can pull some BS out of god knows where.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Hankenstein

I like Sam.

Cause his head is full of delicious candy. Trust me on this.

Hankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
FLYLine24*

Weinman and Brooks

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I like Zipay too. He has done a pretty good job so far.

Brooks IMO is good, but seems to fabricate things from time to time. He is pro-fight which I like, and has been doing it for a long time. I like his work, but I don't think he is the best.

Dellapina is the biggest anti-fight guy out there. I don't care for him.

Weinman is doing a tremendous job.

Blueshirt Bulletin goes above and beyond. I don't particularly like Dubi Silverstien as a writer, but the information they cram into the Bulletin is excellent. Love all the prospect coverage they do. They get my vote.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Big fan of Sams, though if there was a Blueshirt Bulletin option I would pick that. (I never like picking "other" way too vague)

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Fletch

I like Brooks...

hate him too...but, I buy the NY Post and enjoy what he has to say sometimes - at a minimum, it gets us thinking in here.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Weinman is very in-tune to the team, he is always a good read.

As for Brooks...well, for good or bad, he is always at least going to get a reaction from his writing.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I'll say Dellapina, whom I appreciate more because of his blog. He's much more up-front on his blog than he is in print and, like Brooks, he's a longtime Rangers reporter who knows what he is talking about.

I love Weinman's blog, which is the best Rangers reporter blog out there, because of his enthusiasm and constant updates. Weinman must be a workaholic, because he always seems to be checking in to write. I hope he stays a Rangers beat writer for a long time, because by the time he's been at it as long as Dellapina and Brooks, he'll be the best.

Brooks is a funny case. I don't think anyone loves the sport and the Rangers more and sometimes he digs things up way before anyone else. Sometimes, though Uncle Larry pulls stories out that are completely out of left field. His opinion pieces range from the astute and insightful to the ridiculous as well. Rangers reporting wouldn't be the same without him, that's for sure.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Smashley

love me some sam

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Nich

like the sam best as far as entertainment, but think BB has some of the best info

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
If you're going to include Blueshirt Bulletin, I'll make that my vote--it's great.

I have never subscribed, but I am planning to this season.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
If you're going to include Blueshirt Bulletin, I'll make that my vote--it's great.

I have never subscribed, but I am planning to this season.
yeah me too...probably sign up this week actually

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Sam, by far.. love his writing style and his updates....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Fish

I don't have a favorite, though I must say that in my exchanges with Sam Weinman, John Dellapina and Steve Zipay that they all have been very responsive and have taken the time to write me back.

The NY Post team (particularly Larry Brooks) I haven't really had interactions with, but I do like the fact they take on controversial subjects. I'm a fan of news first, but certainly commentary and opinion when done well are good conversation starters.

Down in Hartford, you have to give kudos to Bruce Berlet. He manages to do a great job covering the Pack and any future Rangers...and is also very happy to answer questions you might have.

The Times hasn't been the same since they dropped their daily coverage of the Rangers. The current articles aren't particularly informative, nor are they controversial...I don't know much about Lynn Zinser, but I suspect it probably has a lot to do with the amount of effort that the Times is willing to support.

The occasional article for the Bergen Record and Star Ledger also haven't contributed much, except when it's a Rangers - Devils matchup.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote