HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nitty?

Old
09-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
Give the guy a break. he's been in the league for what 2 years plus change? he had military commitments so he came over late. He was unbeaten in his sneak peek on 03-04, dominated the ahl the following year and singlehandedly carried the team the year after the lockout...but played too many games consecutively then burnt out. the guy is not brodeur and besides the point look at what playing in all those games last year did for marty and the devils it wears ya down. last year was terrible by all means. ALL the youngsters took a step back in development/confidence and goalies are a different breed confidence is everything. I don't have all the hard facts i just hope that he pans out. To me he seems like more than a back up... but i'm no NHL scout.
Antero Nittymaki
2005-06: 46GP 23 W 15 L 2.97 GAA .895 SVPCT 2 SO
2006-07: 52GP 9 W 29 L 3.38 GAA .894 SVPCT 0 SO

1) Nitty did ZERO carrying in 2005-06. He got hot for a stretch, but the body of work he put forward in over half the season was 34th in the league in SVPCT.

2) He went out and did the same exact season (minus a hot stretch and an olympics that sticks in everyones minds)... and finished 35th in the league in SVPCT.

That suggests to me that he's a backup goalie... might he improve some? Yeah, sure, but he's got a LONG way to go... and at 27 he's very far from anything we should be building our team around, or worrying about. It's not about 'giving the guy a break'. It's about objectively looking at what we've got here... he's a 27 y/o goalie who has done nothing at the NHL level to give any inclination that he can consistently succeed here.

Sucks, cuz we do need a young goalie who can compete in this division.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:40 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

I see what you mean about age but 27 isn't really that old for a goaltender. Nittymaki was a new face in a new league that still managed to win half the games he played in as a rookie. last year was a wash and he should have had surgery. but doesn't that tell you something, this guy wants to play. Besides, if not him then who? beauchemin, houle, esche (oops) Why don't we develop our young talent? we can't trade for luongo, and rookies that come in and win stanley cups (ward, roy) are few and far between. What's that? pressure doesn't affect rookie/sophomore goalies. how did cam ward do last year, after he got streaky at the right time? his numbers will surely take a hit i'm sure (for all those that keep stats). but because of that they probably won't get rid of him, they'll stick it out like we ought to (ought - Hitchcock reference, nice) Just a thought.
peace
Go Nitty, Go Flyers Go!

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
I see what you mean about age but 27 isn't really that old for a goaltender. Nittymaki was a new face in a new league that still managed to win half the games he played in as a rookie. last year was a wash and he should have had surgery. but doesn't that tell you something, this guy wants to play. Besides, if not him then who? beauchemin, houle, esche (oops) Why don't we develop our young talent? we can't trade for luongo, and rookies that come in and win stanley cups (ward, roy) are few and far between. What's that? pressure doesn't affect rookie/sophomore goalies. how did cam ward do last year, after he got streaky at the right time? his numbers will surely take a hit i'm sure (for all those that keep stats). but because of that they probably won't get rid of him, they'll stick it out like we ought to (ought - Hitchcock reference, nice) Just a thought.
peace
Go Nitty, Go Flyers Go!
Who? How about Biron? The guy with the save percentage that's 15 points better. He's hardly older than Nitty and significantly better.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote