HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Mason cut it?

Old
09-17-2007, 04:57 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 500
Can Mason cut it?

Just wondering what Preds fans' thoughts are of Mason as their #1. Nashville was in an excellent position with a guy like him taking over during Vokoun's injury, but over the long haul of the season, do you guys think he'll get the job done? Is either Ellis or Rinne capable of being counted on for 20 games?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 05:10 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I think the question concerning our backup is much more of an issue. Mason hasn't just replaced Vokoun for 'stints' during the past few regular seasons. When Vokoun has gone injured, it's been for long stretches. This has allowed us to get a great look at Mason as a potential starter.

Since he came aboard as a full-time backup in 2003, he has had noticeably better numbers than Tomas. And he's averaged 25-30 games played over that stretch which is enough games to tell me that it's not a statistical anomaly born of low games played.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Jarnberg

I'm a bit scared. I think Mason is a good goaltender, but I hardly think he's the upgrade many Predators fans have been suggesting.

Mason did great filling in for Vokoun. However, he picked up almost all his wins against Non-Playoff teams. That being said, its still great that he won those games and I'm not knocking him for doing so. He needs to improve his play against Playoff teams, however, that is also a fault of the entire team.

There are alot of questions around Mason. Can he handle a full season? Can he handle a team with less offensive fire power to back the defense out? Can he improve his play against the better teams?

A few things are going in his favor. I think the defense will be better then last season. I think the total team defense will be better then last season. He's also a better shoot-out goalie then Tomas Vokoun. I also think he doesn't have the streakyness of Vokoun (both good and bad).

Its a very risky move. Obviously Poile traded Vokoun to cut salary and felt like Mason can handle the load, even if he's a downgrade.

Last time we made a big goalie trade the door was opened for Vokoun. Hopefully the same thing happen to Mason.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 08:52 AM
jstreet

vCash: 1500
YOu can count me in with the slightly skeptical and scared crowd.

He really needs to steal some games from some of the top teams, which we havent seen much of yet.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 09:29 AM
PredsMan

I don't think anyone sees him as an "upgrade" per se, but rather an adequate replacement.

I don't know if Chris is capable of stealing games, but I do feel he'll make the stops he should.

In other words, I'm comfortable with him until he proves he's not capable. All he's done up to this point is play well when he's gotten the chance.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 11:19 AM
lstcyr

I seem to remember the same questions about Vokoun when we traded Dunham. I think he'll step up. (If he doesn't, then we have more problems than we want to deal with.)

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:11 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Who's shaping up to back him up at this point? Are either Rinne or Ellis shaping up to be a #1A type this season, having the ability to take some of the pressure off Mason if need be (as Mason did with Vokoun last year)? I really hope Mason does well this season, and the Preds don't slide too far in the standings.

Since watching the Russian World Juniors camp in Vernon and a World Junior game in Kamloops (not to mention the Remparts Mem Cup on TV), I've been really impressed with Radulov's skill, and his charisma. I hope he'll break out this season.

Old
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I don't think this team will really see that much of a difference in terms of quality of play. I suspect Mason will bring about what Vokoun has brought to the table numbers wise this year. Our backup situation is the main cause for concern (IMO). One thing that will be a huge difference is rebounds. Mason kicks out tons of rebounds, something a fully healthy Vokoun did not do (granted this past year, his rebound control was far below his normal standards). Our defense is going to have to adapt to this style of play.

To be quite honest, I think that to truly excel in Trotz's system/style of play we need a goalie that can move the puck. Neither Mason or Vokoun can do that effectively, and I think that part of the advantages of having such a great puck-moving defense is neutralized.

09-18-2007, 12:57 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I don't think this team will really see that much of a difference in terms of quality of play. I suspect Mason will bring about what Vokoun has brought to the table numbers wise this year. Our backup situation is the main cause for concern (IMO). One thing that will be a huge difference is rebounds. Mason kicks out tons of rebounds, something a fully healthy Vokoun did not do (granted this past year, his rebound control was far below his normal standards). Our defense is going to have to adapt to this style of play.

To be quite honest, I think that to truly excel in Trotz's system/style of play we need a goalie that can move the puck. Neither Mason or Vokoun can do that effectively, and I think that part of the advantages of having such a great puck-moving defense is neutralized.
Who is pencilled in as the backup?

Old
09-18-2007, 01:07 PM
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes

vCash: 50
I assume Rinne will back up Mason, but, honestly, I don't know.

I think Mason can handle it, but I have a hard time picturing him playing more than 65 games, max. I'm just an outsider, though.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Who is pencilled in as the backup?
From what I've gathered, the position is still open - Rinne and Ellis are battling it out.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
The_Forechecker

At this point Mason has 84 career games under his belt, with a .921 career save percentage, enough action to set aside the "fluke rookie" concern. When Vokoun went down last year Mason took the helm and continued delivering stellar goaltending over a 30-game stretch. While there's always the risk that he could stumble in making the transition to #1 guy and wear down as the playoffs approach, at some point every franchise has to make a move like this, and all the signs seem to indicate that Mason's ready to handle the load.

The_Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Forechecker View Post
At this point Mason has 84 career games under his belt, with a .921 career save percentage, enough action to set aside the "fluke rookie" concern. When Vokoun went down last year Mason took the helm and continued delivering stellar goaltending over a 30-game stretch. While there's always the risk that he could stumble in making the transition to #1 guy and wear down as the playoffs approach, at some point every franchise has to make a move like this, and all the signs seem to indicate that Mason's ready to handle the load.
How many of Mason's wins were against playoff teams? Compare that with Vokoun.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 07:41 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
How many of Mason's wins were against playoff teams? Compare that with Vokoun.

the counterpoint to that is that during part of masons stretch last year we had other injuries at the same time..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 05:10 AM
predperson

Quote:
Can Mason Cut it?
Yes.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 08:29 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
my take:

With Vokoun you are going to get someone that when they're on, they're one of the top 5 netminders in the league. However, when he's off and lacking concentration, he's prone to let in softies and can be very frustrating to watch. With Mason you get someone who is consistently a slighty above average nhl goalie. You know what you're going to get from mason night in and night out. we never had that with TV.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 09:47 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
my take:

With Vokoun you are going to get someone that when they're on, they're one of the top 5 netminders in the league. However, when he's off and lacking concentration, he's prone to let in softies and can be very frustrating to watch. With Mason you get someone who is consistently a slighty above average nhl goalie. You know what you're going to get from mason night in and night out. we never had that with TV.

I think this sums it up well.

With TV, as many nights as he looked like the best goaltender in the NHL, he would let in a goal or two that just left you scratching your head saying "what the heck was that Tomas". Plus the fact that he was horrible outside of the crease and mediocre at best in a shootout.

Vokoun, when on, was good enough to let us take chances offensively.

With Mason, you just get steady. He may not make the amazing save, but he's going to give you solid goaltending night in and night out. Add to that the defense corps we have in front of him, and the new emphasis on rolling out balanced lines and a more defensive oriented gameplan, and I dont think we'll see much of a dropoff.

Yes, I'm a homer, but I think we'll see better results.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote