HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back-up goaltending.....

Old
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
As for swapping for a skater... a goalie's value is lower b/c it's a much higher risk position. If you could get Jack Johnson, Toewes, Turris etc... you wouldn't think twice, but you won't get those players...and do you really want to deal Montoya for a player we already have? Do we need another Dubinsky, Dawes, or Sauer? All decent prospect;s but we have a glut at that level so a trade would make no sense at this point in time.
Monty wouldn't bring back Dubinsky or Sauer or Dawes. Maybe all 3 for Monty, which wouldn't be too bad. I expect that either Dubi or Dawes will be a second liner, and Sauer should be a 3-5 dman. So a second liner and an average defenseman, presuming we get players identical to those 3, for an unproven goalie, which wouldn't be too bad.

More likely, you can add someone like Dawes to Monty and get someone like Jack Johnson.

Montoya, Dawes and Pock/Mara for JJ seems reasonable from both ends.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:34 AM
eco's bones

FWIW Montoya makes HF's top ten prospect list at No. 9 ahead of Bobby Ryan. Ahead of Staal and Cherepanov. Let's sign another has been veteran.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I didn't say straight up. I just said that was your choice of a young player. I also made it work under the cap so that people won't yell that we can't squeeze Heatley in there.

And I gave two IFs... Ottawa's negotiations totally broke down and Heatley won't be signed and Ottawa isn't going anywhere this year.

Also, no offense, but you totally missed the point. The point wasn't getting Heatley. It was just an example. Could've been Hossa or J. Johnson or Schneider or whoever.

The point is: if you have to improve the team, do you do so with a forward (like Prucha or Callahan), a defenseman (like Staal or Tyutin) or a goalie (Montoya).

To me, it's clear that to improve the team, the position we can most afford to give up is the net.
You made it fit under the cap? NO. Malik at 2.5 and Montoya at 1 mill don't equal the 8-9 mill Heatley will get. It doesn't even match his current contract if I'm not mistaken. Let's see how many other teams would offer much better value. You don't think the Isles would deal Okposo and a 1st for Heatley or the Devs Zajac - plus ? etc...etc ... Look at what Nashville gave up for Forsberg last year... now double that. Heatley is a top 10 player. These guys get locked up. His value would be Staal, 1st, Dubinsky and probably more just to start talking and understandably so... not to mention the AT LEAST 8 mil he'd get for salary in the future. Will not happen... As for the other guys you mention... it doesnt happen. Top players aren't dealt for unproven goalies. To me Monty's value to the team is more than you would get in a deal... His future value could be much more than it is worth now...

You only deal him if you are getting a young IMPACT guy. This is a top 5 pick whose grown as a player. If you move him you would want a future top line forward or top pairing d-man. Right now you won't get that. Teams will have to see Monty prove himself on the NHL level first before they deal a safer impact player. He's worth more than his current value. To deal him now would be utter stupidity b/c I don't think this is a time where you could get his full value, or even close...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
More likely, you can add someone like Dawes to Monty and get someone like Jack Johnson.

Montoya, Dawes and Pock/Mara for JJ seems reasonable from both ends.
WHY? Why in Gods green earth would LA make that deal? They have a d-man capable of playing now who looks like he could be a future Scott Stevens. You think they would deal him for A) Montoya - an unproven AHL goalie and B) Dawes - a player who has never played a quality NHL game.

Think about this one... do you want to be the LA GM who trades a future star for what could turn into nothing? Odds are you get a solid NHL starter, and a dime a dozen prospect forward. Thanks, I'd rather sign a mediocer starter and have the star d-man. These trade offers are utterly ridiculous. You think LA gave up Gleason + to get back to unproven players? To get JJ your talking Staal... who the Rangers wont be dealing right now. I would venture LA wouldn't listen unlesss you are started with Staal... or Prucha, Monty, possibly a 1st.

Think about it... would you deal Staal for Monty and Dawes? HELL NO.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
VisionQuest*

We're talking about my two favorite teams right now, and that deal stinks to high hell. Dean Lombardi isn't parting with Jack Johnson for a goaltending prospect when he has Jonathan Bernier looking nearly NHL ready at age 19. He's been the best goalie in camp and they're really having a difficult time justifying sending him back to Jrs. Shame he isn't 20 yet.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Mrpuck

Those of you discussing moving Al are crazy. Aside from the fact that his value is lower then many of you think right now.
If Hank goes down for any significant amount of time due to injury you want Valley in net full time? Cujo? Eshe?

Would Al be able to step right in and steady the ship until Hank comes back? Maybe not. It would be a ton of pressure on him.
But I'd much rather take my chances with him and consider it part of his progression.

None of this is something you really want to think of. I hope Hank can play 65-70 games and stay injury free but you have to have an insurance policy and Montoya/Valley looks a lot better then Valley/Holt if you trade Al.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
Those of you discussing moving Al are crazy. Aside from the fact that his value is lower then many of you think right now.
If Hank goes down for any significant amount of time due to injury you want Valley in net full time? Cujo? Eshe?

Would Al be able to step right in and steady the ship until Hank comes back? Maybe not. It would be a ton of pressure on him.
But I'd much rather take my chances with him and consider it part of his progression.

None of this is something you really want to think of. I hope Hank can play 65-70 games and stay injury free but you have to have an insurance policy and Montoya/Valley looks a lot better then Valley/Holt if you trade Al.
Agreed.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Chimp

Montoya wants to play backup in NYR rather than be #1 in Hartford. Perhaps quite obvious, but now he's been quoted.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,7178182.story

"With his physical and mental states improved, Montoya believes he is ready to back up Henrik Lundqvist and prefers to play 15-20 games for the Rangers rather than 60-65 games for Hartford. Montoya's chief opposition is veteran Steve Valiquette, who backed up Lundqvist late last season after being called up from the Pack.

'I know I'm ready for that new challenge, and all I want is a fair chance," said Montoya, who arrived at camp early and worked out with newly acquired centers Scott Gomez and Trumbull native Chris Drury. "I don't expect to be given anything because I was a first-round pick. I have to go out and earn a spot and give the coaches a tough decision. I'm going to try to do everything I can to prove I belong.'"
--
Sorry Monty, but your contract is a big issue. I don't think we have the cap room for it this season, at least not the whole season.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 08:27 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post

well put. and if Hank goes down for a few games, it'll give the club a chance to showcase his a little, provided he does well.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote