HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who won the War of the Networks?

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2004, 04:10 AM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Coverage: The Score, easily.
Sources: Sportsnet, easily.
Personalities: TSN.

My overall favourite was Sportsnet. They came up with a lot of "BREAKING NEWS".

Old
03-10-2004, 04:42 AM
PEli*

Kypreos really came through a lot today. I was really disappointed with TSN's coverage but wasn't really surprised. They're getting a bit too comfortable with being the top dog and I think Sportsnet knows that. Sportsnet has always been quicker to break big trades anyway. TSN just has the long time credibility that Sportsnet lacks.

The Score was great today. I'd say I watched them more than anybody else. Kouleas, Button, Bayek and Twist all kept things fresh and discussed everything without overdoing it. I really liked what Button brought to the table and even Twist has improved his style and seemed more knowledgable than ever today.

Sportsnet won for me though. I loved reading the text messages on the bottom of the screen. Stuff like "Pilar, Reichel and a 6th for Pronger! DO IT FURGUSSEN!!!!1" is priceless. I also love the "Oilers+Nedved=Stanley Cup" stuff. Sportsnet got flashy this year and I really liked it.

Keenan, Maurice and Millard =

Old
03-10-2004, 05:03 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
Sportsnet won for me though. I loved reading the text messages on the bottom of the screen. Stuff like "Pilar, Reichel and a 6th for Pronger! DO IT FURGUSSEN!!!!1" is priceless.

Very true. There was something like "With Kovlev we will won the cup no stoping us!!!!". There were so many hilarious ones. It's too bad I was often distracted and missed them. It's pretty sad to see people pay 50 cents to showcase their lack of IQ to the hockey world yet funny. Like watching the proverbial car wreck :p

I was split between TSN and Sportsnet at first but quickly decided Sportsnet was MUCH better. Sure, Francis and Q are coaches with impressive resumes but really, they were absolutely flat.

Maurice and Keenan rock! They are two of the best coaching personalities out there. They were so much more alive and comfortable in front of the camera.

And for God's sake, if Doug Gilmour is reading this:

Doug, do something with that ridiculously bad hairdo! And I mean, RIGHT NOW. Report to the nearest competent stylist. Do not pass go.

Looking at him was as painful as listening to nails on a chalkboard, for chrissakes.

Overall, Sportsnet won for me, hands down.

Old
03-10-2004, 01:45 PM
smileymcadam

I see it different than most of you. TSN started nice and early. Their hockey guys were on from 7 in the morning. SN had Hazel or whatever her name is giving me ten seconds on the Morris trade and TSN gave it the full treament with Maguire and McKenzie including tell me Ballard (a big part of the deal) was included. SN never had Ballard part of the deal till TSN said so. TSN broke the Salo trade and they had great stuff talking about Bertuzzi, all before SN's hockey panels were going. All the big stories happened in the early morning. I watched SN when TSN went curling (grrr!) but stayed with TSN on the internet. SN broke the actual Francis trade in the afternoon but tsn.ca was first to report Leafs and Nucks were after Francis and first to report Francis would wave the no trade for Toronto. SN guys didnt seem to know anything about Francis till it was on ts.ca. Not saying SN didnt do a decent job but I thought Gilmour sucked and Keenan had nuthin to say. Watters is a big blowhard. I hate curling but not many trades happened during the curling. In the afternoon SN broke a few more trades (not like any of them cept maybe Devries were a big deal) and TSN had the 3-way trade. Guess I'm bias, I always like TSN better than SN, more professional, better analysts, can't stand SN always patting themselves on the back when they do something good...like a bunch of schoolkids. In the last couple of weeks I found out more trades like Jagr, Burke, Lang, Gonchar, Salo and a whole bunch more on TSN or tsn.ca. They kick ass every day all year long, IMHO.

Old
03-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Boomhower

I agree with the majority, Sportsnet was #1 on deadline day.

It was Kypreos' year, he has lots of NYR sources, so he led the way as far as the Rangers firesale. As mentioned he was on top of the Rucinsky situation and also broke Devries to Ottawa, before it was ven known what was going the other way.

The fact that S'Net started it's coverage earlier was also a big leg up on TSN and I can't stand Kouleas on the Score.... that guy has a voice that rivals Fran Dresher, so I only watched a bit of their coverage.

Old
03-12-2004, 06:10 PM
OpinionatedMike

Ratings Wise:

D-DAY REVISITED: I vow never again to accuse sports networks of overkill on NHL trade deadline coverage. An average of more than 400,000 viewers a minute tuned in to TSN, Sportsnet and The Score Tuesday. That's more than the average CFL, Blue Jays or NHL game draws in prime time. The big winner was The Score, whose audience was almost double last year's

from: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...st980457778002

Old
03-12-2004, 08:13 PM
edmontonoilers89

For extensive coverage I'd have to say the score. They started early and kept on going all day.

Sportsnet did it for me with their quickness, and I really like Kypreos.

TSN was also up there, but moreso in terms of quality. Their style is more edgy and modern, and I really like watching the games on TSN, which have a big up on Sportsnet's.

Old
03-13-2004, 01:31 AM
smileymcadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Ratings Wise:

D-DAY REVISITED: I vow never again to accuse sports networks of overkill on NHL trade deadline coverage. An average of more than 400,000 viewers a minute tuned in to TSN, Sportsnet and The Score Tuesday. That's more than the average CFL, Blue Jays or NHL game draws in prime time. The big winner was The Score, whose audience was almost double last year's

from: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...st980457778002
I guess I wasn't alone in thinking TSN was the best on d-day. TSN's ratings were almost double SN's and the Score's put together. Not even close.

Old
03-13-2004, 02:56 AM
OpinionatedMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymcadam
I guess I wasn't alone in thinking TSN was the best on d-day. TSN's ratings were almost double SN's and the Score's put together. Not even close.

Just being curious but what have you been told the numbers were?

Old
03-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
TSN was horrible, but curling is their biggest show for ratings.

Sportnet showed the same stories over and over early on when no trades were taking place.

The Score was last to report any trades, but they did talk live for the longest, but Tony Twist drags them down.

My vote goes to Sportsnet, but TSN still has MacKenzie

Old
03-15-2004, 11:33 AM
smileymcadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Just being curious but what have you been told the numbers were?
I saw a press release. It said TSN had 260,000 or something like that. SN was a little over 100,000 and The Score was way less than 100,000.

Old
03-15-2004, 12:10 PM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Well, I am only basing this on the internet coverage (none of the channels on tV here), but Sportsnet won the digital part hands down. Way faster in reporting trades than TSN, whose tracker was incredibly slow...

I found that for the Canusks trades that TSN.ca was miles ahead of everyone in terms of getting first word out there.

Old
03-15-2004, 12:26 PM
dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymcadam
I saw a press release. It said TSN had 260,000 or something like that. SN was a little over 100,000 and The Score was way less than 100,000.
I think that is mostly curling fans... as we know in canada curling is one of the big TV draws...

Closed Thread