HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Moving to NYC

Old
09-19-2007, 09:29 AM
SpeedSkatOrr

vCash: 500
I think if you go to boroughs like Queens (Astoria) & Brooklyn (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst or Sheepshead Bay). The rent for a 1 or 2 bedroom ranges from $900 - $1500, easy commute to the city .. it doesn't pay to drive unless you have to drive your work truck with your tools.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/426174303.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/426197609.html

SpeedSkatOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 10:04 AM
In The Flesh

yea, manhattan is brutal, you'll go broke living down there, i like queens, but i live in yonkers which is alright

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
yea, manhattan is brutal, you'll go broke living down there, i like queens, but i live in yonkers which is alright
What's wrong with Yonkers?

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
ap215

Congratulations and welcome to the Big Apple.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Synergy27

I live in Weehawken which is situated on the western shore of the hudson on a cliff overlooking Manhattan just above the Lincoln Tunnel helix. Many people prefer Hoboken (which is about 3/4 mile south of where I live) because of the night life, but I am still within walking distance and I pay about half the rent for a comparable place that I would be paying in Hoboken, and probably about 1/4 of what it would cost in Manhattan. I am currently on the top floor of a 2 family home that was listed as a 2-bedroom, but was easily converted into a very comfortable 3 bedroom, for $1900/month.

As far as getting to the city is concerned, a $2 Jitney can get me to Port Authority (42nd St. and 8th Ave., i.e. midtown) in less than 10 minutes (20-25 minutes during the rush hours) as we are literally the last stop before hitting the tunnel. It runs all night too, so if you are looking to experience the NYC nightlife you don't have to worry about getting home at 5AM.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 12:00 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
What's wrong with Yonkers?
nothing its cool, if your a young guy moving to ny, yonkers proabably isn't the 1st place. i mean im only 20, still young if i had the money id rather live in queens or brooklyn if i could, yonkers is more of middle age to older people, at least thats what it feels like.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
there's tons of different places to go depending on what you're willing to spend. There's also tons of places to go depending on what you like and it's tough to suggest because not everything is for everyone. Many people are moving up to the Washington Heights section of Manhattan - but for many, it's too scary. Ditto some areas of the Bronx. Astoria, Queens is a decent bang for the buck and proximity to the City. Ditto Sunnyside, Queens. Brooklyn has a fair amount of places quite close to the City, but you're paying almost City rents. Williamsburg's moving up, but still is pretty affordable and just over the bridge and is thus a quick cab ride, and reasonable fare. A bit south of Park Slope is pretty reasonable too and there are other areas opening up in Brooklyn, such as Fort Greene, Boerum Hill, Prospect Heights and others (which are near where the Nets' arena will go up), which are all within 45 minutes to midtown via train and 20 minutes by taxi (some less). Even where I am in Windsor Terrace, which has affordable apartments, the subway ride to downtown is about 15-20 minutes. I've gotten to Chinatown in 8 minutes (quicker than those living above 42 street in Manhattan). Lots of choices, but all depends on tastes. You don't need to live in the City to experience the City - although there's still nothing like it and I miss it to death.
I also live in Windsor Terrace and absolutely I love it. Safe neighborhood, fair prices, right by park slope and the amazing prospect park. It's an active area but it's away from the relentless intensity of manhattan.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
nothing its cool, if your a young guy moving to ny, yonkers proabably isn't the 1st place. i mean im only 20, still young if i had the money id rather live in queens or brooklyn if i could, yonkers is more of middle age to older people, at least thats what it feels like.
According to 50 Cent, besides him all the other hard ******, they come from Yonkers.

Jadakiss, Styles P and DMX concur.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote