HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Montoya on Prospects Board

Old
09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
While I obviously know nothing of the stories he's talking about, would it really be any surprise to anyone that a college athlete might be a *****?

Unless he's forcing himself on girls or something (stupid word filter forces some awkward phrasing), I wouldn't be surprised if he was an arrogant dick in college, and I wouldn't give a good ******* since most college students are morons anyways
It's the nature of big time college athletics: players get put on a pedestal by the entire campus and pretty much get whatever they want, often this turns them into jerks. I've heard some stories about Cornell players too (I've also heard some very good stories as well), it's just the nature of the beast. It's hard to judge an 18 year old freshman or 19 year old sophmore in that situation, it's all to easy to fall into an ugly behavior pattern because everyone around you allows it. People mature over time, how many of havn't looked back at a period in our lives and said "man, I was a dick"?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see Michael Sauer end up being a better defenseman than Marc Staal over the long haul. Staal is way overrated because most of his stellar play has come against teenagers. The pros are making him look irrelevant once again at the NHL level and he's at least a year away from becoming a Ranger.

Of course he's only 20 years old so he has a long time to develop but fans should stop thinking that he's going to be good as his brothers. Even the Sutter brothers had a couple of stinkers in the group. Marc is not Eric and he's not Jordan. People should stop expecting him to be.
You maybe right, but until he plays in the NHL this is also just speculation. He's still young and has tons of time to improve his game, and he's been doing exactly that for a while now. I think as the competition improves, so will he.

Seriously, training camp doesn't mean ****. I bet you would be timid if they put you up against Jagr too, who has 16 more years of NHL experience than Staal does.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 02:29 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
You maybe right, but until he plays in the NHL this is also just speculation. He's still young and has tons of time to improve his game, and he's been doing exactly that for a while now. I think as the competition improves, so will he.

Seriously, training camp doesn't mean ****. I bet you would be timid if they put you up against Jagr too, who has 16 more years of NHL experience than Staal does.
One of any rookies greatest fears is "what if I do something and JJ/Shanny/Straka/etc gets hurt and misses part/all of season". Players tend to let up and be very tense. That would make anyone very tentative around NYR's stars. When he plays opposing teams in exhibitions, different story and I bet he really plays well and makes team.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote