HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Official Training Camp Thread

Old
09-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
1. Had a VERY preseason feel to it. My girlfriend was puzzled by the sloppiness.

Tell her you'll do better next time, the first kiss is always the toughest.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Pred303

a fun evening.. always great to get back to real hockey...

a few quick very general observations, first about non-game stuff;

...it was good to meet many new posters down at the glass in pregame. if you post, you should make it a habit to come down and talk and introduce yourself to everyone.
...my old suite (3) has been rented by one of the new owners, herb fritch. didn't get to meet him tonight, but he'll be right beside me every game, should be interesting
...great to see old hockey friends after a summer away
...met freeman tonight. a nice guy. he is about 6'10" if you didn't know (and i didn't). he plans on taking over suite 7 from leipold if/when this all goes thru. he was confident it's going to, but kind of dodged specifics
...a group of the players that were scratches wandered into the box tonight. lost. got to meet and talk to several of them. pihlstrom, ortmeyer, peverly, vigilante, and niskala. except for otmeyer, they looked like they were about 16 years old, had to laugh at how lost they all were, so i tried to get them to stay with us. the one i got to talk to the most was pihlstrom. what an excited kid he was to be here. i was surprised at how good his english was, which is a good thing because my finnish sucks. told him how good i thought he had looked in camp and he beamed. he was so disappointed to not be playing, told me "i've never played in front of this big a crowd before". told him maybe saturday, he said "maybe, i sure would like to play a game here". cann't help but like this kid.
..was told leipold will be at both the oct 4th and 6th home games, but not til then.
..attendance was ok, listed as 13,430 there, but i would guess closer to 12 actually in the building

now as to the game itself..

...a bit ragged of course. always is when you have this many non-roster players fighting for recognition on both sides. hard to establish any decent flow out there.
...one of my favorite things about these early scrimmages when you have both vets and rookies out playing is to watch the difference in how they handle the speed of the game. vets seem to be so deliberate in everything they do. they think out there, and take their time and let the play come to them. meanwhile the new kids are playing everything at 110 miles per hour. you can truly see the game "slow down" for the veteran players.
..you could see that in most of the youngsters we played tonight. lots of fumbled passes, lots of pucks overskated, passes just out of the reach of teammates. normal rookie stuff. sulzer for example seemed to be playing catchh with ahand grenade early, then settled down and put a nice shot on net late. franson looked very poised i thought, as did thuresnon. while the game was moving a million miles an hour for santorelli and oreilly
...one way we can make up for some of this lost goal scoring is for our defensemen to score some goals. tonight zidlicky, suter and even sulzer each with really good shots.
...great to see zids score the first one, he's the one we have to have step up on the blueline.
...bonk and gelinas looked mighty good together. bonk is going to be a real asset on this team. funny how you cann't tell anything about the older guys until the puck really drops. really liked bonk banging away at the puck down low tonight, in the past hartnell is the only guy we had that would do that. really liked bonk trying to dig the puck out from under their goalie three or four times once on a pp.

...the pp looked ok. back to an overload formation, changing at times to an umbrella and then back again. gave them something to think about. much more take the open point shot and go after the rebound basic stuff, much less cutesy passing tries. this will work with weber and zidlicky or suter on the points with guys crashing the net. suter's goal and sulzers (thorenson) listed as even strength for some reason, but they were both on the pp, so we should have been 3 for whatever on the pp. more than one pp goal a game will win you a lot of games.
..the pk overal looked a little out of sinc. probably because of so many early penalties and especially so many new faces out there. bonk and gelinas will be good pk'ers.
...shame mason gave up that 5 on 3, because he had stood on his head for about 1 1/2 minutes.
...both goalies played ok. mason seemed a little rusty i thought and overreacted some, but he was really active and didn't let in any he could have stopped. rinne played fine and made some fine pad saves on difficult screened shots from the point. rinne helped himself tonight.

well, that's more than enough for tonight, more tomorrow as i think of it

Last edited by Pred303: 09-20-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 12:57 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
...a group of the players that were scratches wandered into the box tonight. lost. got to meet and talk to several of them. pihlstrom, ortmeyer, peverly, vigilante, and niskala. except for otmeyer, they looked like they were about 16 years old, had to laugh at how lost they all were, so i tried to get them to stay with us. the one i got to talk to the most was pihlstrom. what an excited kid he was to be here. i was surprised at how good his english was, which is a good thing because my finnish sucks. told him how good i thought he had looked in camp and he beamed. he was so disappointed to not be playing, told me "i've never played in front of this big a crowd before". told him maybe saturday, he said "maybe, i sure would like to play a game here". cann't help but like this kid.

..attendance was ok, listed as 13,430 there, but i would guess closer to 12 actually in the building
I saw Weber and a bunch of other players in a box under where it says Home of the 2003 Draft. We joked that he was babysitting all the young ones there. No one recognized the other ones so we all assumed they were prospects.

I'm just glad the att. was listed over 10K.

The new scoreboard is great!!!!! A few kinks to work out, like the shot counter, but it's great. The TV screen is like looking at the players through binoculars, it's so clear!

The game overall wasn't bad, sloppy here and there, but it's fun watching these young guys give their all out there trying to impress the coaches. The vets looked good. Hammer with his patented hip check.

Franson is going to be great. He's so big. He was very calm and had a nice shot on goal. And he just ragdolled some guy, that was like Weber last year against a RedWing. I think he could force himself on the team next season. I was just really impressed with him.

Arnott looked mean out there and more aggressive than I remember from last year, perhaps stepping up due to the 'C'. I like it.

Dumont will be important. He was all over the ice.

I like Bonk in front of the net. He was digging around like Hartnell did.

Quite obvious that we sat back after we got up 5-2. ATL started coming after us and we were just kind of caught standing around. But after they scored the 3rd goal we regrouped, that was good to see.

PP/PK was decent. Rookies and guys like Hordi/Toots on both groups but they were effective.

Anyways...good to be back. Good win, to be up 2-0 is nice. I wonder if it surprises some people that we're playing well, I guess we'll see how we do with the rest of these b2b games. I love our defense, it has to be one of the best in the league. With the vets play tonight and the play of some others the other night in CBJ, I'm not so worried. I like the team more and more.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 01:23 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Tootoo had the most ice time of all forwards, the only one with over 20mins.. Hamhuis had the most overall. Arnott/Dumont seemed to be held back in the third period (I guess to rest), I didn't notice them much.

I like the new jerseys. Except I don't like it on the goalies, they all look like they are wearing big T-shirts.

I don't like ATL's white jersey. I think the numbers on the back are too thin. And with the dark sleeves and piping all I could think was they look like they are wearing white halter tops.

Old
09-21-2007, 09:34 AM
handtrick

just a couple things to add as a lot of the stuff has been covered:

I like the new scoreboard as well, but did anybody notice when they showed fans they all looked like they had masks on...their faces seemed fake....I don't know just looked a little "weird."

Interesting to see Hordi take a "regular shift" 11:37 TOI has to be some sort of record for the guy.....a hard as worker on the ice as you are gonna find on this team....I wouldn't mind him seeing some regular shifts throughout the game as he does have decent quickness and a good forecheck, and can definitely create some havoc in front of the net as long as the refs aren't gonna call him for just touching somebody. If he gets a regular shift now and again, maybe the refs won't be so hypercritical of his every move out there.

Speaking of puckbunnies....ah, never mind......but my 13 yr old did make the comment that Pred303 had "the stench of an old gigalo" when he talked to him again at the conclusion of the game.....

Glad to finally get to see Franson at length. He is a lot more poised than I thought he would be, notably different than Sulzer at the beginning of the game. There is no doubt that the coaches have emphasized that he needs to develop the "physical aspect of his game" as he was trying to Weberize some guys out there a few times.....since he and Shea are childhood friends, I can see him maturing in that direction as time goes on...also he is quite articulate and mature sounding on the post game last night.

It was great to see Arnott and Dumont having their way out there, but it is hard to draw any conclusions at this point with the veterans and what kind of year they are gonna have as they were playing against a team of essentially all prospects and AHLers except for Holic....Preseason games are much more important to me in seeing what the prospects bring to the table.
I was pleased with what I saw in Thuresson, Sulzer....not so much with Santorelli. Very underimpressed with O'Reilly as I was expecting more from him. Langfeld seems that he will be Ramzi Abid redux, but without the potential for a fluke hattrick.

Gelinas and Bonk are gonna be GREAT additions to this team on so many different levels....I agree that we will likely see them together on a line most of the time unless Gelinas has to play of the scoring line due to injuries.

Can't agree more that it was AWESOME to see Zids and Suter wire those onetimers from about 40 feet.....we gotta have goal production from the blueline this year.

The most unbelieveable play of the night was Dumont driving, spinning, falling down, backhanding the no-look pass to Fiddler for the tap in......even Fiddler with the not-so-sweet hands can score with passes like that. Kudos to Fids for being there wear he needed to be, but Dumont showed no rust last night.

Interesting to see Trotz's shot over the bow to Toots this morning:
"Trotz says he wants to see more than just Tootoo's traditionally hard-hitting play this season.

"The last couple of years, he's played a little higher role at times, but he has had no production, really, to speak of,'' Trotz said Thursday morning, prior to the contest. "He's got to start producing this year and making steps forward, and contributing in different roles.

"He's going to get that opportunity. If he can't do it, then we'll let someone else try.''

Devries better show me more than he did last night. Most Atlanta fans were not unhappy to see him not resigned despite having a less than stellar blueline. I hope he really is that glue to the blueline that he was brought in to be, but I predict he will be the biggest dissappointment of all of this year's free agent signings.

All in all, great seeing all the old faces and meeting the new ones....already looking forward to Saturday.

Last edited by handtrick: 09-21-2007 at 02:22 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 09:36 AM
iamcaper

Send a message via ICQ to iamcaper
I'd love to see some comments on the goaltending of Mason and Rinne if anybody has any.

iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
Tootoo had the most ice time of all forwards, the only one with over 20mins.. Hamhuis had the most overall. Arnott/Dumont seemed to be held back in the third period (I guess to rest), I didn't notice them much.

I like the new jerseys. Except I don't like it on the goalies, they all look like they are wearing big T-shirts.

I don't like ATL's white jersey. I think the numbers on the back are too thin. And with the dark sleeves and piping all I could think was they look like they are wearing white halter tops.

Ummm, Spank - Toots ice time was only 12:05 for 17 shifts with 1 missed shot 2 penalities for 7 minutes and 1 hit.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 10:48 AM
braindead

A lot of similar thoughts but here are some impressions from last night:

Prospects

Franson: I finally saw the light last night. He handled the puck really well, was calm, showed a physical side and moved well. He looked a lot more like a Weber than I've ever seen.

Sulzer: In addition to the goal, I thought he was very solid after finding his footing. This also was a bit of a revelation-- I think he can contribute for the Ads. He moved much better than I expected.

Thurreson: He seemed to have a good nose for the puck and for proper positioning. Nothing spectacular but a very solid game.

Ellison and Langfeld: Better than I expected-- both were solidly ok. They could be a solid callup for Fiddler/Tootoo/Nichols/Smithson injury. As someone mentioned, probably a Ramzi Abid type callup but more grind from both. Both were active and were decent on the forecheck I thought.

Santorelli hustled but had one of the worst games of the group. Ditto for O'Reilly. Not really a knock on them long-term but they just looked the most like youngsters out there.

The Regulars-- as someone said, its hard to judge since the competition was not stellar. Just a few observations:

Fiddler: Maybe there is a reason Trotz coaches this team instead of me. He had a solid game and didn't seem out of place.

Suter: Great game. Very excited about his potential for the year.

Hamhuis: Very good game. He had a few errors but seemed very poised and played a mature game.

Bonk/Gelinas: This was a brilliant combo from David Poile. If Sully can get back and our Top 6 remain healthy, these two will be the core of a very good, very versatile 3rd line. I really liked what I saw.

Tootoo: Not much to say but I thought he was playing more than looking for the big hit. Clearly from his play and the Trotz quotes, he will need to find success beyond his past role. I still think he has a chance at succeeding but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Arnott: Played with real fire-- I think giving him the "C" may be a bigger deal than I realized. He played like he wanted to be the man.

DeVries: I can see why he played on Atlanta's D last year-- he would have looked more at home among the big, slow, mediocre passing guys on the other end of the ice. Hopefully this is more that he seems that way by comparison to the rest of our D than because he really is that way.

Mason/Rhinne: I thought both looked good. I had forgotten just how much Mason uses the "safe" rebound-- it can be hard to watch at times. Pekka looked much, much better than the limited time I saw in practices. He is a big presence and moved well. He handled the puck pretty well for a guy that I think isn't a particularly great puck handler.

Most disappointing moment: I really wanted to see Antii Philstrom in the game to better judge where he is at.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 06:28 PM
handtrick

Nashville vs Canes 9/21

Legwand C
Weber A
Nichol A

Erat/Legwand/Radulov
Phistrom/Nichol/Tootoo
Wilson/Smithson/Ortmeyer
Langfeld/Peverly/Willis

Weber/Koistenen
Zanon/Niskala
Sulzer/Yonkman

Dan Ellis 1st part, Rinne 2nd part

Old
09-21-2007, 10:18 PM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Ummm, Spank - Toots ice time was only 12:05 for 17 shifts with 1 missed shot 2 penalities for 7 minutes and 1 hit.
hmm, that was from the Preds recap. Maybe they wrote the wrong guys time. Figures, I knew that was weird.

Old
09-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Pred303

tonight's attendance will be low... this game on none of the partial plans, so basically you will see only the full season ticket holders, plus walkups...

people talk about the base of 9250 like that's the minimum amount we start with, when in reality we have about 6000 full season ticket holders, with about 7000 others with some type of partials making up the other 3250 or so full season ticket equivalents... (that 13k+ is what we basically saw as the announced attendance at the first preseason home game and why we saw that amount)..

games like tonight with no plans lining up will be the huge attendance worry nights this season.. as an example, the october 6th saturday night game against dallas, the 2nd home game is on no partial plans.. pete and terry announced the other night there were still roughly 8,000 tickets still remaining for that one..

that's why i'm really interested in seeing the 'announced' attendance for tonight, because whatever we see above 6k will be 'walkup tickets', and might give us a beginning idea of how many walkups we can realistically begin to expect once the season starts with these new higher ticket prices and all the changes and bad publicity

Old
09-22-2007, 10:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Santorelli
Stehlik
O'Reilly
Maki
Matheson
Franson
Sulzer
Setzinger
Pihlstrom
Thuresson
Willis
Grumet-Morris
Daigneault
Vigilante
Wilson

All sent down after the game tonight.

Really hoped Pihlstrom would impress enough to swipe Tootoo's spot, but oh well.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Panopticon

So which D-men are left and who has the best chances?

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
So which D-men are left and who has the best chances?
weber, suter, zidlicky, zanon, devries, hamhuis of course

and then koistinen, klein and niskala.. with klein on IR, it's simply between koistinen and niskala for the 7th spot, and koistinen is the odds on favorite to stay because he has to clear waivers and niskala doesn't

Old
09-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
weber, suter, zidlicky, zanon, devries, hamhuis of course

and then koistinen, klein and niskala.. with klein on IR, it's simply between koistinen and niskala for the 7th spot, and koistinen is the odds on favorite to stay because he has to clear waivers and niskala doesn't
If Koistinen makes the team, do you see him as the 7th defenseman, or could he possibly move past either Zanon or De Vries?

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
If Koistinen makes the team, do you see him as the 7th defenseman, or could he possibly move past either Zanon or De Vries?
More then likely he'd be behind Zanon and de Vries, since he would be used in a different role. Although if this is the same de Vries as last year in Atlanta, he'll have a shot of passing de Vries up.

Stranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 10:34 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
More then likely he'd be behind Zanon and de Vries, since he would be used in a different role. Although if this is the same de Vries as last year in Atlanta, he'll have a shot of passing de Vries up.

Is de Vries the new Houlder already!!!!!
Anyone still see a scenario where we package Koistenen and a forward for something?

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:09 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post
Anyone still see a scenario where we package Koistenen and a forward for something?
I would love to see Koistenen and Tootoo packaged up for a decent forward prospect.....but do I think it will really happen....not really.

Old
09-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post
I think Koistinen will be kept around at least until we find out if Zidlicky can recover in the offensive department, especially with Timonen gone. If Zidlicky starts lighting it up again, there will be less of a need for Koistinen, unless its on the other PP department. It will also depend on how Klein is recovering from his injury and what is going on in the forward department.

Once Klein comes back, a decision will be made unless we get a good offer before that point. That being said, Klein will likely have much more of a trade value ulness a team is desperate for a cheap offensive defensemen. And our forwards really don't have much trade value.

I think we could see a similar deal to the Lehtonen to Buffalo trade, except for a draft pick in the later rounds.

Stranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Phenomenon

Koistinen can add value to the PP department and can handle the small defensive role as well, so he is a useful depth player. There is of course a chance that he will pan out, but his level of play has been quite decent the past couple of years, so it is unlikely that he suddenly takes a huge jump forward.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Pred303

some of our 'official' pre-season stats are sort of interesting after 5 games, if relatively meaningless (and in some cases slightly inaccurate)

2 for 39 on the powerplay officially, 5.9% the lowest in the league in preseason
33 for 36 on the penalty kill, 90.9%, probably pretty close to where we want to be percentage wise, 'officially,5th best in the league in pre-season

our three goalies stats read well (especially considering we've faced 36 powerplays including 3 5 on 3's thus far);

ellis with a 0.66 gaa, and a .976 save percentage
rinne with a 2.31 gaa, and a .931 save percentage
mason with a 2.39 gaa, and a .927 save percentage

Old
09-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Pred303

rumor has it, that ellis will be kept up, and rinne sent down.. final announcement expected saturday after the game, or sunday..

hard to argue with this if true (pretty accurate rumor source to be honest).. besides playing lights out in every game he's been in this preseason, ellis has to clear waivers and rinne doesn't of course... so it would for sure give the preds a little more options, by taking the outside chance ellis got claimed being sent down.. was told this was the final factor, but that they always want rinne to get as much work as possible

Old
09-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I actually preferred to have Ellis up. I like having both Ellis and Rinne in the system, and I think we will be fine with this decision.

09-27-2007, 11:37 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I actually preferred to have Ellis up. I like having both Ellis and Rinne in the system, and I think we will be fine with this decision.
I couldn't agree more let Ellis cover for Mason when he needs a break and hopefully his play during the pre-season will translate to the regular season. All while Rinne gets all the game starts in Milwaukee.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
rumor has it, that ellis will be kept up, and rinne sent down.. final announcement expected saturday after the game, or sunday..

hard to argue with this if true (pretty accurate rumor source to be honest).. besides playing lights out in every game he's been in this preseason, ellis has to clear waivers and rinne doesn't of course... so it would for sure give the preds a little more options, by taking the outside chance ellis got claimed being sent down.. was told this was the final factor, but that they always want rinne to get as much work as possible
Not surprised at all. This allows the organization to maintain some depth at the position by not exposing Ellis to waivers and also allows Rinne to be the starter in Milwaukee again to stay sharp and continue his development.

As I said at the beginning of camp, I really think that the final decision has come down to waiver status. Rinne doesn't have to clear waivers, while Ellis does. Unless Rinne totally outplayed Ellis and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he had nothing left to gain by playing consistently in Milwaukee on a nightly basis.

I think Ellis really wants this shot after missing out on the backup position in Dallas last season. As long as he continues to work hard and perform when he gets the opportunity, I think we will be pretty solid in net this season.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote