HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Stajan - By The Numbers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2004, 10:24 AM
  #26
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
Oh, how I hate being the nay-sayer. . .
Somehow I doubt it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
Stajan has indeed had a good year. Everytime I've seen him play I've been extremely impressed with the hard work he puts out on the ice, his ability to position himself accurately defensively and causes a little havoc on the when in the offensive zone.
This is all true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
But why do so many Leaf fans project him to be the saviour of the team in the future?
Saviour is a strong word, but it's not unreasonable at all to get excited about Stajan. He's going to be a big part of this team for many years.

And besides, just read this thread. It's not just Leaf fans who are saying these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
He possesses a lot of good qualities, but certainly not enough to make him anything more than a really good 3rd-liner/spot 2nd-liner
He's looking like he could become a very good 2nd liner. That's great.

Remember Nieuwendyk in Dallas? He was "only a 2nd-liner" but he played an HUGE role in the success of that team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
(hence the term "energy winger").
First of all, Stajan's a natural center and has played center for the majority of the year.

Secondly, the term "energy winger" is reserved more for physical players who don't score a lot, but come out and bang and fight.

I don't see how this applies to Stajan in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
I think he'll be Dallas Drake without the stupid penalties.
This is an awful comparison.

Stajan is on pace for 16 goals.

In 12 seasons, Dallas Drake has scored 16 goals only 4 times. And he's never had more than 20.

Plus, as mentioned before, Stajan spent the first half of the season averaging about 8 minutes a night. And he's played on a line with guys like Fitzgerald, Domi, Belak and Perrott all year long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
I love the kid, but he's just not that skilled.
How about the goals where he had the veteran broadcasters comparing him to Dave Keon?

And did you see him in the Young Stars game?

Stajan has plenty skill.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 11:15 AM
  #27
Volcanologist
Used Register
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cosmodrome
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,917
vCash: 500
Stajan has a decent chance to be a top-6 forward. He's shown a real good offensive touch and is a skilled defensive player as well. All at age 20.

I'd like to see what the kid could do with 15-20 minutes of ice.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 11:45 AM
  #28
leaflover
New hope
 
leaflover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: beautiful B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,955
vCash: 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
I've read he's actually gained weight during this season.

If that is the case, it looks like he's going to be able to add some size and maybe be able to be more physical.
Hopefully he can add some strength to his game,he loses too many battles for the puck because he's simply overpowered.He's not likely to grow any more but a good full body strengthening program would sure help.
Very good season though and a bright light for the future.A kid that in todays watered down NHL talent base i consider to have 2nd line skill/desire potential.

leaflover is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 12:17 PM
  #29
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
I heard in an interview on MOJO that he gives his utmost respect to the Leafs' training staf who have added a good ten pounds to him throughout the season. And yes, Stajan did lose weight in junior due to playing 20-30 minutes a night.

I think that he'll become a 60 point (25-30 G, 30-35 A) two-way centre when his time comes. I also believe he should keep room on his trophy rack for the Selke trophy, as I have seen very few players at 19 who possess his defensive skills and vision.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 01:40 PM
  #30
RoadWarrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 1,040
vCash: 500
Stajan has been rewarded for his efforts. Quinn scratched him from tonights game.

RoadWarrior is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 02:35 PM
  #31
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I think he can be like an Alyn McCauley, maybe better since he hasn't had injury problems.

He has a similar game to McCauley, who I have always admired and was sad to lose.

But I think Stajan has more offensive upside and goes to the net more often.

Certainly at similar points in their career, Stajan is superior to McCauley.

Augustus is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 02:58 PM
  #32
Schenn02
Registered User
 
Schenn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: abroad
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior
Stajan has been rewarded for his efforts. Quinn scratched him from tonights game.
Damn Quinn. Here's a kid that has had many MULTI-POINT nights. Quinn can't see past the veterans first priority "rule" that he has. It's unfair. Stajan deserves a spot in the lineup. I'm not watching tonights game, maybe a bit of the first but thats it. It's gonna be a disasterous game. I'm glad that I didn't convince my parents to let me go to Buffalo for tonights game.

Schenn02 is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 03:07 PM
  #33
Volcanologist
Used Register
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cosmodrome
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,917
vCash: 500
Quinn benched him because he was horrible defensively against Montreal.

Stajan was repeatedly unable to get the puck out of the zone, and his turnovers led to 2 of Montreal's goals.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 03:27 PM
  #34
Schenn02
Registered User
 
Schenn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: abroad
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
I see, I wasn't able to watch the Montreal game *gasp* because we had a family emergency. I don't see why he doesn't bench Domi. Jeez, oh well that is one of the disadvantages of the injury bug vacant for the time being.

Schenn02 is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 05:47 PM
  #35
King of Stankonia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: aka Kubina_Fan Blues fan in Ontario loving Calgary
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Saviour is a strong word, but it's not unreasonable at all to get excited about Stajan. He's going to be a big part of this team for many years.
I'd hesitate to say "big part". Mats Sundin is a big part of the Leafs. Ed Belfour is a big part of the Leafs. If he does indeed become a good 2nd liner as you predict, he still isn't a big part of the Leafs. Maybe a key part that every team needs, but not a big part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
He's looking like he could become a very good 2nd liner. That's great.

Remember Nieuwendyk in Dallas? He was "only a 2nd-liner" but he played an HUGE role in the success of that team.
I guess it's all about what you see. I personally don't see Stajan becoming a very good top-six forward nor do I even see him being a good top-six forward.

Never did I say that a 2nd liner couldn't have any impact on the game. Nieuwendyk was integral to the Cup dreams of the Stars, but wasn't nescessarily a 2nd line center because of talent; you try finding a player in the NHL that should usurp Mike Modano as a top line center.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't see Stajan as having the talent to be a Nieuwendyk player in his prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Secondly, the term "energy winger" is reserved more for physical players who don't score a lot, but come out and bang and fight.

I don't see how this applies to Stajan in the least.
It's true that the term "energy winger" is generally used for muckers and bangers, but that doesn't mean that one must fight or hit everything in sight to be "energy wingers". Jay Pandolfo and Kris Draper are two of the best energy players in the game yet they don't rely on dropping the gloves or running around decapitating players with monster hits in every game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
This is an awful comparison.

Stajan is on pace for 16 goals.

In 12 seasons, Dallas Drake has scored 16 goals only 4 times. And he's never had more than 20.

Plus, as mentioned before, Stajan spent the first half of the season averaging about 8 minutes a night. And he's played on a line with guys like Fitzgerald, Domi, Belak and Perrott all year long.
Dallas Drake's first season as a Red Wing ended with him having 18 goals and 26 assists. Matt Stajan is only on pace for 16 goals and 15 assists in more games. Does that mean that we can conclude that Stajan is a worse player than Drake? Obviously not, and I'm sure I'd be hung from the arches of Union Station if I were to state that.

Dallas Drake is 6-1 190. He plays a solid 2-way style and is effective in both ends of the rink. He hurts his team by taking bad penalties at inopportune times. He has moderate offensive ability. Aside from the bad penalties (which I had taken out of the equation), I don't see how this is such a bad comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
How about the goals where he had the veteran broadcasters comparing him to Dave Keon?

And did you see him in the Young Stars game?

Stajan has plenty skill.
Veteran broadcasters compare lots of young players to players of yore. How many players have been compared to Mike Bossy and not lived up to it?

As for the Young Stars game, it means nothing. It would be like using the All-Star game as a true evaluation of a player.

King of Stankonia is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 09:48 PM
  #36
Cap'n Flavour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
It's true that the term "energy winger" is generally used for muckers and bangers, but that doesn't mean that one must fight or hit everything in sight to be "energy wingers". Jay Pandolfo and Kris Draper are two of the best energy players in the game yet they don't rely on dropping the gloves or running around decapitating players with monster hits in every game.

Dallas Drake is 6-1 190. He plays a solid 2-way style and is effective in both ends of the rink. He hurts his team by taking bad penalties at inopportune times. He has moderate offensive ability. Aside from the bad penalties (which I had taken out of the equation), I don't see how this is such a bad comparison.
Uh, so your term 'energy winger' then just refers to any two-way player? I don't understand. I don't see Stajan as being a great momentum shifter with good defensive and nice passes, those aren't typically the sort of plays that get a team or the crowd going regardless of how valuable they are. I mean with that argument I can just say Sakic is an energy center with his scoring and playmaking ability.

Also, I still stand by my point that energy wingers have to be wingers to count as energy wingers. Maybe you can argue in Draper's case since a lot of what he brings comes on the penalty kill ( offensively and defensively ) but frankly, I don't see the point. Reichel is probably the closest comparison Stajan has to another player on the Leafs ( and that's not to slight either of them, they've both been effective this year ) so take that as you will.

Cap'n Flavour is offline  
Old
03-15-2004, 11:52 PM
  #37
King of Stankonia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: aka Kubina_Fan Blues fan in Ontario loving Calgary
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour
Uh, so your term 'energy winger' then just refers to any two-way player? I don't understand. I don't see Stajan as being a great momentum shifter with good defensive and nice passes, those aren't typically the sort of plays that get a team or the crowd going regardless of how valuable they are. I mean with that argument I can just say Sakic is an energy center with his scoring and playmaking ability.

Also, I still stand by my point that energy wingers have to be wingers to count as energy wingers. Maybe you can argue in Draper's case since a lot of what he brings comes on the penalty kill ( offensively and defensively ) but frankly, I don't see the point. Reichel is probably the closest comparison Stajan has to another player on the Leafs ( and that's not to slight either of them, they've both been effective this year ) so take that as you will.
I wasn't trying to say that all 2-way players count as "energy players/wingers". Mike Sillinger is a good two-way player, but I wouldn't classify him as particularly energetic. Stajan has done well at fore-checking, digging in the corners, and play along the boards. He's come up with some key hits (though not concussion-inducing) and generally injects "energy" into a line. That is what an energy player is to me.

At this point, I'd classify Stajan projecting as a winger/center who could become quite proficient at face-offs. I just see him to be a better fit on the wing. There are a number of players that have played center in juniors than been found a better home as a flank (e.g. Alex Tanguay, Cory Stillman).

King of Stankonia is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 01:48 AM
  #38
musdy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
In the Leafs rankings, they had Steen and Stajan ranked back to back in the 1st round. They choose Steen and were thrilled when Staj was still around in the 2nd.
And I remember everyone, including myself, were so mad that we didn't take Jiri Hudler. I guess the Leafs scouts knew what they were doing afterall.

musdy is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 02:07 AM
  #39
musdy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
I have to reiterate this, I can't wait until Steen plays for the Leafs, from all the reviews I've read about him, he could be a more physical Stajan. I hope there's hockey next season cuz I'm looking forward to watch Coliaicovo (sp) for a full season and Telly as well.

musdy is offline  
Old
03-16-2004, 02:15 AM
  #40
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrehedinrocks
I have to reiterate this, I can't wait until Steen plays for the Leafs, from all the reviews I've read about him, he could be a more physical Stajan. I hope there's hockey next season cuz I'm looking forward to watch Coliaicovo (sp) for a full season and Telly as well.
Steen's a much better player then Stajan.

He's fearless, faster, smoother, great vision, great hands, as good defensively.

I can't wait.

leafaholix* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.