HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Quit your b*tchin and play

Old
09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
vexXed

vCash: 500
Quit your b*tchin and play

Just back from a practice game and towards the end of it in our zone, a forward beat me to the outside so I pivoted and skated so I was at 4 o clock in relation to him and then I used a good, not hard and low stick check to poke the puck away. For whatever reason he stumbles, gets up, shoves me while my back is turned and then starts *****ing at me saying I slashed his glove, shoving me again. Utter b.s. so I shove him once and tell him to stop talking crap.

Everyone in that rink, especially me heard the sound of two sticks clashing, not the dull thud of stick against foam with plastic inserts, which is why there was no penalty. I just can't believe that these primadonnas think no one is allowed to take the puck off them and make ridiculous claims as excuses. It just makes me want to play my hardest against them and there is no way I am going to ease off so they can be hotdogs. I just don't get it. I never ever play with that kind of attitude and just get on with the game. Also, god forbid if someone did actually slash my glove then my poor hand would be obliterated right? I mean, I would have to get a hook to replace it...

/rant

Anyone else have to deal with this crap in your leagues?

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
newfish

Send a message via AIM to newfish
Ha Ha nice. Yea thats the best when you hit someone whos a hotdog, and then they start talking ****. I dont talk I just play. Even if the guys in my face, I just stare at him and dont say a word. I think by doing that it eithers scares them more or they dont try anything near me, which is kinda funny.

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 01:39 PM
stick9

Dude, I can't tell you how many times I've had that happen to me in both pick up and league games. This one time not to long ago. I pushed by a guy to get to the puck and he freaked out, crossed checked me up high from behind and jumped on top of me. He was screaming something I'm sick of him high sticking me. My stick was waist high at the time.

Honestly, if you can't take a little bump here and there and some stick on stick play, don't play hockey. It's part of the game even in no checks leagues. The most annoying thing to me is the guys who whine about it are usually the first guys throwing open ice hits when the ref isn't looking. It's like you can't play hard against anyone.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
Just back from a practice game and towards the end of it in our zone, a forward beat me to the outside so I pivoted and skated so I was at 4 o clock in relation to him and then I used a good, not hard and low stick check to poke the puck away. For whatever reason he stumbles, gets up, shoves me while my back is turned and then starts *****ing at me saying I slashed his glove, shoving me again. Utter b.s. so I shove him once and tell him to stop talking crap.

Everyone in that rink, especially me heard the sound of two sticks clashing, not the dull thud of stick against foam with plastic inserts, which is why there was no penalty. I just can't believe that these primadonnas think no one is allowed to take the puck off them and make ridiculous claims as excuses. It just makes me want to play my hardest against them and there is no way I am going to ease off so they can be hotdogs. I just don't get it. I never ever play with that kind of attitude and just get on with the game. Also, god forbid if someone did actually slash my glove then my poor hand would be obliterated right? I mean, I would have to get a hook to replace it...

/rant

Anyone else have to deal with this crap in your leagues?
small rink?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 01:55 PM
The refs love me

Every league of every level I've ever played in.

We had a kid one year, coming into the game we saw in 5 games, he had 22 goals and 5 assists, so we knew he'd be easy to D up. In the second period we were up 3-1 and he had not a whiff of the score sheet. He tried to go at our D one on two and one of our faster forwards caught him from behind, lifted his stick and removed the puck from his possession. This guy then proceeds to whip his stick around and break his stick over the hip of our forward. Yelling about slashing or something. He actually tossed off his gloves and jumped on our guy who was lying on the ice after stopping a Sherwood with his hip bone.

Needless to say that was the first time I was thrown out of a game for fighting.

Last edited by The refs love me: 09-24-2007 at 02:26 PM.
The refs love me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
That is my biggest pet peeve about hockey is players that can't take a little nudge or bump from time to time. In a league hockey game you're always gonna ge the "hot dog" players that think they're better or above you and that's fine with me.

But pick up hockey is far less serious, most players are just out to get a little work out and pass the puck around, thoses you take pick up too seriously need some help.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 02:06 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
One of my big pet peeves, if I may piggyback your thread, is the players who are obviously too good to be playing in a lower division. This summer I played in a division 7 men's league. For the most part our team was very evenly matched up against the other teams, except for 1 guy. There is always that 1 guy on each team who can skate circles around the other team. Why in the hell are these people playing at this level? Just to be with friends? It's really annoying when an otherwise fun, intense, even matched game gets wrecked by some guy who dances around everyone, gets a hat trick, then plays D for the rest of the game. There was one guy in the league who had double the points of the 2nd place point getter, who in turn had double the points of the next.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 02:56 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
I was on the bench and I pointed at the blue line and yelled offside. i got thrown out for it.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
BigBearnier

hahaha, just last saturday, i had a game and burned past a pylon and he decided to literally dive on me. He then pushed my helmet to the ice and said to quote, "stay down b*tch"

needless to say, there was a scrum, and a penalty shot. (which i buried)

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Sensfanman

There's a player in my league who used to be on my team, he got a 3 game suspension when I was with him for mouthing at the ref. We never picked him again. Later in my career, we play him again, and he always goes all out against my team because I chewed him out bad for what he did (he's really good too). Anyways, one of my mates, smartest player I've seen in my career, hip checks him and gets him a penalty for roughing. Hilarious. Needless to say we get him riled up easily. Last year, he scored a goal against us and being who he is, goes nuts and skates into the boards...ended up with a broken leg in 3 places. His showboating cost him a baseball scholarship to the US and he hasn't played hockey since then except once in the playoffs last year when his team really needed him. All these schmucks who think they are hot stuff get their come-uppins, I just kick back and wait till they make ***** of themselves and get a good chuckle.

On a kind of disturbing note, I used to timekeep for younger kids. Last year there was this kid who got a 10 minute misconduct for unsportsmanlike conduct (mouthing at the ref). With less than 10 minutes to go, that's an auto-ejection. Of course the ref didn't tell him, so he goes into the box for a while. I finally tell him what happened, so he takes his stick (easily 200$) cracks it over the boards, storms off and whips both pieces over the glass at the refs. Got a huge suspension for that stunt. Sad part is, he was 10 and in the lowest level of house league hockey.

Last edited by Sensfanman: 09-24-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:02 AM
vexXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Dude, I can't tell you how many times I've had that happen to me in both pick up and league games. This one time not to long ago. I pushed by a guy to get to the puck and he freaked out, crossed checked me up high from behind and jumped on top of me. He was screaming something I'm sick of him high sticking me. My stick was waist high at the time.

Honestly, if you can't take a little bump here and there and some stick on stick play, don't play hockey. It's part of the game even in no checks leagues. The most annoying thing to me is the guys who whine about it are usually the first guys throwing open ice hits when the ref isn't looking. It's like you can't play hard against anyone.
Exactly man, it's pathetic. It's hockey ffs! If anything all it will do is make me save my energy only for that guy, and just be in his face all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoobFan_12 View Post
Every league of every level I've ever played in.

We had a kid one year, coming into the game we saw in 5 games, he had 22 goals and 5 assists, so we knew he'd be easy to D up. In the second period we were up 3-1 and he had not a whiff of the score sheet. He tried to go at our D one on two and one of our faster forwards caught him from behind, lifted his stick and removed the puck from his possession. This guy then proceeds to whip his stick around and break his stick over the hip of our forward. Yelling about slashing or something. He actually tossed off his gloves and jumped on our guy who was lying on the ice after stopping a Sherwood with his hip bone.

Needless to say that was the first time I was thrown out of a game for fighting.
Dude the penalty for fighting in my Hong Kong league is a bit of a joke. I think it's an 8 game suspension, and you don't get your money back either... I mean, I think that's even more harsh than any other sport and this is hockey... I understand they want to protect players but if what you said above happened in one of our games, we would help to get him off but wouldn't fight as the penalties are always in the back of our minds. Why waste that much money and games on 1-2 mins of teaching a little ***** a lesson? I've never fought and would rather not but there are situations when you pretty much feel you have to. All in all it's pretty frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arob View Post
One of my big pet peeves, if I may piggyback your thread, is the players who are obviously too good to be playing in a lower division. This summer I played in a division 7 men's league. For the most part our team was very evenly matched up against the other teams, except for 1 guy. There is always that 1 guy on each team who can skate circles around the other team. Why in the hell are these people playing at this level? Just to be with friends? It's really annoying when an otherwise fun, intense, even matched game gets wrecked by some guy who dances around everyone, gets a hat trick, then plays D for the rest of the game. There was one guy in the league who had double the points of the 2nd place point getter, who in turn had double the points of the next.
Pisses. Me. Off. Happens a lot in the D3 and D4 leagues here. It seems they want to be the 'go to guy' and play on a lower level team to get all the points instead of pushing themselves to becoming the best they can. I always play aggressive against these guys. There is one guy who is a hockey instructor and he plays in the D4 league when he is of D2 standard! One D4 game which was tied 0-0 about halfway throughout the second, he thinks to himself 'I think I'll score now' and proceeds to rush up the ice from his own zone, deking round everyone and scoring. It was totally unprofessional and unsportsmanlike, as he was only supposed to be helping out the other players with passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
There's a player in my league who used to be on my team, he got a 3 game suspension when I was with him for mouthing at the ref. We never picked him again. Later in my career, we play him again, and he always goes all out against my team because I chewed him out bad for what he did (he's really good too). Anyways, one of my mates, smartest player I've seen in my career, hip checks him and gets him a penalty for roughing. Hilarious. Needless to say we get him riled up easily. Last year, he scored a goal against us and being who he is, goes nuts and skates into the boards...ended up with a broken leg in 3 places. His showboating cost him a baseball scholarship to the US and he hasn't played hockey since then except once in the playoffs last year when his team really needed him. All these schmucks who think they are hot stuff get their come-uppins, I just kick back and wait till they make ***** of themselves and get a good chuckle.
Well, I'm going to play the exact same way I always play and if this guy tries anything again I'm just going to ignore the *****er. It's his problem.

Old
09-25-2007, 12:28 AM
lotus

There was this kid in a league I played in not too long ago who had one move, a simple toe drag. Every time he managed to beat some scrub with it he would say something real loud like 'nope, sorry!' or 'whoopsie!', or 'uh oh!!!' in a really whiny nerdy voice.

Anyway, the fifth and final time we played that team I was so fed up with it I kind of snapped, which I almost never do but when people cant stop talking out there like theyre hot ****, it really gets me goin. So i pushed the puck through his legs off the faceoff and proceded to go around him for what would have been a breakaway given the two traffic cones on D, when my ankle gets slashed out.

I went down and he skated by me saying 'oops, sorry'....so i hacked out the back of his legs taking him to the ice.

For some reason he got a penalty and i got off scott free! Which is why I can look back on it and laugh. But I still regret retaliating with my stick =\

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 01:03 AM
BigBearnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
There was this kid in a league I played in not too long ago who had one move, a simple toe drag. Every time he managed to beat some scrub with it he would say something real loud like 'nope, sorry!' or 'whoopsie!', or 'uh oh!!!' in a really whiny nerdy voice.

Anyway, the fifth and final time we played that team I was so fed up with it I kind of snapped, which I almost never do but when people cant stop talking out there like theyre hot ****, it really gets me goin. So i pushed the puck through his legs off the faceoff and proceded to go around him for what would have been a breakaway given the two traffic cones on D, when my ankle gets slashed out.

I went down and he skated by me saying 'oops, sorry'....so i hacked out the back of his legs taking him to the ice.

For some reason he got a penalty and i got off scott free! Which is why I can look back on it and laugh. But I still regret retaliating with my stick =\
hah, it happens.

I remember last season, i stole the puck along the boards and his stick got stuck and it cracked. I went to skate past him and said, "drop your stick" but he either didn't care, or didn't know he had broken his stick because he kept stick checking me, so i slammed my stick on top of his, breaking it in half....

needless to say, he wasn't happy.

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 01:49 AM
lotus

hahah...breaking sticks is fun, but never the same unless its a twig.

There were a few guys in the last ice league I was in who would make a habbit out of chopping all the kids with their new Synergy SLs right where the blade meets the shaft....breaks every time with one good sher-wood-chop.

Got a laugh out of watching it....the people getting their sticks broke didn't though!

Old
09-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Hugh Madbrough

cross check him next time and ask him if he likes that better. i hate whiners with a passion.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 01:10 PM
vexXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
cross check him next time and ask him if he likes that better. i hate whiners with a passion.
Would have loved to but then it is so easy for me to become the ******* too. When it happens, I want everyone to know that he is being the whiner and totally overreacting, so I just normally play it cool. Of course I'll stand up for myself though, which is why I shoved him back. I'm already looking forward to playing my all against him and only him.

Old
09-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I was playing on a guys team and they had one guy that couldn't take the fact that I was a girl. He was just a jerk and would skate by and each time say something along the lines of "can I have your number?" "Can we share a dressing room?" that sort of thing. He also thought it was funny to give a few elbows to the head or make attempts to.

I finally got fed up and went to my best buddy (who was playing RD, I was playing left) and went "Teeg, switch me sides for the next shift." He shrugged and we switched. We were in their zone and I yelled at him to pass me a one timer. The mouthy guy went down to block my shot and it caught him in the cup...or where the cup SHOULD have been.

I still laugh. He made some sort of deflating sound and fell over. I skated past him and asked him to call me when his balls dropped.

09-25-2007, 03:22 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I know exactly what you're talking about. Used to play almost exclusively D because there were so many cherry picking hotdoggers in my league. Anyways, there'd be one guy (always the same guy) that would whine and complain and flop everytime he got pokechecked. Eventually I got sick of this and just grabbed him and rode him into the boards essentially from the blueline to the back of the net.

Now mind you this is a not hitting league and I probably should have gotten a penalty. But apparently the ref was also sick of this guy and just let me continue to hit him all game. The best part was after that first hit he got up and started yelling at saying he'd get me back and what not, I just smiled and laughed and continued as he chirped.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 03:53 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
I was playing on a guys team and they had one guy that couldn't take the fact that I was a girl. He was just a jerk and would skate by and each time say something along the lines of "can I have your number?" "Can we share a dressing room?" that sort of thing. He also thought it was funny to give a few elbows to the head or make attempts to.

I finally got fed up and went to my best buddy (who was playing RD, I was playing left) and went "Teeg, switch me sides for the next shift." He shrugged and we switched. We were in their zone and I yelled at him to pass me a one timer. The mouthy guy went down to block my shot and it caught him in the cup...or where the cup SHOULD have been.

I still laugh. He made some sort of deflating sound and fell over. I skated past him and asked him to call me when his balls dropped.
Not saying the guy was right for saying what he said or doing what he did. But, it's easy to do what you did when you know you won't have to answer for it. A guy intentionally puts a slapper to my boys cup or no cup he's in a dentist chair later that night. A girl on the other hand, well that's different.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 09:44 PM
lotus

There's this guy around here who is widely acclaimed the best in the county (county, not country ) and, while I don't necessarily agree, I think its possible he has the nastiest shot around.

Anyway he has a bad temper and one kid on my team was goin at him all game talkin crap. This guy got fed up and from his own zone, about the hash marks, takes a slapshot and hits the kid in the back of the helmet who is just at about the red line now as he's skating back. he was alright, more mad than anything but it was a rough shot.

He didn't even get tossed, or a penalty. Talk about intent to injure. The fact that he picked his head with a slapshot from that distance was scary though.

Old
09-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Not saying the guy was right for saying what he said or doing what he did. But, it's easy to do what you did when you know you won't have to answer for it. A guy intentionally puts a slapper to my boys cup or no cup he's in a dentist chair later that night. A girl on the other hand, well that's different.
Yeah, elbows to the ear hole is nothing. (I should have mentioned it before.)

When you're significantly smaller than the other players you have to take what they dish. I'm not going to go and spear someone in the cup or spear them anywhere for that matter. Nor am I going to try to take someone's head off.

Whatever, ******* got what he deserved.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Markov79

I was subbing as a D in a no hitting league. Their forward came on me and just deked me out plain and simple. Before he could completly slip past me I put my shoulder into him thinking it would be better to take the two minutes than let him have a break away. What followed was the worst tantrum I have ever seen from a grown man. He eventually walked out after a long tirade.

Knowing when to take a penalty is part of the game. It isn't like I got away without a penalty.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote