HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to stop in inline skates?

Old
09-24-2007, 10:10 AM
BigBearnier

vCash: 500
How to stop in inline skates?

Ok, so I've been skating for a while, but i've never really learned how to stop on inline skates... Can anyone tell me what i'm supposed to do?

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
welcomebackwinnipeg

Isn't there a big peice of rubber at the back of the skate? lol

welcomebackwinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
crashlanding

I'm just checking to make sure that you're talking about stopping on a smooth surface (concrete, wood, sport court, etc.) and not on asphalt. Hockey stopping on asphalt isn't really a good idea, I'd just use a T-stop by placing one foot behind the other perpendicularly to the direction you're moving and then dragging it.

Now for a hockey stop on a smooth surface, the first thing you need is soft enough wheels for the surface you're playing on. Anything over a 77a will most likely give you trouble. Now if you've seen other people do it you'll notice it makes a lot of noise. That comes from taking one of your feet and swinging it in front of you while at the same time bending your ankle way towards the inside, as if you're going to lay your instep on the floor. This increases the amount of surface area on your wheels that is now touching the floor. Now lean back and press down hard with that foot and you'll feel like you're skidding. It may take some practice to get used to this feeling and to maintain your balance but you'll get it.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 04:37 PM
BigBearnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
I'm just checking to make sure that you're talking about stopping on a smooth surface (concrete, wood, sport court, etc.) and not on asphalt. Hockey stopping on asphalt isn't really a good idea, I'd just use a T-stop by placing one foot behind the other perpendicularly to the direction you're moving and then dragging it.

Now for a hockey stop on a smooth surface, the first thing you need is soft enough wheels for the surface you're playing on. Anything over a 77a will most likely give you trouble. Now if you've seen other people do it you'll notice it makes a lot of noise. That comes from taking one of your feet and swinging it in front of you while at the same time bending your ankle way towards the inside, as if you're going to lay your instep on the floor. This increases the amount of surface area on your wheels that is now touching the floor. Now lean back and press down hard with that foot and you'll feel like you're skidding. It may take some practice to get used to this feeling and to maintain your balance but you'll get it.

Ic, that makes sense...

thnx

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins2010 View Post
Isn't there a big peice of rubber at the back of the skate? lol
Generally not with inline hockey skates, but very commonly otherwise- usually the right skate (LOL though, right?)

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 08:00 PM
The n00b King *

if you're playing inline hockey, on a smooth surfafce, you're never supposed to actually stop during play time.

In line hockey is a complete different type of hockey. the idea is to be constantly in moving, sort of like doing circles. it's all about positioning.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Nosebleed Section

For inline hockey the best way too learn to stop IMO is to do kind of a quick C cut with your outside foot, then working to do the same C cut with both feet until you have it down to just a quick turn stop. So yeah just start by doing a quick C cut with your outside foot, it's not easy it will take a long time to perfect do especially moderate speeds during a game. Also yes you do stop in inline hockey.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 11:34 PM
nyrmetros

the guys I play inline hockey with on asphault here in NYC do hockey stops all the time. They can stop on a dime and not fall over. me? I try it and I ether fall right over or I just keep sliding and just gradually slow down, but no instant stopping.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:19 AM
lotus

The way I learned was by first doing a complete 180 turn when I want to stop. I wouldn't necessarily 'stop on a dime', in fact, it was the exact same as transitioning to skate backwards only doing it really fast and at a sharper angle. Eventually it just felt natural to do that, but stop the turn at 90 degrees.

But yeah be careful...I'm one of those people who hockey stop outdoors and some days it will just send me flying. It all depends whether or not my wheels are in a bad mood =)

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Hero View Post
if you're playing inline hockey, on a smooth surfafce, you're never supposed to actually stop during play time.

In line hockey is a complete different type of hockey. the idea is to be constantly in moving, sort of like doing circles. it's all about positioning.
Incorrect. That type of philosophy would get you schooled against a good inline player. Players of all skill levels use stopping as an effective tactic to get some distance from opposing players.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote