HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers-Isles Multi-Fight games Since 1993-94

Old
09-26-2007, 08:08 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
You're not telling the whole story though. The thing about both of those incidents is that the Islanders goalie jumped in as the third man in a fight that was already going on and started ganging up on the Rangers player. That is supposed to be a 3rd man in penalty but refs seem to only enforce some rules when they feel like it. Somehow Hollweg always seems to get extra minutes for getting assaulted by 1 or more opponents, and DP got nothing more than Montoya did. Complete joke.

What's even worse is that DP had his mask and equipment still on.

Cloutier came in and beat the **** out of Salo and rightfully so. Salo had no place jumping into that fight and neither did DP. In the recent fight Montoya came down to even things out and DP suckered him after he was down. That's low in my book and I'd see it the same way if a Rangers goalie jumped in as the third man in a fight.

And enough with the argument that DP only threw a few punches. He was hitting Montoya in the face while he was down. Cloutier was hitting Salo mostly in the back because he was turtled and then Cloutier finally left him alone. DP was going for the face and only stopped when the refs grabbed him.

When 2 players are fighting, you don't jump in and start wailing. If your teammate has really bitten off more than he can chew and is getting pounded, then grab the guy and try to slow things down. But in both cases, the Isles goalies started throwing punches immediately. Especially when Hollweg is getting assaulted and attacked by Simon, it was a classless dirtbag move by DP.
The circumstances surrounding the DP-Montoya fight can be debated from now until forever.

I still don't see anything wrong with DP punching Montoya when he was down. That's what happens in fights! Watch a bunch of fight clips, I'd venture to say the majority of the time someone is getting smoked while lying on the ice. You can say Cloutier's blows were mostly to the back on the head, but that doesn't change the fact that Salo was down, turtled, had given up and still recieved about 10 shots from Cloutier. What, Montoya got hit twice, around the head? There's absolutely nothing wrong with what happened there.

I'm not defending DP for coming in late and entering a fight that he had no reason to be in, but criticizing him for keeping the punches going when both he and Montoya his the ice is just silly.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 08:09 AM
ogie

i watch the Cloutier v. salo clip before every rangers/islanders game. ahhh the good ol' days.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 08:47 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
yup, check it out on youtube, its there.

also a good one, i know it was before 94, 89-90 i believe, isles douches, ken baumgartne and vukota I believe jump some rangers at the end of the game.
That was a 1990 playoff game.

James Patrick knocked out Patty LaFontaine with an open ice shoulder to Patty's dome. Knockec him out cold and he had to be taken off the ice in a stretcher. The loaded him up in the ambulance and tried to get him to the hospital for a cat-scan, the Rangers fans rocked the ambulance trying to knock it over. Not the greatest day in Rangers fan history.

The Rangers were hosting the series opener in that game and with about 5 seconds left a great coach sullied his career by sending out the teams goons with the sole purpose and intent of going after the Rangers players. The only Rangers tough guy out on the ice was Chris Nilan.

A pathetic display by Arbour.

The funny thing was that this was one of the first dates I took my then girlfriend (now wife) to.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 08:49 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post

I would like to see that!
general rundown of that fight.

Kloucek's arms are being held and Yashin punches Tomas in the face.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Diehard1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
general rundown of that fight.

Kloucek's arms are being held and Yashin punches Tomas in the face.

I remember that i think kloucek actully had his nose broken by yashin in that fight. Pretty much ending his season

Diehard1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Richard Park 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
You're not telling the whole story though. The thing about both of those incidents is that the Islanders goalie jumped in as the third man in a fight that was already going on and started ganging up on the Rangers player. That is supposed to be a 3rd man in penalty but refs seem to only enforce some rules when they feel like it. Somehow Hollweg always seems to get extra minutes for getting assaulted by 1 or more opponents, and DP got nothing more than Montoya did. Complete joke.

What's even worse is that DP had his mask and equipment still on.

Cloutier came in and beat the **** out of Salo and rightfully so. Salo had no place jumping into that fight and neither did DP. In the recent fight Montoya came down to even things out and DP suckered him after he was down. That's low in my book and I'd see it the same way if a Rangers goalie jumped in as the third man in a fight.

And enough with the argument that DP only threw a few punches. He was hitting Montoya in the face while he was down. Cloutier was hitting Salo mostly in the back because he was turtled and then Cloutier finally left him alone. DP was going for the face and only stopped when the refs grabbed him.

When 2 players are fighting, you don't jump in and start wailing. If your teammate has really bitten off more than he can chew and is getting pounded, then grab the guy and try to slow things down. But in both cases, the Isles goalies started throwing punches immediately. Especially when Hollweg is getting assaulted and attacked by Simon, it was a classless dirtbag move by DP.
Right, because strudwick didnt jump in initially to gang up on simon when it was simon vs. hollweg. It is good to know there are some unbiased posters here.

Richard Park 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Richard Park 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post

I would like to see that!
Actually, that was the game when Yashin had a first period hat trick. He also ended up breaking Kloucek's nose, but that was only because Mariusz was holding Kloucek, enabling yashin to get a free shot.

Richard Park 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 09:13 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quintal and Cairns?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 09:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Didn't Hollweg and Simon fight in this game?
They gave Hollweg a roughing penalty, therefore not considered a fight.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
They gave Hollweg a roughing penalty, therefore not considered a fight.
ahh... makes sense. thanks.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote