HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

SE Division 2007-2008

Old
09-27-2007, 10:50 AM
dmonk
doughberle

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
SE Division 2007-2008

Hello everyone....

Back on Cane's board thread started with predictions on SE Division standing for 07 08. Obviosuly Canes followers put Carolina as # 1.

I wanted to open the thread here and see what Caps funs think about how SE teams will fair this season.
No throlling, just wanted to see what people outside of Carolina think of SE teams.

Last edited by dmonk: 09-27-2007 at 12:06 PM.
dmonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Jasper17

I am guessing 3rd. I agree with the Canes board the I fully expect the Canes to bounce back from a dissapointing season last year and win the southeast.

I think Atlanta will come in 2nd and the Caps to beat out Tampa for 3rd.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:59 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
i agree with jasper. caps will probably be 3rd with carolina and tbay ahead of them and they will slightly edge out atlanta.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Devil Dancer

I'm on board with Carolina winning the SE this year, but anything's possible after that. The only things that would shock me this year would be if Carolina finishes last, or the Cats finish first.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I don't see ATL doing so well. Lehtonen is having groin issues...again. Without him they are toast.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 12:11 PM
The Viking Fury

Canes win the division most likely, but the last month of the season has a bunch of division tilts and its going to be fun watching that if it is a close race

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 12:34 PM
satellite1984

i want to say first of all that i want and possibly see the caps being able to beat out carolina and Tampa for first but i have a feeling ill see the capitals finishing no better than second. You all know last year the capitals held there own quite well for a few good months until injuries started happening and minus players like nylander which we should have keep in the first place , poti , kozlov, and backstrom. I see it will be very interesting and close season with a few of the southeast teams making the playoffs.

satellite1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Jasper17

I personally think the Canes may win the entire East this year. I really expect them to bounce back, and since Buffalo and Jersey took big hits this offseason. They may be the only team that can challenge Ottawa.

Old
09-27-2007, 12:52 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Rangers and Flyers will be big this year. Ottawa can actually take a dive compared to last or the previous years.

Old
09-27-2007, 12:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Canes
Fla
Caps
Tampa
Atlanta

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 01:01 PM
TempusFugit

From bottom to top:

Atlanta: just horrible in the last quarter of last season. And they didn't improve any, but lost a few key players. A slow start for them means wrecked confidence and a continued tailspin. Don't really like their blueline

Carolina: I want to see Cam Ward prove he was anything other than a two month wonder. If he doesn't, then Carolina is in for a long year. That blueline is getting shaky, and if Hedican can't hold up thru the season, it'll be even worse

Caps: getting there, but not quite. Blueline needs to improve

Tampa: I expect an MVP type season from Vinny. Their Top 3 are as good as any in the business. Losing Boyle hurts tho, and their goaltending is just atrocious. Maybe they swing a deadline deal for Bryzgalov or somebody and squeak into the playoffs

Florida: best blueline in the division. Bouwmeester is a future Norris trophy winner. Vokoun is a decent goaltender, and he'll do well enough to get them there. I love Nathan Horton, and wish he was a Cap. Ditto for Jokinen

The division should be very tight tho. It's not like I expect Florida to run away with it

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Rangers and Flyers will be big this year. Ottawa can actually take a dive compared to last or the previous years.
I think the Flyers will be better, but I don't think they will go from last to first in one year. They made some good moves, especially with Biron. But I don't think they did enough to expect to be the best team in the entire east.

The Rangers spent big, but I don't think they improved nearly as much as some people do (by some people I mean people like you who think they may win the east). I think bringing in Gomez and letting Nylander walk will be a downgrade. Nylander and Jagr were great together, and Gomez isn't a great point producer anyway. They really overpayed for him IMO. Drury was a great pickup, but again that is a hell of a price tag. They will be better mainly because of Drury, but this isn't an elite club.

Old
09-27-2007, 01:44 PM
malyk

Carolina
Washington
Tampa
Florida
Atlanta

Carolina - Don't really like their defense that much and they have almost no depth back there. Could be trouble with older guys (edit: hedican!!! (replacing the mistake: gleason)) and oft-injured (kaberle).

Washington - It's time. I think they can put enough points on the board that they'll win more of those 1 goal games that they've been losing the last two years and will improve in the shootout.

Tampa - Goaltending and D is weak (especially with boyle missing the first 6 weeks), but with the offensive punch of Vinny, St. Louis, and Richards (if he bounces back) is hard to ignore.

Florida - I really like their young forwards, and boumeester and allen are good on the back end. Plus they have vokoun. But the young guys are going to have to show they can play without much veteran leadership and can be consistent. They could win the division, but they could also tank if they get off to a rough start.

Atlanta - What a waste. Waddell blew the org just to get into the playoffs last year, and it was a mistake. Ilya and Marion will due their part, but they don't have any good centers. Plus their D is weak. Zhitnick is ok, klee is steady (but old), exelby is meh, kiwi isn't good...who knows who fills out the rest. They do have a great young goalie in lehtonen if he can be a consistent performer, but I think they'll struggle to score and struggle to keep the puck out of the net. Waddell should have his bags packed starting...today.

Last edited by malyk: 09-27-2007 at 02:39 PM.
malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 01:48 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
Could be trouble with older guys (gleason) and oft-injured (kaberle).
Older guys? You know your hockey very well mate... Gleason is freaking 23 years young.

Old
09-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Carolina - Don't really like their defense that much and they have almost no depth back there. Could be trouble with older guys (gleason) and oft-injured (kaberle).
Gleason is 24

Old
09-27-2007, 01:53 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Rangers only make it "big" if Jagr is happy and motivated; otherwise that locker room will implode and with it any chance the Rangers had of making the playoffs.

I’m not completely sold on the Flyers – sure goaltending is a wee bit more steady with Biron in net and they have a very expensive shiny new toy – they’ll improve but not enough; it’s a bit much to expect any team to leapfrog seven teams.

I disagree with your assessment of Ottawa, I believe that the East is their’s to lose.

Quote:
Older guys? You know your hockey very well mate... Gleason is freaking 23 years young.
One guy.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Gleason is 24
haha. Yeah. I meant to put hedican there, not gleason. Oops!

Old
09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

There is literally no standings order that would surprise me in this division other than maybe us winning it. I could 100% see any of the 5 teams making the playoffs and any of the 5 teams missing them. I think the toughest team to project amongst the group of 5 tough-to-project teams is Florida. I really believe they may be on the verge of becoming a very good team. Or, they could implode. Tampa is almost as tough. If their goalie play is even decent, they're a major threat. If it is as bad as it seems, they'll struggle badly. I am down on Atlanta. They can score, but their defense is crap and their goalie situation is in flux of Kari goes down. And as for us...well, I don't know. I'm skeptical of our major upside potential this season (as in, shooting up to 100 points). But I really think we're too solid and deep to be a BAD team.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Allsmokenopancake

I predict the caps to finish no lower than eleventyseventh

Allsmokenopancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
The caps will win the SE, every team in the SE has at least one major hole in there team.

Atlanta- They have no good centers at all. And a young goalie, and a thim defence.
Carolina- Don't know what team you are gonna get with them, they are old.
Tampa Bay- Bad goaltending and all there salary in 4 players.
Florida- Young team, but they have the best chance.
Washington- Defence, and an old goalie.

Any one of these teams could win the division.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 03:43 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I don't think the Flyers are making the playoffs and I don't think the Rangers will finish higher than 6th.

To the question:
Carolina
Washington
Atlanta
TB
Florida

The people picking Florida as a darkhorse are really getting on my nerves.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The people picking Florida as a darkhorse are really getting on my nerves.
You've mentioned that before, but I don't think you've ever said why you disagree. I'm curious.

Horton, Jokinen, Olesz, Weiss, Stumpel, Zednick (when he isn't injured) can all contribute offensively. Brett Mclean is a decent third line guy.

Bouwmeester, Allen, Van Ryan, Mesei, Salei, Montador are certainly capable d, and the top 3 are pretty darn good.

Plus Vokoun is a good pickup and should be much better than belfour last seasion.

They have a lot of talent there. Whether or not they can put it together and win games is another question, but they certainly look like they can compete with the rest of the division.

Old
09-27-2007, 05:59 PM
TheBruinsFan

Send a message via AIM to TheBruinsFan
I can see Caps in first if the Canes have another off season. Otherwise I think they can beat out the other Southeast teams for 2nd, although it might be a close battle with Atlanta.

TheBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 06:07 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
You've mentioned that before, but I don't think you've ever said why you disagree. I'm curious.

Horton, Jokinen, Olesz, Weiss, Stumpel, Zednick (when he isn't injured) can all contribute offensively. Brett Mclean is a decent third line guy.

Bouwmeester, Allen, Van Ryan, Mesei, Salei, Montador are certainly capable d, and the top 3 are pretty darn good.

Plus Vokoun is a good pickup and should be much better than belfour last seasion.

They have a lot of talent there. Whether or not they can put it together and win games is another question, but they certainly look like they can compete with the rest of the division.
I just think that people are severely overrating the impact that Vokoun can have on that club. It's pretty much the exact same roster as last year. Zednik, if he can cobble together 65 games, will help and Olesz could become a 50 point getter this season, but that's the extent of the change offensively.

The defense is good on paper, but it's the same defense that surrendered 257 goals last season...and Belfour was not playing that shabby. Also, Vokoun is not exactly an ironman and Craig Anderson is not someone you want starting 20 games. In a division that saw a marked increase in parity, I don't think that the swap of Belfour for Vokoun will generate an additiona 10+ standings points..

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Foy

I just see too much talent on TB for the Caps to leapfrog them. Carolina can be good if they stay healthy. Atlanta was already falling apart last year before they got some rentals to keep them going, and I think Florida is worse than they were last year.

1. TB
2. Carolina
3. Washington
4. Atlanta
5. Florida

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote