HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

SE Division 2007-2008

Old
09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Backstrom Backer

vCash: 500
1. Carolina
2. Washington
3. Atlanta
4. Tampa Bay
5. Florida

Backstrom Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:27 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I just think that people are severely overrating the impact that Vokoun can have on that club. It's pretty much the exact same roster as last year. Zednik, if he can cobble together 65 games, will help and Olesz could become a 50 point getter this season, but that's the extent of the change offensively.

The defense is good on paper, but it's the same defense that surrendered 257 goals last season...and Belfour was not playing that shabby. Also, Vokoun is not exactly an ironman and Craig Anderson is not someone you want starting 20 games. In a division that saw a marked increase in parity, I don't think that the swap of Belfour for Vokoun will generate an additiona 10+ standings points..
They were a very young team last season and jumped to the mid-80s in points. That isn't a prediction, it's a fact. Focusing on Vokoun not being a big upgrade seems to miss the point. The point is that they're very talented and getting better fast. No doubt, Vokoun's fragility is a big achilles heel for them. If he goes down, their team is dead. Kind of like us with Kolzig. But this team only missed the playoffs by 6 points last season and their young players all have room to improve.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I just see too much talent on TB for the Caps to leapfrog them. Carolina can be good if they stay healthy. Atlanta was already falling apart last year before they got some rentals to keep them going, and I think Florida is worse than they were last year.

1. TB
2. Carolina
3. Washington
4. Atlanta
5. Florida
Why? Because they upgraded their goaltending?

I think every team other than Tampa Bay will be better. Carlolina's last season was a fluke, they will play better this season. Florida is just like the Caps IMO, very good young talent that will keep getting better. Atlanta wasn't as good as people thought they were at the start of last season (Tarik saying they were a cup contender was a joke), but at the same time they are not as bad as people are saying they were at the end of last season. Tampa Bay is IMO stuck in neutral right now, they aren't getting better and they aren't getting worse.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Why? Because they upgraded their goaltending?

I think every team other than Tampa Bay will be better. Carlolina's last season was a fluke, they will play better this season. Florida is just like the Caps IMO, very good young talent that will keep getting better. Atlanta wasn't as good as people thought they were at the start of last season (Tarik saying they were a cup contender was a joke), but at the same time they are not as bad as people are saying they were at the end of last season. Tampa Bay is IMO stuck in neutral right now, they aren't getting better and they aren't getting worse.
I'm not a Caps fan but I agree with this assessment. SE should be a pretty tight division. I think Florida will be good, probably ahead of the Caps. Their offense is close to the Caps and their defense is significantly better in my opinion. I like the Caps' addition of Poti though, he's much improved since his early years. Tampa Bay may struggle to begin the year with Boyle out, but should be a contender for the top of the division.

Carolina should be better, but I'm not sure by how much. I don't think Ward is capable of putting up a consistent season yet, which is probably their biggest problem, along with a mediocre defense (yes, which won the Cup). Atlanta definitely has issues. Their defense looks pretty porous. Not sold on their offense beyond Kovy and Hossa either.

I think the Caps will finish 3rd or 4th in the division but it should be pretty close.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherblah View Post
I'm not a Caps fan but I agree with this assessment. SE should be a pretty tight division. I think Florida will be good, probably ahead of the Caps. Their offense is close to the Caps and their defense is significantly better in my opinion. I like the Caps' addition of Poti though, he's much improved since his early years. Tampa Bay may struggle to begin the year with Boyle out, but should be a contender for the top of the division.

Carolina should be better, but I'm not sure by how much. I don't think Ward is capable of putting up a consistent season yet, which is probably their biggest problem, along with a mediocre defense (yes, which won the Cup). Atlanta definitely has issues. Their defense looks pretty porous. Not sold on their offense beyond Kovy and Hossa either.

I think the Caps will finish 3rd or 4th in the division but it should be pretty close.
Florida's offense can't touch Washington's with a 10-foot pole. Their defense is better, and their goaltending is slightly better, not necessarily because Vokoun is better than Kolzig, but because he'll be able to play more games.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 08:41 AM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
Canes
Fla
Caps
Tampa
Atlanta
mine are:
Caps
Fla
Canes
Tampa
Atlanta

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Jasper17

I really think the Canes will win it, other than that it is anyones guess. If I had to make some picks, i would go...

1. Carolina
2. Tampa Bay
3. Atlanta
4. Washington
5. Florida

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 09:16 AM
FrankM73

With no clear-cut (or even partially clear-cut) best/worst team in the division; injuries, off-years, and career-years will tell whose team come's out on top.

Mark these words oh fellow caps fans, this year's division winner will be the winner of the battle of attrition!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote