Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

OT: NHL08 Released & other video game talk here

Old
09-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Goalie27*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
I'll probably pick up Halo 3 in a few weeks... I don't really have a lot of time to play video games anymore, so it's not a big deal to me, I won't play it much. And it's also going to be a $110 game for me... $60 for the game and $50 to renew my Live subscription. I know I'd get some good use out of the subscription, but I don't think I feel like spending $110 on video games right now. Guitar Hero 3 might wind up being the next game I buy.

Goalie27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:16 PM
hopkinsj31

I was just scanning through looking to see if anyone has an Online League started and if so can PS3'ers and 360 players play in the same league? I have the PS3 and absolutely love it, I dint know if anyone here had a league started or would be interested in starting one up, If someone to reply or pm would be great. MY tag is hopkinsj31 by the way.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 12:03 AM
styl

Send a message via MSN to styl
anybody play 08 online for pc? if so hit me up dmann760 .

styl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblaine381 View Post
Things about this game that drive me crazy (besides the disc issue):

1. If they kept track of shots that hit the post...I would certainly be leading the league. I swear half my shots hit the post. And if I increase the shot accuracy, then all the games are like 10-9.

2. Every time I block a shot it goes right on an opposing players stick at the side of the net for an easy goal. For that matter it seems every rebound, blocked shot, shot of the boards, and loose pucks always go to the computer's team.

3. Any opposing player anywhere near me always strips the puck, even if they are facing the wrong direction.

4. Goal scoring seems really unrealistic. The computer seems to score a lot of garabage goals and deflections and what not. But it seems the only way I can score is if do some rediculous and uncalled deke before firing a wrist shot. It seems you have to deke in order to get any mustard on your shot. Also way to many goals scored on the backhand from far out. I think I've scored more times on the backhand than anyother goals.

5. My guys always fan on one-timers.

6. AI on passing is retarded. Lets say you are behind the net and have a wide open guy in front. So press the pass button and his direction, but instead of passing to him, it tries to pass to d-man beyond him at the point who is well covered an always leads to a 2-1.

7. Dynasty mode trading is impossible unless you are doing a one on one trade. For instance if you try to dump someone for a pick...It wouldn't let you trade to a team that has 23 skaters which is usually every team. You could offer the computer Bergeron for a 5th round pick and it would reject it because it says they already have 23 skaters. Instead of AI just sending someone with a 2 way to the minors to make room.

8. The Chicago Blackhawks own me. I created a team and replaced Nashville with them and everytime i play CHI they have Lapointe on the first line scoring hat tricks against me and Khabibuilin have 40 save shutouts against me.

Overall I like the game, but these things are driving me nuts.
I ramped the game up to All-Star and #3 is painfully true. The other team strips the puck from me at will. When I poke check the puck, it just floats out in front of them and they usually regain control. When they poke check the puck, they gain posession.

#5: My guys don't fan on one-times as much as they just rip them high and wide all the time.

I've noticed #6 more too, but I'm finding that if i exagerate the player in front's position by aiming a little in front of him, AI is able to decipher which player I mean more accurately.

Also, I'm having trouble with my set plays, they only work sometimes (for certain lines) and different plays pop up at different times even if I skate over the same starting point, some of which are useless.

This level is very difficult to beat.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
BlacknGold355
Tim Vezina Thomas

I just got NHL 08, for my Ps2 because my Xbox 360 died on me two weeks ago. And what do know? My Warranty was up last month

I digress, I love the game i find it a lot more fun then 07, but things I can't stand are

1. If its late in the game and I'm winning by 2 or 3 the CPU always will score one or two. I HATE IT, they score on lame wrist shots when a player just breaks the blue line or something else retarded like that.

2. It's board line impossible for me to score on a shootout, it always goes like 8 shots a team before some dumb backhander goes in.\

3. My goalies always suck, the CPU gets like 18 shots all game and score 3-4 goals while i have 40 and i get 3-4.

BlacknGold355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 10:39 PM
hopkinsj31

If anyone is interested, I jsut created an online league for anyone who is interested.

League name: HFBruins
Abbreviation: HFB
Password: boston

so its there if anyone is interested, figured it could be fun if a bunch of us got in. see who which poster gets bragging rights.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
AK37

Send a message via ICQ to AK37 Send a message via AIM to AK37
You guys that are playing on the 360:

What are you using for difficulty settings? Are you modifying the gameplay sliders at all?

AK37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

hey i completed one year of dynasty mode and my opening night roster for year 2 is.

Schaefer-Savard-Nillson(from oilers)
Kozlov(atlanta)-Bergeron-Lisin(yotes)
Semin(caps)-Kessel-Sturm
Morneau(oils)-Krecji-Kobasew

Ference-Chara
Ward-Krajicek
Lashoff-Wideman

Kehtonen
Thomas

Ivyy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:29 PM
bleedsblackandgold47
Gotta big dome, eh?

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the difficulty to the highest it goes, and I still outshoot my opponents 45-9 or something. I also can't seem to lose a game. Someone help me out!

bleedsblackandgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie27 View Post
I'll probably pick up Halo 3 in a few weeks... I don't really have a lot of time to play video games anymore, so it's not a big deal to me, I won't play it much. And it's also going to be a $110 game for me... $60 for the game and $50 to renew my Live subscription. I know I'd get some good use out of the subscription, but I don't think I feel like spending $110 on video games right now. Guitar Hero 3 might wind up being the next game I buy.
Halo 3 is worth it, trust me. Multi player is better than Halo 2 (if that was even possible).

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 08:57 AM
BruinAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsblackandgold47 View Post
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the difficulty to the highest it goes, and I still outshoot my opponents 45-9 or something. I also can't seem to lose a game. Someone help me out!
Try lowering your shot accuracy.

BruinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 09:52 AM
AK37

Send a message via ICQ to AK37 Send a message via AIM to AK37
What difficulty are you guys playing at? Have you changed any of the slider settings?

AK37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 10:09 AM
markwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_81 View Post
anyone playing 08 yet?
I bought 08 for the pc and am having problems with it. There is some sort of conflict in the configure game controller option that won't let me configure the game controller. My game says that my game controller is compatable but it isn't working.
Ea sports has been quite unhelpful with this problem. They suggested a few things that didn't work and the live tech guy treated me like I was an idiot.
I could probably still play the game but I would have to learn an all new button configuration with the default controls.

markwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
CDJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Halo 3 is worth it, trust me. Multi player is better than Halo 2 (if that was even possible).
I personally think Halo 3 is the greatest game for XBOX360 of all time. It has a better campaign and multiplayer than Halo 2 and Halo 1

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 01:29 PM
JaredOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsblackandgold47 View Post
Hey, im just jumping into the discussion so im not sure if you mentioned what system you are using. If its Ps2, you're not gonna get much improvement.....horrible AI. Despite what some people will tell you, NHL 08 for Ps2 has very little improvement over 07 (for computer AI), with the exception of slightly better goalie AI.

I dont know much about the PC version. Its supposed to be somewhat next-gen (as far as AI) but im not sure if its really up to par with 360/ps3.

I doubt its 360/ps3 since superstar (hardest difficulty) should prove to be somewhat of a challenge even for the best players. If you are using next-gen, try lowering the shot accuracy like someone else mentioned.

Hope this helps.

JaredOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 02:03 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold355 View Post
I just got NHL 08, for my Ps2 because my Xbox 360 died on me two weeks ago. And what do know? My Warranty was up last month
uh, you do realize that they extended the warranty on 360's to 3 years since so many were dying right?

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 05:49 PM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

NHL 08 question:

I've been trying to pull off a trade for Metropolit from St. Louis...the league keeps telling me I can't complete the trade because there has to be a maximum of 23 players on the NHL roster...i've tried everything: sending players to Providence, scratching players, adding 2 + players to the Blues for Metropolit...nothing works. The trade won't go through...I then tried to trade Mowers for Skinner straight up and the same message came up...what do I have to do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

HooperDrivesTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Marleau

Send a message via AIM to Marleau
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperDrivesTheBoat View Post
NHL 08 question:

I've been trying to pull off a trade for Metropolit from St. Louis...the league keeps telling me I can't complete the trade because there has to be a maximum of 23 players on the NHL roster...i've tried everything: sending players to Providence, scratching players, adding 2 + players to the Blues for Metropolit...nothing works. The trade won't go through...I then tried to trade Mowers for Skinner straight up and the same message came up...what do I have to do?Any advice would be greatly appreciated
send mowers to the ahl, then make the trade for skinner

Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whycutRolston View Post
I personally think Halo 3 is the greatest game for XBOX360 of all time. It has a better campaign and multiplayer than Halo 2 and Halo 1
I haven't played Campaign much (prefer multiplayer and haven't had a lot of time) but I'm on the sixth mission and it's pretty awesome. I think I'm going to play it right now.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 07:20 PM
bleedsblackandgold47
Gotta big dome, eh?

Thanks for your advice guys, I've tried lowering the shot accuracy but that's not working out. I've just decided to lengthen the periods to ten minutes and be more selective with my shooting. This seems to work for right now.

bleedsblackandgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 03:48 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Been running a Bruins dynasty, still in the first year (playing just over 2/3 of the games, simming the others). Here are the moves I've made so far: Murray and a 2nd rounder for Redden, Axelsson + 1st for Semin + 2nd, signed Danny Markov, and a couple of minor moves like a Mowers trade to free up playing time for Karsums and Krejci. Ward is currently hurt.

Lines (LW-C-RW):
Semin-Savard-Kessel
Sturm-Bergeron-Schaefer
Karsums-Krejci-Kobasew
Reich-Nokelainen-Bochenski

Chara-Redden
Markov-Ference
Lashoff-Stuart

Fernandez
Thomas

I'm 4 pts out of a playoff spot at the deadline (just added Semin), so I'm hoping to make it (and I have $3m under the cap to go for a UFA next offseason)

What a game.

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 04:16 PM
FutureConsiderations

One thing that drives me crazy in Dynasty Mode is that if you need cap space, you can just release a high-salary player (Chara) and re-sign him for something like 4.5M for one year, then when he's on the team you up him to 3 years at 3-3.5M because while he's on you're team he'll take less pay.

3 seasons in, my lineup now looks like:

Big moves:
- Traded Alberts and a first rounder for Phaneuf (Alberts has been on Calgary's trading block since that trade)
- Traded Savard and Murray for Alfredsson
- Signed Afinogenov
- Traded Alfredsson and a first round pick for Ovechkin
- Traded a third round pick for Tootoo
- Signed Vyborny
- Traded Fernandez and a second for Lehtonen (younger)
- Traded Wideman for Colorado's Third
- Traded Ference and Colorado's 3rd Rounder for Ballard
- Signed Jiri Fischer and Kurtis Foster
- Signed Brian Sutherby

Notes:
Tootoo has turned into an incredible scoring machine in his third year
Centering Ovechkin and Afinogenov, Bergeron won the Hart, Art Ross, Maurice Richard, Lady Byng, and Pearson last season.
Phaneuf took the Norris and Conn Smythe last year.

Ovechkin-Bergeron-Afinogenov
Sturm-Kessel-Tootoo
Schaefer-Nokelainen-Vyborny
Axelsson-Sutherby-Svatos/Backstrom (a hot prospect draft pick)

Phaneuf-Chara
Ballard-Lashoff
Fischer-Foster

Lehtonen
Thomas
Ratings:
Offense is 93-94
Defense is 94-95
Goalies are 96+

The idea is to trade your draft picks early while your rookie scouting sucks because you have nothing on the scouting report at that point, then build up draft picks later when your scouting is at its best (and only when it's 4-5 stars or there's a cant-miss prospect).

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
Been running a Bruins dynasty, still in the first year (playing just over 2/3 of the games, simming the others). Here are the moves I've made so far: Murray and a 2nd rounder for Redden, Axelsson + 1st for Semin + 2nd, signed Danny Markov, and a couple of minor moves like a Mowers trade to free up playing time for Karsums and Krejci. Ward is currently hurt.

Lines (LW-C-RW):
Semin-Savard-Kessel
Sturm-Bergeron-Schaefer
Karsums-Krejci-Kobasew
Reich-Nokelainen-Bochenski

Chara-Redden
Markov-Ference
Lashoff-Stuart

Fernandez
Thomas

I'm 4 pts out of a playoff spot at the deadline (just added Semin), so I'm hoping to make it (and I have $3m under the cap to go for a UFA next offseason)

What a game.
Hmm interesting..

I'm right against the cap, Just Started my second year in Dynasty.

Fernandez For Lehtonen
Murray+Axe for Morneau,Nillson(oilers) BAD TRADE FOR ME!!!
Morneau+Nokilanen for Vyborny,Novonty
Nillson for Dustin Brown
Bochenski for Lisin
Ward for F.Kaberle
Chistov for Krajicek
2nd for Bourdon

signed Alexander Semin
signed Vyacheslav Kozlov

Kozlov-Savard-Kobasew
Novonty-Bergeron-Lisin
Semin-Kessel-Brown
Schaefer-Krecji-Vyborny

Ference-Chara
Kaberle-Krajicek
Lashoff-Wideman

Lehtonen
Thomas

Sturm- Injured with a Neck Strain, expected to return November 4th.

Cap Hit-50.116

spending left-.284m

Looking to sign Maxim Afinogenov in the off season so ill have to clear up some room.

Old
09-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

So how is the game for X-box 360?

07 was great, what are the major improvements? Also when I played on the hardest level I still kicked ass, do you actually lose games in this one? Last question, is it worth the $$?

thanks.

Mr BLUEandWHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
So how is the game for X-box 360?

07 was great, what are the major improvements? Also when I played on the hardest level I still kicked ass, do you actually lose games in this one? Last question, is it worth the $$?

thanks.
i lose sometimes on pro,rookie

superstar is very tough for me, i rarely win. It is a big improvement over NHL07. i personally love the game and i think it is worth it.