HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Final Defensive Corps

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2007, 11:29 PM
  #51
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
I cant believe some of these comments. The top 4 are: Poti, Morrisonn, Pothier, Jurcina. The next best are Green & Schultz. That is your best starting 6 d-men.

Eminger has blown it already should be trade bait before he has zero value. Erskine is sub-par defensively so why would he be kept except for toughness. Boumedienne is just your typical #7 d-man.

Caps are trying to win now and waiver considerations will take a back seat IMO.
return in one month...

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 07:14 AM
  #52
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
I cant believe some of these comments. The top 4 are: Poti, Morrisonn, Pothier, Jurcina. The next best are Green & Schultz. That is your best starting 6 d-men.

Eminger has blown it already should be trade bait before he has zero value. Erskine is sub-par defensively so why would he be kept except for toughness. Boumedienne is just your typical #7 d-man.

Caps are trying to win now and waiver considerations will take a back seat IMO.
Many would agree, but obvious GMGM doesn't. If Eminger wasn't here it would be a lot easier. But since he is here, you would have to be an idiot not to figure he plays some role. Which makes things a little bit harder to predict.

Everyone already knows the top 4, its the other two that we are trying to figure out. And normally playing two young defensman together as a pair is not the best idea.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 09:15 AM
  #53
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,558
vCash: 500
A motivated Eminger has value to THIS team.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 09:33 AM
  #54
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 28,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
A motivated Eminger has value to THIS team.
Yeah...good luck with getting him motivated.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
  #55
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Yeah...good luck with getting him motivated.
that's the point. He looked better and like he actually knew he would possibly be dealt/cut/sent to Siberia if he didn't play well in the two games I've seen. Was he great? No. But he was at least playing like he needed to demonstrate something to stay.




Either way, I think 8 defensemen is more and more likely as I see teams as pretty hesitant to make a deal for a player of his ilk with teams having to cut players to stay at the roster limit. However, Eminger could still find a role on this team, especially if Eminger could be a swing guy and play some Forward in a pinch.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
  #56
FrankM73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
I read somewhere in a DC publication (Vogel, TEB, Post or Times) that Eminger's attitude changed at the end of last season. His approach to the off-season and this season is that his spot is not secured and he's going to earn everything he gets this season and the future. He trained hard over the summer and only skated in training camp because of an ankle sprain. That's why he just played his first pre-season game the other day.

Whenever you hear a player announce that he's changed his attitude from and 'I've earned it" to an "I'm going to earn it", that usually bodes well. And from reports, he's played decently.

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 10:59 AM
  #57
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Yeah...good luck with getting him motivated.


Wow man...if you don't think he's motivated....well...


He's fighting for his job with the Caps or a job with someone else. If that's not motivated, I don't know what is.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 11:00 AM
  #58
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
masiak's blog this morning includes boumer in the list with motzko, bourque and pollock who didn't take the morning skate. bourque's already been sent down, and motzko and pollock are shoe ins to be next. am i reading too much in to say boumer's not making the team?

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 11:00 AM
  #59
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
However, Eminger could still find a role on this team, especially if Eminger could be a swing guy and play some Forward in a pinch.

What?!?! Please...let's not "Clymer" the guy. Playing forward is a terrible idea that would only hurt his development.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 11:02 AM
  #60
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
masiak's blog this morning includes boumer in the list with motzko, bourque and pollock who didn't take the morning skate. bourque's already been sent down, and motzko and pollock are shoe ins to be next. am i reading too much in to say boumer's not making the team?
agree

it appears they are down to 8

Poti Pothier Morrisonn Jurcina, Green, Schultz, Erskine, Eminger

still 3 cuts left to go among 8 d-men and 16 forwards if the waiver assumptions are correct (it is a logical conclusion)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 11:34 AM
  #61
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
What?!?! Please...let's not "Clymer" the guy. Playing forward is a terrible idea that would only hurt his development.
Sometimes getting a forward's perspective can assist a Dman in his development. Though it obviously didn't help Eminger showcase it on the ice (remember he played some forward in practice last year or two). Also, it hasn't seemed to hurt Brett Burns who played A LOT more forward than what was suggested by the poster ie "in a pinch".

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 12:04 PM
  #62
dinoflint
Registered User
 
dinoflint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMaybe View Post
Lots of speculation on many threads, so I figured it might be interesting to centralize it.

Barring injury, what are your parings and one extra defenseman on Opening Night?
As fan:
Jurcina-Poti
Mo-Green
Pothier-Schultz
Erskine

Protecting my assets:
Jurcina-Poti
Mo-Pothier
Boomer-Eminger
Erskine

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 12:05 PM
  #63
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
Sometimes getting a forward's perspective can assist a Dman in his development. Though it obviously didn't help Eminger showcase it on the ice (remember he played some forward in practice last year or two). Also, it hasn't seemed to hurt Brett Burns who played A LOT more forward than what was suggested by the poster ie "in a pinch".

Maybe but for a guy who has struggled, and the track record of what the Caps did to Clymer, why screw with Eminger at this point?

Is playing forward going to make him a more valuable asset? I don't think so personally.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 01:07 PM
  #64
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
agree

it appears they are down to 8

Poti Pothier Morrisonn Jurcina, Green, Schultz, Erskine, Eminger

still 3 cuts left to go among 8 d-men and 16 forwards if the waiver assumptions are correct (it is a logical conclusion)
which has to mean it's between schultz and green for the final spot. one of those two is hershey bound. which one will say a bit about the team's priorities.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 01:44 PM
  #65
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Maybe but for a guy who has struggled, and the track record of what the Caps did to Clymer, why screw with Eminger at this point?

Is playing forward going to make him a more valuable asset? I don't think so personally.
It wouldn't be a thing that I would find to want him to do. But in a pinch, he could play forward and probably do about the same. That's what would give the roster some flexibility. He only would need to play 4-5 minutes of ice time up front, as Ovechkin or Semin probably would take his shift most often. So, it could work a decent bit.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
  #66
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,336
vCash: 50
We are hording defenseman, so why trade Eminger with all his games played, when he seemingly has little value? If he was going he would be long gone - so he stays. Green is stepping up. Pothier has pretty much been non-existent for a year now. We need one tough guy to scare people. Boomer is the odd man out & Schultz is down in Hershey to learn to use more than his strong positioning and reach.

Poti Jurcina
MO Green
Erskine Eminger/Pothier

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 02:04 PM
  #67
FrankM73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
We are hording defenseman, so why trade Eminger with all his games played, when he seemingly has little value? If he was going he would be long gone - so he stays. Green is stepping up. Pothier has pretty much been non-existent for a year now. We need one tough guy to scare people. Boomer is the odd man out & Schultz is down in Hershey to learn to use more than his strong positioning and reach.

Poti Jurcina
MO Green
Erskine Eminger/Pothier
well put... contrary to brief by some, GMGM is not an idiot with his trades... he may draft poorly by some people's view but most of his picks are just starting to get to the point where we can see if they will work out.

As for Eminger, he won't trade him until the value is good... presuming the org has given up on him...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 02:42 PM
  #68
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
We are hording defenseman, so why trade Eminger with all his games played, when he seemingly has little value? If he was going he would be long gone - so he stays. Green is stepping up. Pothier has pretty much been non-existent for a year now. We need one tough guy to scare people. Boomer is the odd man out & Schultz is down in Hershey to learn to use more than his strong positioning and reach.

Poti Jurcina
MO Green
Erskine Eminger/Pothier


I agree....can't imagine they would trade him if his value is low, UNLESS Eminger was causing a problem in the lockerroom.

I think we have our tough guy on D in Erskine. Playing the 3rd pair will hopefully allow him to reduce his minutes and stay more healthy.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 02:52 PM
  #69
TempusFugit
 
TempusFugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
well put... contrary to brief by some, GMGM is not an idiot with his trades... he may draft poorly by some people's view but most of his picks are just starting to get to the point where we can see if they will work out.

As for Eminger, he won't trade him until the value is good... presuming the org has given up on him...
Sounds to me like Boumedienne is going back to Europe, and the final roster looks like this:

Poti-Jurcina
Mo-Pothier
Erskine-Green

Press Box: Eminger

So here's a scenario that our beloved crazy like a fox GM might be pondering: hold onto Eminger till the trade deadline, then package him with a 2nd round pick to C-bus for Adam Foote. Works for me. Playoffs here we come

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 03:14 PM
  #70
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,336
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
well put... contrary to brief by some, GMGM is not an idiot with his trades... he may draft poorly by some people's view but most of his picks are just starting to get to the point where we can see if they will work out.

As for Eminger, he won't trade him until the value is good... presuming the org has given up on him...

LOL McPhee must be a royal pain in the rear to try and negotiate with. He must have been asking the world for Eminger last spring. If he can get a few picks to pan out he would be a great GM. One move I didnt like much was getting Pothier. I think many here had visions of this power play top pair guy and I am the first to say I had too high of expects. Pothier is widely handed the #2 job across the board here so I concede Green is destined to bottom pairing.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.