HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shorten Composite Stick

Old
09-28-2007, 03:38 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Shorten Composite Stick

Anyone know how to shorten a composite stick without ruining the flex or if it is even possible?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 03:52 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Anyone know how to shorten a composite stick without ruining the flex or if it is even possible?
Well, you won't "ruin" the flex, but the stick will get stiffer. If you're cutting by 6" or so, you can put in an Oggie Grip, it should restore the original flex.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 04:50 PM
lotus

There is no way a stick wont get stiffer if you shorten it. I made this mistake once on a Vector I bought that is sized very large so you can cut it down to fit you no matter how tall, or in my case short you are. I didn't think I would be cutting off as much as I needed to. Suddenly that 85 turned into probably whats a 110 easton at the same height as my synergy which was 85 flex.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 05:22 PM
McNasty

I have a Bauer One90 77 flex, cut a few inches off and it says its an 84, but it's still got a lot more whip then my 85 flex. I wouldn't worry about it unless your cutting off like 6 7 8 inches

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Sensfanman

The Hockey stick and it's motion is more or less a 3rd class lever (the force goes between your shoulder (the fulcrum) and the load (the puck))

Levers rely on two things, the material they are made off and the length of the stick. All of this follows the ration L/l = R/E

L= length of effort arm, l = length of resistance arm. R = resistance weight and E = Force applied. Now then, shortening the stick lowers your effort arm, therefore making the left side of the equation drop. This makes R/E smaller, so either the Force applied must increase or the resistance weight must drop (but the puck is constant so it won't).

Therefore, in all that physics jargon, the following can be extracted. Shortening the stick means you must apply more force to get the same leverage. AKA: the stick feels/works as though it's stiffer even if it isn't.

Note: All this assumes your lower hand position is the same before and after you shorten the stick.

Yay for being an engineer hahaha.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Nosebleed Section

Quote:
The Hockey stick and it's motion is more or less a 3rd class lever (the force goes between your shoulder (the fulcrum) and the load (the puck))

Levers rely on two things, the material they are made off and the length of the stick. All of this follows the ration L/l = R/E

L= length of effort arm, l = length of resistance arm. R = resistance weight and E = Force applied. Now then, shortening the stick lowers your effort arm, therefore making the left side of the equation drop. This makes R/E smaller, so either the Force applied must increase or the resistance weight must drop (but the puck is constant so it won't).

Therefore, in all that physics jargon, the following can be extracted. Shortening the stick means you must apply more force to get the same leverage. AKA: the stick feels/works as though it's stiffer even if it isn't.

Note: All this assumes your lower hand position is the same before and after you shorten the stick.

Yay for being an engineer hahaha.
Yay for grade 8 science.

On topic, I don't beleive its possible for you to shorten a stick without makeing it stiffer. Even this oggie grip stuff what it is it? The sticks I've known have become more flexible with use so if you cut then keep useing it for a while then you might get the original flex back or close to.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:59 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...ml?pcode=OERGO

They say
Quote:
# Flex-Point® System:

* Flex grooves are built into the composite structural core of the grip
* Allows the stick to be cut to a point, if needed, and still maintain it's original flex pattern - Normally when a stick is cut, the flex of the stick will become stiffer.
* Oggie grips not only put the flex back into the stick, but they also enhance the flex

# Tests have proven the Oggie Ergo grip will improve stick control and the speed of shots

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 01:32 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Sooo you cut and add more flex back by making it longer again this negating the cutting....am I missing something or just don't understand how the Oggie Grip works?

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Sooo you cut and add more flex back by making it longer again this negating the cutting....am I missing something or just don't understand how the Oggie Grip works?
Oggie grip seems to be ergonomically designed to fit the grip a player has thus allowing more force to be applied with your top hand. Instead of energy going to deforming your hand and glove to fit the square grip, it goes to the stick allowing for more flex without adding height. That's how I think it works, could be wrong.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Nosebleed Section

Yeha I dont want to cut my stick so I can put a plug in and make the same the length and flex it was in the first place. I think this is more for if you cut you stick and are out growing it or jsut outgrowing it. maybe?

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 02:54 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojorisin View Post
Yeha I dont want to cut my stick so I can put a plug in and make the same the length and flex it was in the first place. I think this is more for if you cut you stick and are out growing it or jsut outgrowing it. maybe?
No, it gives a different grip and they make some performance claims. It's supposed to be for everyone, not just people outgrowing their sticks.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote