HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you be satisified with a 20 point improvement this season?

Old
09-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
No Caps fan should want another bottom 5 finish for a lottery pick. That would mean that the entire plan is failing. And that guys like Morrisonn, Jurcina, Gordon, Green, and Fleischmann aren't becoming quality NHL players. The only way we should be rooting for another lottery pick is if a bottom feeder like Edmonton or Columbus signs Semin, so we can get their 2009 1st round pick and take Tavares or Viktor Hedman
Yeah, I don't want to see the Caps making their selection anywhere close to the top 5 again. (Trading up or something is another matter.) Picking in the 10-20 range next summer can still net the club a pretty solid prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Really, it would only take one. See: Kolzig, Olaf
If Johnson doesn't show himself to be a capable replacement then I'd expect them to trade for one, if that were to happen. The stakes this year or too high for them not to. He was pretty shaky after the Buffalo blowout but has been really good in the preseason. Hopefully that carries over into the regular season and Hanlon will feel comfortable giving Kolzig ample rest.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 06:31 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Imagine losing a Kolzig, AO, and a Semin for any length of time and this team will not be able to score goals or prevent goals. That would be are recipe for a bottom 5 finish. /knocks on wood.

09-27-2007, 08:22 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Imagine losing a Kolzig, AO, and a Semin for any length of time and this team will not be able to score goals or prevent goals. That would be are recipe for a bottom 5 finish. /knocks on wood.
Yeah, but you can say that about almost any team in the league. There are very few teams that could survive a loss of their starting goalie, or their star offensive player for any length of time and still make the playoffs. Not a whole lot of depth around the NHL these days. Pittsburgh loses Crosby for two months? Calgary loses Iginla? Ottawa loses Heatley? Atlanta loses Kovalchuk? NJ loses Brodeur? You get the idea

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:17 PM
The Viking Fury

Anaheim could win the cup and win Stamkos with Edmonton's first rounder. Scary.

Back to the Caps, I'm p retty sure that anything less than the playoffs will be a failure and if thats the attitude for next season, thats probably a good thing. They can always trade up in drafts. Actually I hope they do at least the next two years, with how deep they are supposedly.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 09:45 PM
ChicagoBlues

I have never been much of Capitals fan, but then again I have never disliked them either. Kind of neutral.

But I was going over your roster and you have a roster somewhat similar to ours, although profiled with many more 1st round prospects.

I have never seen a potential lineup with so many 1st round draftees.
And most of them were selected in the last 6 years, whether by Washington or another team.

I am excited for the Caps offense because of your seeming potential on paper.

I have no idea what your defense looks like. Perhaps you'll school me on that!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Backstrom Backer

I really think a 20 point improvement would be setting the Capitals in the right direction and I would be very happy with that result. I don't expect a complete turn around in one season so to go from 70 points to 90 and be on the brink of the playoffs I would see that as a successful season.

Backstrom Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 04:22 PM
malyk

Here are the draft positions for the players who I expect to be on the opening night roster.

Ovi (#1, 2004) - Kozlov (#6, 1993) - Fleischmann (#63 (round 2), 2002)
Semin (#13, 2002) - Nylander (#59 (round 3), 1991) - Backstrom (#4, 2006)
Pettinger (#43 (round 2), 2000) - Gordon (#17, 2002) - Clark (#77 (round 3), 1994)
Brashear (Not Drafted) - Sutherby (#26, 2000) - Steckel (#30, 2001)
Laich (#193 (round 6), 2001), Clymer (#27 (round 2), 1997), Bradley (#102 (round 4), 1996)

Poti (#59 (round 3), 1996) - Green (#29, 2004)
Morrisonn (#19, 2001) - Jurcina (#241 (round 8), 2001)
Shultz (#27, 2004) - Pothier (Not Drafted)
Eminger (#12, 2002) - Erskine (#39 (round 2), 1998)

Kolzig (#19, 1989)
Johnson (#129 (round 5), 1995)

12 in the first
4 in the second
3 in the third
1 in the fourth
1 in the fifth
1 in the sixth
1 in the eight
2 not drafted

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
10 more wins only? I would not be satisfied. We have been rebuilding for some time now - cracked and went out and got a bunch of vets. That means win now to me, not just keep improving and stockpiling defenseman. We are making a run for the cup now and if we are not, I question - why not?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 09:14 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
10 more wins only? I would not be satisfied. We have been rebuilding for some time now - cracked and went out and got a bunch of vets. That means win now to me, not just keep improving and stockpiling defenseman. We are making a run for the cup now and if we are not, I question - why not?
Because we aren't even remotely close to good enough? Do you realize how much work this team still has to do?

Moreover, signing veterans does NOT mean win now if the right veterans are signed for the right reasons. And I do believe we're going right here. A team in rebuilding mode signs veterans 2 years before they hope to make a run. In year 1, you build chemistry, round out which young guys are legit and which are never going to make it, and let your vets mentor your youngsters. Then in year #2, assuming things went well in year 1, with major roles settled, you tweak the little things that need tweaking and you take a real shot. That's how it works. That's rebuilding the *right* way.

You are WILDLY over-rating the significance of our moves this off-season if you think 1 defensemen, 1 good veteran center and 1 inconsistent winger can be the difference between 2nd worst in the East and a team read to make a "run at the cup". Literally everything would have to break perfectly for us. And if you are expecting a cup run because of the nature of our moves without actually thinking about the specifics of our moves and the specifics of our team, well, that's just not very smart.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 09:28 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Cause you gotta walk before you can run.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
are you serious?

If you expect the Caps to make a run for the cup now, i recommed you go to a bridge and jump now just to get it over with.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Because we aren't even remotely close to good enough? Do you realize how much work this team still has to do?

Moreover, signing veterans does NOT mean win now if the right veterans are signed for the right reasons. And I do believe we're going right here. A team in rebuilding mode signs veterans 2 years before they hope to make a run. In year 1, you build chemistry, round out which young guys are legit and which are never going to make it, and let your vets mentor your youngsters. Then in year #2, assuming things went well in year 1, with major roles settled, you tweak the little things that need tweaking and you take a real shot. That's how it works. That's rebuilding the *right* way.

You are WILDLY over-rating the significance of our moves this off-season if you think 1 defensemen, 1 good veteran center and 1 inconsistent winger can be the difference between 2nd worst in the East and a team read to make a "run at the cup". Literally everything would have to break perfectly for us. And if you are expecting a cup run because of the nature of our moves without actually thinking about the specifics of our moves and the specifics of our team, well, that's just not very smart.

great post

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote