HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Bäckström, Caps agree to terms

Old
05-22-2007, 08:50 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Just watched the WaPo live and I'm impressed by Backstrom and how he answered the questions in his non-native language.

05-22-2007, 08:54 PM
The Viking Fury

any clips of it?

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Stimpy

He did seem pretty level headed and mature for 19 (I certainly wasn't). I liked the answer about what he wanted to do in the US...Play hockey. Sounds like an Ovechkin answer.

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:06 PM
PSUhockey34

is he still sportin' that euro mullet?

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
sk84fun_dc

I just watched the WaPoLive interview, I thought he did a nice job responding to the questions asked, especially for a 19yo speaking in his second language; he said more than I expected him to at this point given this weekend/week and series of events has to be overwhelming and he comes across in interviews as relatively shy (IMO).

They may put a clip up tomorrow; here is the link to the WPL site

http://midatlantic.comcastsportsnet.com/shows-WPL.asp

here is another interview - SportsTalk980 with Thompson and Koken

link to audio

PSU-there are several links to pics in this thread from the press conf for you to see for yourself

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
is he still sportin' that euro mullet?
Nah didn't look like it so much.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:44 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
for those that have not looked at this link, there are several video files along with the article linked on the right

includes press conf clip, and Vogel interviews with his dad, one with Nicklas Backstrom and one with McPhee

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
does age really matter? as long as you don't look 14 I don't think anyone would have a problem finding a place to drink.
Isn't that the actual problem? He does look like he's 14

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Cush
-inator

they've put up two short clips from WPL (under Tues May 22)

http://midatlantic.comcastsportsnet.com/shows-WPL.asp

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:33 PM
NoMeSudes

All of the clips just make me smile. He sounds so nervous, but I'm getting helplessly pumped about this team.

Hopefully this will be more warranted than my annual excitement about the Redskins.

NoMeSudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMeSudes View Post
All of the clips just make me smile. He sounds so nervous, but I'm getting helplessly pumped about this team.

Hopefully this will be more warranted than my annual excitement about the Redskins.
on the Caps report they mentioned that in 1-on-1 interviews he does ok, but he does have some problems in a group setting

Last edited by Cush: 05-23-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Kiefer

This thread was a really good read, thanks to all that posted links to articles and videos

I'm still a bit nervous about how Backstrom will do in the NHL, he might do great but he can have the start Nazzy had. Slow, but ended up pretty good.

I haven't followed Capitals that close before but I will for sure this year, and hopefully many years to come

Last edited by Kiefer: 05-26-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 02:56 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow....this kid has me pumped. Mcphee may have hit 3 homeruns after taking such a beating in the draft in his career.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 03:42 AM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number67 View Post
I'm sure Ovechkin will have some vodka ready for him whenever he feels like dropping by.
Maybe the two have already been there and done that in Moscow, the chemistry building process has already begun!

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 02:41 AM
larsmark

Bäckström is gonna be good, no doubt about it but it will probably take some time, and I hope everybody have patience with him and let him have time to adjust, and he really need to improve a lot of things in his game.

larsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 04:02 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Maybe the two have already been there and done that in Moscow, the chemistry building process has already begun!

But it'll be nice to see them in similar jerseys in some months (I assume that Alex wont attend the rookie camp )

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsmark View Post
Bäckström is gonna be good, no doubt about it but it will probably take some time, and I hope everybody have patience with him and let him have time to adjust, and he really need to improve a lot of things in his game.
I don't ask for much, just get the puck to some guy named Alex and let him do the rest.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 05:30 PM
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
I wonder whatever happened to atomic?
I responded to somebody's post to my thoughts on this on the Official Caps board, when someone posted about my posts here on the subject. Was it you? I don't think their is any need to respond to it here because you will send me a PM calling me a troll and then suspend me. If you want to discuss it go to the official boards and I will be glad to share my thoughts were I can respond without my post being deleted.

atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 07:39 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
I responded to somebody's post to my thoughts on this on the Official Caps board, when someone posted about my posts here on the subject. Was it you? I don't think their is any need to respond to it here because you will send me a PM calling me a troll and then suspend me. If you want to discuss it go to the official boards and I will be glad to share my thoughts were I can respond without my post being deleted.
what are you talking about? who brings ups a thread from 4 months ago? I've never had an account on the main boards nor do I plan on starting one

as for the whole backstrom never playing a game for the caps...

your exact words:
I doubt he will ever play for the caps. He was upset and being picked. He can wait another year and then re-enter the draft. The caps are idiots and should have picked Kessel. At least ask a guy if he would have played for the team if he were drafted. Here's guessing if the Bruins selected him he would be playing in the NHL this season.

or another one:
Well in a year when Johnson is playing in the NHL and Backstrom is still in Sweden you will realize it was a wasted pick for the Caps and not for the blues
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=262700&page=6

you sure called that one right

Last edited by PSUhockey34: 09-29-2007 at 07:59 PM.
PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 03:43 AM
atomic

I will admit I was wrong about Backstrom not signing with the Caps. I guess you will admit I was right about Pothier not being very good, Mcphee being an idiot for not signing any centers last year, Sutherby and Eminger being jokes who don't belong in the NHL, etc, etc?

I brought up the thread because somebody called me an idiot for posting this stuff on here on the official boards and then never responded to my responses. I thought if someone mentioned that I Posted on this board they would have posted it here as well. I figured it was you who posted the stuff on the official boards as well.

Oh well, at least the team won't be a joke this year like the last two years. That is something we can all agree on. I guess if it weren't for people like me refusing to drink the Kool Aide last year and not attending games the team wouldn't have bothered to sign guys like Kozlov, Poti, Nylander.

atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

If Pothier is still bad playing 20-22 minutes a night, then we'll agree. I havent' seen that point yet (because he has looked good whenever he only got 20 or so).

As for last year, the goal was to get Backstrom over here and signed. Then hope someone else could shelter him till he took over the reigns of the #2 spot. Backstrom stayed and any plans to significantly improve were on hold.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
I will admit I was wrong about Backstrom not signing with the Caps. I guess you will admit I was right about Pothier not being very good, Mcphee being an idiot for not signing any centers last year, Sutherby and Eminger being jokes who don't belong in the NHL, etc, etc?

I brought up the thread because somebody called me an idiot for posting this stuff on here on the official boards and then never responded to my responses. I thought if someone mentioned that I Posted on this board they would have posted it here as well. I figured it was you who posted the stuff on the official boards as well.

Oh well, at least the team won't be a joke this year like the last two years. That is something we can all agree on. I guess if it weren't for people like me refusing to drink the Kool Aide last year and not attending games the team wouldn't have bothered to sign guys like Kozlov, Poti, Nylander.
Pothier is a completely solid #4. He has played quite well in the preaseason.

Mcphee not signing a center last season was a shrewd move. With Backstrom coming through the pipeline, it would have been wasted money. Our young players were still raw. Centers were signed for this season because our young players have gelled and are mature enough to warrant spending money outside the organization.

And hey, I'm sure not signing a center last season helped us get Alzner, who will surely be a very important part of this organization.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 11:10 AM
broad

Is there way to unbump threads and send them straight to hell?

broad is offline   Reply With Quote