HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Player Insurance What's Needed?

Old
09-30-2007, 10:42 AM
eyesonpuck

vCash: 500
Player Insurance What's Needed?

Hi

Player from Canada going to the US to play in a Minor Pro league.

What insurance do you suggested and what is most needed.

And where do you get it?

Thank you.

Last edited by eyesonpuck: 09-30-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
eyesonpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 01:18 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i would think USA hockey insurance. check their site for more answer.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
i would think USA hockey insurance. check their site for more answer.
USA hockey insurance is only a supplemental insurance and only covers USA Hockey sanctioned events. It would be worthless for a pro player.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 11:39 AM
eyesonpuck

So the provincial health card would be fine? I thought I saw one time an add for hockey player insurance covering for injury on or off the ice while out of Canada and in the states.

eyesonpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I would assume that if you're going to play pro that the team you are playing for would have some sort of health benefits package for you that would just come out of your paychecks. This is how it works in most companies and I would assume any hockey league would do the same. Since we have private health care it's the only way to really do it without paying out the ass. I'm not 100% sure if works the same for non-US citizens, but I would assume that as long as you can afford the insurance it doesn't matter.

Ask someone who works for the team if the team offers some sort of insurance package. Obviously this goes through another company, but it's usually how it works.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Ducks

I'm in a similar predicament, I'm a college student living off of loans and I play hockey, but I need to find some affordable health insurance for myself. Does anyone know the cheapest way to go that will still give me decent coverage?

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 08:25 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonpuck View Post
Hi

Player from Canada going to the US to play in a Minor Pro league.

What insurance do you suggested and what is most needed.

And where do you get it?

Thank you.
USA hockey is a supplamental coverage. BUT, if you are NOT covered it becomes your primary coverage for all on ice and team activities(official).

As for Semi-pro I suggest talking to thte head office for the league you will be playing in. They will point you to the right place. Also consider what is called in the USA Supplimental Disability Coverage. It is an additional policy you take out on yourself that pays out for any hospital/emergency room visit. Mine also pays out for doctor care for flu or the common cold. Cost is generally around 15.00US per month.

Take a trip to the ER for stitches and they send 75.00US. go to the doctors for the FLu They send 75.00....Crash your quad runner and break a leg, they send 75.00 and 75.00 for each day your an inpatient. thats my policy outlay....each is different. I strongly suggest you talk with an insurance broker to find out whats what.

Contact your local government office regarding your coverage while in the States. There have been more recent changes to what is allowed.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
I'm in a similar predicament, I'm a college student living off of loans and I play hockey, but I need to find some affordable health insurance for myself. Does anyone know the cheapest way to go that will still give me decent coverage?
I had the same problem. I was in college and had no health insurance- i wasn't playing hockey but I just didn't want to go without health insurance. I ended up getting a part time job that offered health insurance- i think jobs like that are few and far between- but they are out there....mostly larger corporations, if I remember correctly. They offered less coverage than they would for full time people...but it was worth it.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote