HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Trade Heating Up? Washington?

Old
09-29-2007, 04:40 PM
exwhaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Yeah but if the checking line is dominating and we want to keep it together then it might be a possibility.

No, it's not. Since the firesale, this organization has been adament about building a good room. Somebody like Zherdev would undo all that work.

There also are assets within the organization that would preclude bringing in Zherdev for a long-term basis. I would not be surprised to see Andrew Gordon in a Caps uniform this year.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 04:46 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
The more I think about it the more Im against it....remember the last time we made a gamble on a player and his lockerroom "antics" and thought it be ok....Jagr came here and killed our lockerroom and started this rebuild. So lets stay away from Lockerroom cancers from now on. the system of a tightnit room is working great now and we should just keep it that way unless we know for sure that Olie, Ovie, and Clark and the rest of the team can shape a player up
I think the rookie nobody Coach Cassidy was more of a cancer than Jagr was. Jagr just balked at his pathetic obsession to make Jagr a player that he was not, a Caps protoype defense first player. We should have opened up the offense and gotten a REAL coach with all that talent we had. We tried to save money on a minor league coach and that caused the rebuild.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
I would not be surprised to see Andrew Gordon in a Caps uniform this year.
From some of the things I've read and heard, I think you probably have a good bet there, though I've no idea under what circumstances.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Yeah but if the checking line is dominating and we want to keep it together then it might be a possibility.
Then you call up a kid from Hershey --- will Fehr be healthy,? what about Bourque? Gordon? Caps have choices in-house, they don't need to make a trade unless they want to.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 07:53 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
If they were willing to take Clymer's contract as well.

Eminger (1 million)
Clymer (1 million)

for

Zherdev (2.5 million)

And lets not pretend that the Caps don't have a huge hole at the top line RW position.

He's young
He's a fantastic talent
And lets be honest, he is great value for a guy like Eminger.

Assuming the Caps could make a deal like that (and that is a HUGE assumption) I would def like to see them take a chance and do it. The risk is high, but the potential reward is higher.
Really? Flash hasn't produced so far in the preseason?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 09:18 PM
txpd

mcphee makes a priority of the room. does a potential player addition pass the kolzig test? i doubt this one does.

my take on RW is that Fleischmann will get his games. Bourque will get some games. Clark will play most of the games from mid November til February. At that point if the Caps are still playing for something, McPhee will go shopping with his pile of 2nd round picks in a deep draft and a pile of near NHL ready prospects and buy himself a quality, no questions trade deadliner that might consider staying for another contract. Hell he might just go for a rental with Bourque, Fehr, Bouchard and Perrault all in the pipeline.

I doubt very much the Caps are interested in someone like this guy.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 09:29 AM
dbui72

Has Andrew Gordon been playing that well?

Sorry I have not been keeping up with him.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 10:15 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
he has but can he do that on a consistent basis once the real season starts...he's still a question on mark, but I hope he comes through

09-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
its preseason

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 01:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
he has but can he do that on a consistent basis once the real season starts...he's still a question on mark, but I hope he comes through
Understood however if Flash doesn't produce, Clark can easily shift into the top line RW spot and is a proven producer. Optionally, Kozlov could shift there with Nylander jumping to the top line C and Backstrom taking over the 2nd line C role. Flash can play 2nd line RW at that point. In any case, I was just saying I don't think the RW spot is a huge hole. We have a lot of options right now.

Old
09-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Understood however if Flash doesn't produce, Clark can easily shift into the top line RW spot and is a proven producer. Optionally, Kozlov could shift there with Nylander jumping to the top line C and Backstrom taking over the 2nd line C role. Flash can play 2nd line RW at that point. In any case, I was just saying I don't think the RW spot is a huge hole. We have a lot of options right now.
How is that a lot of options? Its 3 for 3 RW spots. And when specifically talking about the first line RW spot, 2 of them are bad options (Flash and Kozlov).

Old
09-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
How is that a lot of options? Its 3 for 3 RW spots. And when specifically talking about the first line RW spot, 2 of them are bad options (Flash and Kozlov).

How is Kozlov a bad option for the 1st line RW spot? Kozlov is capable of playing there.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 03:20 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
How is Kozlov a bad option for the 1st line RW spot? Kozlov is capable of playing there.
Especially with his chemistry with Ovechkin. Kozlov is better suited for the RW slot than center, and I think we'll probably see him there before January (depending on how soon Backstrom moves to the center spot).

Also, calling a 23-year-old prospect a "bad option" before he's given the ice time to actually prove himself is a bit premature (and Andrew Gordon--a guy who got 45 points in 40 games in a Division I-winning hockey program last season--is waiting in Hershey, as well as the possiblity of moving Pettinger up, since he played RW last season. There are a few options, and only one needs to work).

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 03:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's 3 options for the two top RW spots. We certainly aren't short of bottom 6 players who could easily play the 3rd line RW spot.

Old
10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Paxton Fettel

one can read some very disturbing things about Zherdev these days.

no seriously, if you think about it, he had a good rookie campaign (which he finished on a very hot streak), then had a pretty good second year although some have expected more, and finally last year he had a crappy season, zhich in my opinion resulted from the fact that he missed traigning camp after a contract dispute. but at the same time he was playing horribly in Russia lasy year before signing with the Jackets.

anyways, I believe that he'll soon put things back together and start playing like he should (at least 35 goals - 75 points scorer).

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 12:54 PM
HockeyCritter

I think Washington has had enough re-claimation projects.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 01:20 PM
C-A-P-S

Yeah at this stage I don't see this happening. Flash is going to get his shot for at least 20-30 games with the 1st line. (My feeling is this experiment is going to work out)

If it doesn't they send him down and promote Clark. I just don't see why they would want to add a personality like Zherdev to the team.

This isn't going to happen.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
It's 3 options for the two top RW spots. We certainly aren't short of bottom 6 players who could easily play the 3rd line RW spot.
IMO Clark is the only option for that 3rd line checking role. I have thought that for the last few years. Unfortunatly this team had no other players to use on a line with Ovechkin so they used Clark their insteand.

I want wingers who not only can play great in their own end but also score goals. What other RW can do that?

Old
10-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's possible for the Caps to both need a legitimate #1 RW and for Nikolai Zherdev to be absolutely, positively the wrong answer.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 02:04 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
It's possible for the Caps to both need a legitimate #1 RW and for Nikolai Zherdev to be absolutely, positively the wrong answer.
Tis a true statement.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
FrankM73

we do NOT need another moody Russian winger... nothing against them at all but man have they made for quite interesting board conversation in the last 3 years...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:16 PM
ZeroCool344

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
I think Washington has had enough re-claimation projects.
Completely agreed. If this discussion were taking place after we made a playoff run it would be different. As of yet though, there are enough guys on the team with something to prove.

ZeroCool344 is offline   Reply With Quote