HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help for center

Old
09-29-2007, 11:17 PM
fishman123097

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to fishman123097
Help for center

This is my first year and I play center I dont really know how to play center can I get some help?

fishman123097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2007, 11:55 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
There have been a couple threads on this...scroll on down and check it out. In case you can't find them, I generally will say this to ppl playing center: communicate with your D on who to cover and where they want you cause you need to bust your butt and help them out on D. But generally you want to cover the slot area.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Sensfanman

Ah Center, the key position, I'll go over a few keys

1) Face-Offs: Make sure you get low, keep your hands low and watch the refs hand, that is the biggest part. Also, if you get really good at it, try and make some signs with your linemates on where to position so you can get them the face-off. I usually jerk my elbow a bit towards the winger I plan to win it to.

2) Offense: You're goal here is to stay in the lane from the point, through the slot and in front of the goalie. If your team has possession, get screening the goalie if you can handle it. Otherwise stay between the point and the slot, moving up to shoot or down to back check. You have to be the first one out of the zone on the back check.

3) Defense: Assuming you are playing a zone defense, your zone is between the 4 face off dots and the posts of the net in sort of a hexagon shape. You have to help in front of the net and cover the slot. If your wingers stray into the corners or what not for whatever reason, you have to pick up their man on the point. If you are playing man on man, you must take the opposing centerman, who should be in the slot area. Be sure not to screen your goalie!

General playing: Being the center means you are the first one to have control over possession. Controlling the puck means you control the play, controlling the play means you control the game, that means you win. It all starts with the faceoffs. You also lead the line so to speak. You have to skate the most up and down the center line of the ice.

Have fun with being Center, it's my favourite position to play.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 12:37 AM
BigBearnier

I just started to play center, and I have loved it.. I always liked being in front of the net, and i get soooo many deflections, and garbage goals, it's awesome. Defensively, it's ditto, to what familyguyman said...

(and, faceoffs are key. i guess that probably didn't need to be said, but it's the most important role of a center IMO...)

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 12:45 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

I played centre for the first time last year and loved it. My team keeps all the stats. i won 92% of my faceoffs

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 01:35 AM
slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCookieMonster View Post
I just started to play center, and I have loved it.. I always liked being in front of the net, and i get soooo many deflections, and garbage goals, it's awesome. Defensively, it's ditto, to what familyguyman said...

(and, faceoffs are key. i guess that probably didn't need to be said, but it's the most important role of a center IMO...)
im going to say i disagree. faceoffs are a team effort more than you think.

centers role is to quarterback the offence and help out on defense.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 01:44 AM
BigBearnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I played centre for the first time last year and loved it. My team keeps all the stats. i won 92% of my faceoffs
hah, not too shabby.

anyways, i always considering winning faceoffs key,....

unfortunately, I have been doing horribly on faceoffs this season... I have no idea whats off,.. typically i win around 85-90% of my faceoffs so this is a bit odd... anyone know of anything I could be doing different/wrong?

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCookieMonster View Post
hah, not too shabby.

anyways, i always considering winning faceoffs key,....

unfortunately, I have been doing horribly on faceoffs this season... I have no idea whats off,.. typically i win around 85-90% of my faceoffs so this is a bit odd... anyone know of anything I could be doing different/wrong?
It could be a combination of a few things:
1) Other centers are getting better at faceoffs
2) The refs have less tells before they drop the puck (usually they have a little wrist flick up before they drop it letting you react easier)
3) You need to get your hands lower on your stick

Those are usually the ones that will do it, also if you've taken some time off from being center or the year just started, it might take a while to get back in the groove.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Quagmier

my .02

On the defensive side of the ice: in your own zone you are pretty much the 3rd defenseman. It's up to you to identify mismatches either in front of the net or in the corners and pick up the slack. Like FGman said communication with your D is critical and it should always be clear who has the corners and who has the slot/net area covered.

Breaking out: make sure you are as LOW in your own zone as possible when breaking out. you want to make sure the D have an easy target to hit if they get into trouble and getting down low really helps them out both with D and the breakout. Also, be sure to know which side your D is breaking out on, as once they make the 1st pass to the wingers...you have to get there right away. The D usually pinches up on the wingers in your own zone so its important to be close to them to create a mismatch and push the puck up.

It was said before that the Center's primary job is to control the puck and control the play...IMO that starts with the breakout and that starts with you being speedy enough to get to your players and offer support.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
my .02

On the defensive side of the ice: in your own zone you are pretty much the 3rd defenseman. It's up to you to identify mismatches either in front of the net or in the corners and pick up the slack. Like FGman said communication with your D is critical and it should always be clear who has the corners and who has the slot/net area covered.

Breaking out: make sure you are as LOW in your own zone as possible when breaking out. you want to make sure the D have an easy target to hit if they get into trouble and getting down low really helps them out both with D and the breakout. Also, be sure to know which side your D is breaking out on, as once they make the 1st pass to the wingers...you have to get there right away. The D usually pinches up on the wingers in your own zone so its important to be close to them to create a mismatch and push the puck up.

It was said before that the Center's primary job is to control the puck and control the play...IMO that starts with the breakout and that starts with you being speedy enough to get to your players and offer support.
thats about it right there.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote