HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The Official "Jason Labarbera is a terrible Goaltender" thread!

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
The Official "Jason Labarbera is a terrible Goaltender" thread!

And before you flame me with your "it's only 2 games!" crap, let me explain -

Labarbera is not an NHL goaltender. He is not capable of performing as a number one goaltender night in and night out against the best competition in the world. It should be of no surprise that he performs admirably in the AHL, where the game isn't as fast as it is in the NHL.

His lateral movement is terrible. He is extremely slow going post to post. He tends to fall on his stomach in scrambles and therefore leaves himself way out of position and unable to recover for rebounds. He is a big guy, but somehow makes himself small in net (mostly by being too deep in his net).

I have been saying this guy isn't the answer to the Kings' problems in net since he played his first pre-season game for us and it became more clear to me than ever today where once again, every single shot against him had myself and the 6 other people watching the game with me thinking he was going to be scored on. Every Single Shot. And if fans feel that way about him, imagine how his team feels.

Bottom line - he's an AHL Goaltender at best. 'Nuff said.

Old
09-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Kingswin

I'll agree to this but what are the king's options right now, seriously? It is definately an interesting situation. I think with his performance today they are almost forced to keep up Bernier and keep on switching between the two. The kings have played a whole season with Dan Cloutier.. LaBarbara can not be worse

Old
09-30-2007, 11:02 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

At least he's better than a beachball we sent down that isn't even worthy of ECHL status...

Just a few words that I hope this is just a rusty start that will go off to a decent finish... Still not quite where he should be at this level...but given time...he'd make a reliable backup...

Old
09-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Erika

Hey, just what happen to Jean-Sebastien Aubin ?! Wasn't he suppose to be the Starter ?

Old
09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

I will flame you with the "it's only 2 games" crap...

Old
09-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadieJr78 View Post
Ok, we'll see about that. I'll make sure to pull this thread up in April. Hell, I'll probably be pulling it up in December. Mark my words - within 2 years you will not see his name on an NHL roster.

Old
09-30-2007, 11:20 PM
supervillains10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadieJr78 View Post
+1

Old
09-30-2007, 11:21 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Aubin 'has been' (and perhaps those are the operative words) an NHL goalie, #1 in Pittsburgh in the 99-00 season with 51 games, a 2.58 GAA and 91.4% save percentage.

HE can back up Bernier (LOL)

Old
09-30-2007, 11:25 PM
In The Flesh

I thought LaBarbera was the Monarches Goalie for you guys. Why play Bernier, he has a great game, then sit him? I don't get it.

Old
09-30-2007, 11:28 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I thought LaBarbera was the Monarches Goalie for you guys. Why play Bernier, he has a great game, then sit him? I don't get it.
They're concerned about giving Bernier too much, too fast . . . afraid of traumatizing the young lad, afraid it could hurt his 'development'. To me, he looks like he's already developed.

Old
09-30-2007, 11:44 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post

Posts like this are all over and drive me crazy. It is a very common practice to play different goalies in back to back games.

Old
10-01-2007, 12:31 AM
State of Hockey

It's only 2 games!

Sorry, I just had to because it's true.

Old
10-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Posts like this are all over and drive me crazy. It is a very common practice to play different goalies in back to back games.

Yup, can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be stupid enough to play a goalie in back to back games this early in the season....

But add me to the list of the anti-Labarbera club.

I really just don't understand what his problem is. He knows this could be the last real chance he has of not only making a NHL roster but being a starter! And what does he do? Have a horrible terrible training camp and simply look unprepared.

I guess all that talk about how he needed to grow up and learn how to be professional was right... Because he certianlly isn't their now and maybe he lost his shot because of it.

He didn't earn his spot on the team.

Old
10-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post

Isn't it only ONE game?!

Quote:
Labarbera is not an NHL goaltender. (...)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...vLYF?year=2005

Old
10-01-2007, 01:14 AM
SC2008

Quote:

Labarbera is not an NHL goaltender. He is not capable of performing as a number one goaltender night in and night out against the best competition in the world. It should be of no surprise that he performs admirably in the AHL, where the game isn't as fast as it is in the NHL.

His lateral movement is terrible. He is extremely slow going post to post. He tends to fall on his stomach in scrambles and therefore leaves himself way out of position and unable to recover for rebounds. He is a big guy, but somehow makes himself small in net (mostly by being too deep in his net).

I have been saying this guy isn't the answer to the Kings' problems in net since he played his first pre-season game for us and it became more clear to me than ever today where once again, every single shot against him had myself and the 6 other people watching the game with me thinking he was going to be scored on. Every Single Shot. And if fans feel that way about him, imagine how his team feels.

Is the sky falling too?

Umm...the Kings have their answer in Bernier. Labby is an adequate backup.

Kings Fans - How did Cloutier get the name Beachball? I think its hilarious.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Kings Fans - How did Cloutier get the name Beachball? I think its hilarious.
I think it's from that shot he couldn't stop:

Old
10-01-2007, 01:31 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
I think it's from that shot he couldn't stop:

From the blue line no less?

Old
10-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
What a ridiculous thread. He has played one game, and a game in which he didnt receive much help from his team. None of the goals against him tonight were really his fault at all, but the result of poor defensive play and giveaways. Take a chill pill and wait for a slightly larger sample size before taking the pitchforks and torches out of the closet.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:

Would you rather have Cloutier back?

He is a #1. Besides, it's only two games that were played half way around the world.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Would you rather have Cloutier back?
Yes, in fact. I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
He is a #1.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:59 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
What a ridiculous thread. He has played one game, and a game in which he didnt receive much help from his team. None of the goals against him tonight were really his fault at all, but the result of poor defensive play and giveaways. Take a chill pill and wait for a slightly larger sample size before taking the pitchforks and torches out of the closet.
Tell me, what exactly has he proven in his three training camps with the Kings?

Old
10-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post

I really just don't understand what his problem is. He knows this could be the last real chance he has of not only making a NHL roster but being a starter! And what does he do? Have a horrible terrible training camp and simply look unprepared.

I guess all that talk about how he needed to grow up and learn how to be professional was right... Because he certianlly isn't their now and maybe he lost his shot because of it.

He didn't earn his spot on the team.
Bingo.

Old
10-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Eighty-sixed

*shrugs*

He may not win the Vezina, but he's part of our 3-man tandem. Might as well support the guy and hope for the best instead of calling for his head after every loss.

I'm sure Bernier and Aubin will get their games too. We'll have a better picture of the odd man out after 10-15 games.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that his style does indeed look uncomfortable, but that isn't a bad thing. He's not your typical butterfly goaltender from Quebec. He plays a much more stand-up style, which isn't as fluid or "crisp" looking as a Bernier/Garon/Huet type netminder. So don't worry too much when he starts acting goofy. He has his own style, and as people have mentioned...it works pretty well.

Last edited by Eighty-sixed: 10-01-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old
10-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Tell me, what exactly has he proven in his three training camps with the Kings?
Didn't he win 8 of the first 9 games he started in 2005? Wasn't he like top-3 in the league during that time, and very good until he had some bad news in his personal life? And didn't he finish that year, after some terrible times everybody will admit it, on a very positive note, with two victories in his last two games, shuting out the Sharks in his last, and maintaining a S% of close to .990 in his last three? .975 in his last four?

I don't know about what he didn't prove in his training camps with the Kings, but to me he proved he could play in this league,... you know, during the hockey season.

Old
10-01-2007, 02:38 AM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Illya Bryzgalov sucks too then; that f'in scrub! If Labs is purely an AHL goalie, then does that make our defense ECHL caliber?

Seriously, I'd give it more than ONE game before declaring him trash...

Closed Thread