HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The Official "Jason Labarbera is a terrible Goaltender" thread!

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2007, 02:47 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post

I don't know about what he didn't prove in his training camps with the Kings, but to me he proved he could play in this league,... you know, during the hockey season.
Wow....he played so well during that 8 game stretch a couple years back that he clearly solidified himself as a #1 netminder, right?

Unbelieveable.

Old
10-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Wow....he played so well during that 8 game stretch a couple years back that he clearly solidified himself as a #1 netminder, right?

Unbelieveable.
Weren't you the one who used his last three training camps as an indication of his AHL-only worth?

Wow... I mean, unbelievable comeback.

-----------------

Edit: Oh and...

Quote:
Bottom line - he's an AHL Goaltender at best. 'Nuff said.
2003-2004: AHL - Baz Bastien Memorial Trophy (Best Goaltender)
2003-2004: AHL - First All-Star Team
2003-2004: AHL - Les Cunningham Plaque (MVP)
2004-2005: AHL - Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Trophy (Fewest goals against) (shared with Ste
2006-2007: AHL - Baz Bastien Memorial Trophy (Best Goaltender)
2006-2007: AHL - First All-Star Team
2006-2007: AHL - Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Trophy (Fewest goals against)

Didn't you mean "He is the best AHL goaltender"?

Last edited by Complaining Customer: 10-01-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old
10-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
This thread is lame.

He sure didn't play a spectacular game but christ...it's just one freakin' game. I was at the game saturday, and Bernier got a big help, our D blocked a ton of shots. Yesterday our D was nowhere to be found.

I can't stand this lgk-esque thread.

Old
10-01-2007, 06:17 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Edit: Oh and...

2003-2004: AHL - Baz Bastien Memorial Trophy (Best Goaltender)
2003-2004: AHL - First All-Star Team
2003-2004: AHL - Les Cunningham Plaque (MVP)
2004-2005: AHL - Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Trophy (Fewest goals against) (shared with Ste

2005 - Rangers Do Not Qualify LaBarbera

2006-2007: AHL - Baz Bastien Memorial Trophy (Best Goaltender)
2006-2007: AHL - First All-Star Team
2006-2007: AHL - Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Trophy (Fewest goals against)

Didn't you mean "He is the best AHL goaltender"?
I added a key moment in LaBarbera "history"...

Old
10-01-2007, 07:51 AM
marajade

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince'07 View Post
Aubin 'has been' (and perhaps those are the operative words) an NHL goalie, #1 in Pittsburgh in the 99-00 season with 51 games, a 2.58 GAA and 91.4% save percentage.

HE can back up Bernier (LOL)
I totally agree. Go with Bernier and Aubin. Aubin did good for Pitt and the Leafs. He just needs a good defense infront of him, which we almost have. Labarbera, is just the opposite, a good AHL goalie. I am on the anti Labs club. Don't even give him one more chance, toss his ass back.

Old
10-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

The whole team sucked yesterday, and LaBarbera right along with them. It's not all that uncommon to see, but if Labs wants to stay in the NHL, he's going to have to step up on some of those days where the team sucks.

10-01-2007, 08:17 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
This thread is lame.

He sure didn't play a spectacular game but christ...it's just one freakin' game. I was at the game saturday, and Bernier got a big help, our D blocked a ton of shots. Yesterday our D was nowhere to be found.

I agree. Beauty 'eh? is always the one trashing LGK bcause of threads like this.

Old
10-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Didn't he win 8 of the first 9 games he started in 2005? Wasn't he like top-3 in the league during that time, and very good until he had some bad news in his personal life? And didn't he finish that year, after some terrible times everybody will admit it, on a very positive note, with two victories in his last two games, shuting out the Sharks in his last, and maintaining a S% of close to .990 in his last three? .975 in his last four?

I don't know about what he didn't prove in his training camps with the Kings, but to me he proved he could play in this league,... you know, during the hockey season.
I agree.

You can't freak out over ONE game, although I agree that he did not look good.

Old
10-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
I added a key moment in LaBarbera "history"...
Fair point, but I think you need to keep this in context. The Rangers had a glut of goalie prospects when they let him walk. But you're right, if they thought he was so great, they would have kept him over Valiquette, Montoya, Lundqvist, et al.

Old
10-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
This thread is lame.

Thankyou, best post in the thread. 1 game, 2 different teams. I'm thinking this thread would still be here even if the score was 2-1.

Old
10-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Tadite

Quote:
This thread is lame.

Actually its not one freaking game its the intire training camp and most of his NHL career...

Right now both Bernier and Aubin played better then Laberbera. If the guy can't beat out a journeyman backup goalie or a 19 year old prospect why should we pretend he can be a starter in the NHL?

Old
10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Didn't he win 8 of the first 9 games he started in 2005? Wasn't he like top-3 in the league during that time, and very good until he had some bad news in his personal life? And didn't he finish that year, after some terrible times everybody will admit it, on a very positive note, with two victories in his last two games, shuting out the Sharks in his last, and maintaining a S% of close to .990 in his last three? .975 in his last four?
So let me see if I understand this. Because the guy went on a 8 game hot streak nearly 3 years ago you think he deserves to be a starter in the NHL?

He came to camp last year fat, lazy, and unprepared and got beat out by Garon for the backup spot.

This year he comes to camp and precedes to get beat out by Aubin and Bernier.

But according to you because he had a couple of good games 3 years ago means that all that doesn't matter. Actually winning a spot in the NHL is meaningless....

Aubin
NHL 199 2.91 .901

Labarbera
NHL 35 3.14 .890

Aubin has had a better career, is only 30, and has proven can be a backup in the NHL. Labarbera is 27, hasn't done a damn thing in the NHL, and has proven he has real problems being consistently professional.

Old
10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Over-reaction.

I want Bernier to be the starter too. He looked great. But only a fool would look at both games and say that LaBarbera has no business in the NHL, even as Bernier's backup.

Yes, he made mistakes, but the defense wasn't half as good for LaBarbera as it was for Bernier. Does this excuse LaBarbera's game? Of course not. A true NHL #1 goalie will step up when his D is lacking and JLB didn't seem to do that.

Regarding the "His 8 game stretch 2 years ago makes him a #1 goalie???" crap, enough with the drama. JLB has had his moments in the NHL. Some positive and some negative, but to write him off after one regular season NHL game in which his defense didn't offer much help, all while playing half-way around the world after a shortened training camp/pre-season is ridiculous.

I think if JLB were more economical with his movement in the crease (something Bernier was EXCELLENT at) he probably would've stopped three of those goals the other day.

Two goals got by him because he crawled out to cover a puck, didn't get to it, and was left out of position with an open net. A third got in because he went to the side to try and play the puck (poor decision) and it took a perfect bounce behind the net and came out the other side. If Bernier were in there, he's have stayed square to the puck, in the butterfly, on the first two and I don't think he'd have gone after the dump-in that took a lucky Ducks bounce.

Poor performance and decision-making on JLB's part, but easily corrected as indicated above.

Old
10-01-2007, 11:33 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
So let me see if I understand this. Because the guy went on a 8 game hot streak nearly 3 years ago you think he deserves to be a starter in the NHL?
And you're basing your opinion on one additional NHL game played as compared with the person you were responding to...?

Old
10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
He reminds me a lot of Jamie Storr. He appears to be weak mentally and gives up soft goals. The thing that I believe is the key indicator that he is not an NHL goalie is his ability to stop and cover the 1st shot. The puck seems to bounce all over the place once it hits him which is a very bad sign and will force the dmen to scramble. For those of you who play hockey you know you want a guy that is smooth, calm and stops the shots. LaBarbera is not that guy. A stud in the AHL and a dud in the NHL. Bernier on the other hand can do everything LaBarbera cannot. Calm, smooth, good lateral movement and controls the 1st shot.

Old
10-01-2007, 12:17 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

whether you're right in the long run is inconsequential. One game is never enough evidence to derive a conclusion. Labarbera needs more opportunities to prove himself this year. Two months in, the story could be completley different.

Old
10-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Obviously you don't understand crap. Where did I say I thought he deserved to be a starter? I said he proved in the past that he could play in this league, and thus that Beauty, eh?'s conclusion, that he was an AHL goalie at best (based on one single game + the fact that he never did nothing right in other training camps) was pure overreaction and thus had absolutely no value.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:07 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
This thread is lame.

I agree 100% Albi!

Old
10-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Oh man....just wait. By season's end you guys (the ones who disagree that he is brutal) will be singing a different tune. And I'll be pissed that again, the Kigns won't be in the playoffs but at the same time I'll be glad knowing that myself and few others pointed this out early and got shelled for it.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:11 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Isn't this Marc Crawford talking about Dan Cloutier?

Old
10-01-2007, 01:35 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct View Post
Fair point, but I think you need to keep this in context. The Rangers had a glut of goalie prospects when they let him walk. But you're right, if they thought he was so great, they would have kept him over Valiquette, Montoya, Lundqvist, et al.
Valiquette was 28-yrs old at the time and headed to Russia for the 05-06 season...

Montoya was still in school but my guess is they had an idea he'd be coming out early...

Lundqvist went straight to the NHL...

Old
10-01-2007, 01:37 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
at the same time I'll be glad knowing that myself and few others pointed this out early and got shelled for it.
'Cause that's what it's about. Being first on the "I told you this guy sucked" train.

The thread seems to be you and the "they suck" regulars saying "he's terrible" and the overwhelming majority saying "it's too early to tell, but JLB and the team looked bad in one game". I would agree with you/Tad/Tikk that he looked bad on Sunday. He may very well have a poor year, but most people aren't willing to write him off as easily as you are after one regular season game. Fwiw, I still see his upside as a 40 game NHL starter who can go 25-15. Can he do that this year? Time will tell.

Frolov seemed to struggle a bit in camp and in game action as well, but there aren't any reactionary threads calling for his flogging.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Oh man....just wait. By season's end you guys (the ones who disagree that he is brutal) will be singing a different tune. And I'll be pissed that again, the Kigns won't be in the playoffs but at the same time I'll be glad knowing that myself and few others pointed this out early and got shelled for it.
You don't seem to understand that nobody here said Labs was the answer, that he would be a #1 in this league, that he was taking the Kings to the playoffs, etc.

It's not you (right) against the world (wrong); it's you (overreacting) against the world (wiser and smoother).

Nobody said you'd be proven wrong.

(edit: multiball kind of beat me to it)

Old
10-01-2007, 01:43 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
I have no idea what you aree talking about. I dont think we should wait until seasons end. I have said religiously, give him 10-20 games. If, he still plays as poor as he did then, we will worry about it. I dont think he is as bad as he was that yesterday. I never said he was are star #1 goalie, but he should be given a FAIR chance.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
Frolov seemed to struggle a bit in camp and in game action as well, but there aren't any reactionary threads calling for his flogging.
Flogging Frolov would be a great name for a band.

Closed Thread