HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The Official "Jason Labarbera is a terrible Goaltender" thread!

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
This thread is lame.

He sure didn't play a spectacular game but christ...it's just one freakin' game. I was at the game saturday, and Bernier got a big help, our D blocked a ton of shots. Yesterday our D was nowhere to be found.

I can't stand this lgk-esque thread.
Definitely agreed. By no means do I think he's a great goalie, but he turned in a really good performance at the end of the 2nd and for the whole 3rd period. Give the guy a chance, for ****'s sake.

Old
10-01-2007, 01:56 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
'Cause that's what it's about. Being first on the "I told you this guy sucked" train.

The thread seems to be you and the "they suck" regulars saying "he's terrible" and the overwhelming majority saying "it's too early to tell, but JLB and the team looked bad in one game". I would agree with you/Tad/Tikk that he looked bad on Sunday. He may very well have a poor year, but most people aren't willing to write him off as easily as you are after one regular season game. Fwiw, I still see his upside as a 40 game NHL starter who can go 25-15. Can he do that this year? Time will tell.

Frolov seemed to struggle a bit in camp and in game action as well, but there aren't any reactionary threads calling for his flogging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
You don't seem to understand that nobody here said Labs was the answer, that he would be a #1 in this league, that he was taking the Kings to the playoffs, etc.

It's not you (right) against the world (wrong); it's you (overreacting) against the world (wiser and smoother).

Nobody said you'd be proven wrong.

(edit: multiball kind of beat me to it)
all those self-righteous "Labarbera sucks" posters please please read these two posts thoroughly.

Old
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Tikkanen
He reminds me a lot of Jamie Storr. He appears to be weak mentally and gives up soft goals. The thing that I believe is the key indicator that he is not an NHL goalie is his ability to stop and cover the 1st shot. The puck seems to bounce all over the place once it hits him which is a very bad sign and will force the dmen to scramble. For those of you who play hockey you know you want a guy that is smooth, calm and stops the shots. LaBarbera is not that guy. A stud in the AHL and a dud in the NHL. Bernier on the other hand can do everything LaBarbera cannot. Calm, smooth, good lateral movement and controls the 1st shot.
Agree with the Storr comparison. Another guy that who thought the job was his no matter what.

Look, I know Labs is capable of more and some seem to think this is his first game. He's had a couple of preseason games to show what he's got and imo he hasn't shown the desire to be the #1 guy. Especially when it was pretty much handed to him. Wouldn't the preseason games be the time to outplay a goalie coming off an injury, a journeyman goalie, a European goalie and a 19 yr old goalie?

The excuse for Storr was he didn't have the defense in front of him as Potvin. I remember a lot of people saying that. Now it is Labs didn't have the defense play as hard for him as they did for Bernier.

There is a big difference between a calm and cool goalie than a flopping and panicky goalie. The defense/team knows what they are getting between the 2 goalies and they play accordingly. Just sayin'.

Old
10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
And you're basing your opinion on one additional NHL game played as compared with the person you were responding to...?

I suppose his whole NHL career as well as the past two training camps doesn't count right?

Its not like he has shown he should be in the NHL.

If he has been beat out by Aubin and Bernier and heck every other backup NHL goalie in the league then why keep pretending that the is anything more then a good minor league goalie?

Guy is on at least his third chance with the Kings... You would think he would at least take one of them....

Old
10-01-2007, 02:50 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Hello all, this is my first post (I have been reading these posts for about one month) and I hope my opinions will shed some light on this matter.
All of those who say that Labs sucks! are 100% correct. I do not make this claim based on just the few handful of games that he has played in the NHL, but yet on his abilities and determination. He is slow from side to side, and looks unprepared to play every game that I have seen from him. He is technically unsound, always overreacting and out of position and too slow to get back into position to try and stop the rebounds that he always gives up, therefore he is unfit for the NHL. These traits and abilities, or the lack thereof, exudes no confidence from him and therefore the team has no confidence in him.
Cloutier rightfully and deservedly earned the name "Mr. Beachball" for his performances. I would say that Labs has earned himself the name Flapjack. He is tall and lanky and does not look like he even has control over his own body, sad!
I think we can all agree from training camp and the pre-season the order of the goals by performance was Bernier, Aubin, Cloutier, LaBarbara. If the majority of you agree with me on this point, than I am confused as to why only Cloutier is in Manchester, but having them both down there will not help us out in the long run either.
The Kings need to stop P*ssy footing around with the goalie situation and get things settled, so that the players won't have to wonder if they will have some consistency behind them all year long. Labs need to go to Manchester, maybe he can teach the goalies down there. Cloutier needs to be called up and hopefully someone will take him of off our hands. If not, then we need to buy him out and be rid of him.
Bernier and Aubin should be sharing the duties right now until one of them falters which hopefully won't happen. If it does then we need to sign a proven #1b goalie to help Bernier share some of the load. I don't think that Bernier should play more than half the games this year no matter how he performs.

Old
10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Squid View Post
Hello all, this is my first post (I have been reading these posts for about one month) and I hope my opinions will shed some light on this matter.

Cloutier needs to be called up and hopefully someone will take him of off our hands. If not, then we need to buy him out and be rid of him.
Bernier and Aubin should be sharing the duties right now until one of them falters which hopefully won't happen. If it does then we need to sign a proven #1b goalie to help Bernier share some of the load. I don't think that Bernier should play more than half the games this year no matter how he performs.
Dan? Is that you?

Old
10-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Super MooCow

please dont tell me that people are judging Labs only on ONE game...this man has PROVEN himself (and more) in the minors and proved he can handle the NHL in 05-06...he'll do just fine this season....as for the youngster...well i think we should keep the 3 goalie rotation and see how he keeps up, giving him 1/3 or less of the season..Crawford should be very gentle on that matter...lets not put him in the same sentence with Storr.

Old
10-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Super MooCow
please dont tell me that people are judging Labs only on ONE game...this man has PROVEN himself (and more) in the minors and proved he can handle the NHL in 05-06...he'll do just fine this season....as for the youngster...well i think we should keep the 3 goalie rotation and see how he keeps up, giving him 1/3 or less of the season..Crawford should be very gentle on that matter...lets not put him in the same sentence with Storr.
I don't know why people are saying it is only one game. It has not been just one game. He's had a couple of preseason games and he hasn't been impressive. He's been panicky, slow and has not shown any desire whatsoever.

Also, last year, he came into camp out of shape and uninspired. This is his 3rd opportunity and he is blowing it. He's signed for one more year. Luckily it is under a mil.

Also, let's put the Storr comparisons to rest. Bottom line is, Storr has only himself to blame. The kings were very patient with him.

Enough of this "we need to be gentle with Bernier" crap. He is not going to win all 82 games. He is going to lose a couple of games.

Fleury had a terrible defense and inexperienced team in front of him in Pitt. He was thrown to the wolves.

Bernier, on paper, will have a better defense and team in front of him. I'm comparing 1st seasons. We all know Pitt has a better team right now.

Old
10-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Maybe this should be a new thread but since the current topic of Labarbara has already been discussed ad naseum..

I am curious what everyone thinks the Kings WILL do and/or should do this season if:
-Labarbara can't turn it around
-Bernier plays as good with a few bumps in the road and DL decides he should wait a year (or is this even a possibility if he keeps the same level of play up?)
-Aubin is out for at least 3 months and/or isn't fit to start 30+ games.
-Cloutier doesn't improve in the AHL leaving DL without the option of recalling him.

Long story short, if nothing changes in regards to the way these goalies are playing and Aubin is hurt for a significant period of time. What do the Kings do (if anything)? What should they do?

Will they make a trade? If so, for whom? And under what circumstances, aside from lousy playing, do you think they would opt to send Bernier back to Juniors?

EDIT: If they were able to rotate 3 goalies that would give them 27 games until they had to make a decision about Bernier. Do you think Cloutier could be making a case to come back up by the end of November or early December?

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 10-01-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old
10-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Winger23

You know, Labs wasn't much better a few years back when he was playing well, and got all kinds of praise. I'm not disagreeing with you any of you, but do you all realize just how good Bernier is already, to make everyone call for Labs head already?

Hell I'm at the point if Bernier isn't in net, I really have little interest in watching the game. Not much of a Kings fan for me to say this, it's just thats how much of an impact the guy has had on me, let alone what the impact has got to be on his teammates.

Old
10-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I was never convinced LaBarbera would be this 'savior' as most were thinking he'd be as he was stuck in Manchester last season. He's better than Brust or Fukufuji in the minors, but right now he isn't looking all that much better than them. He's stunk it up in the pre-season, in three minutes against Salzburg and his performance yesterday didn't help his cause. He is slowly proving more and more that he is playing against competition that is out of his league.

There are tons of goalies who have had success in the minors, may have a few impressive showings in some NHL games but ultimately are not cut mentally or physically to play in the NHL. Look at Nolan Schaefer for example, who had an impressive pro start with the Sharks. But the reality is that he isn't good enough to stick on an NHL roster. The same applies with Andy Chiodo, Maxime Ouellet, Jean-Francoise Labbe and countless other minor league goalies.

An excellent example of his poor fundamentals. The goaltender is supposed to make himself bigger in net when the puck is in tight, but what does LaBarbera do? He panics and sprawls on his belly and makes himself to be as small as possible to leave a gaping open net for the opposing team to easily bury a loose puck.

He can't control rebounds and he does very poor job covering loose pucks. Right now the only thing he has proven is that he is an adequate #3 goaltender, something the Kings appear to be stacked full of right now.

Old
10-01-2007, 06:10 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

the defense responded much better to bernier. he isn't afraid to communicate with his defensemen and it showed.

i think it's fairly obvious that labarbera wasn't ready and the entire team knew it. this, in turn, caused the blueline to overcompensate and panic, and resulted in a general breakdown on the kings' back end. labarbera has had a terrible camp and preseason. defend him all you want, but it's fairly obvious our team plays much better as a whole with bernier manning the net. this was evident in the preseason, evident in the london games, and will remain evident throughout the regular season.

i'm not saying labarbera can't turn it around, but he's never been a great goalie. he's certainly not enough to get us to the playoffs this year. if bernier continues playing like he has over the past couple months, i think it's very reasonable to assume the kings can nab a seventh or eighth seed. if it aint broke, don't fix it. bernier for starter.

Old
10-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
i think it's fairly obvious that labarbera wasn't ready and the entire team knew it. this, in turn, caused the blueline to overcompensate and panic, and resulted in a general breakdown on the kings' back end. labarbera has had a terrible camp and preseason. defend him all you want, but it's fairly obvious our team plays much better as a whole with bernier manning the net. this was evident in the preseason, evident in the london games, and will remain evident throughout the regular season.
I am inclined to agree with this. We have all said that good teams start with good goaltending. If the players on the ice do not have confidence in their goaltender it can have a huge influence on how they play. With Bernier in net it seemed the skaters took more chances by pinching in the offensive zone and activating defensemen on the rush. On the defensive side the players were playing more man on man defense to force turn-overs. With Labarbera in net the team,s offense was almost non-existent because they weren't willing to send that extra fore-checker into the offensive zone. Also the passive defense was present because the players seemed to be well aware of Labarbera's difficulty in handling rebounds which alters the overall defensive strategy.

Old
10-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Scottkmlps

LaBarbera is what he is. He's a great AHL goalie, but a marginal NHL goalie. You see so many goalie's that are great in the AHL, struggle in the NHL. They just don't have what it takes to be an NHL goalie, and LaBarbera is one of them.

Old
10-01-2007, 06:45 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

If money really IS no object, and this is still a(nother) "rebuilding" year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Long story short, if nothing changes in regards to the way these goalies are playing and Aubin is hurt for a significant period of time. What do the Kings do (if anything)? What should they do?
Do the Kings have enough cap-space to absorb Jose Theodore's salary? Acquire Theodore + super-duper-neato-high-round-pick for practically nothing; you've got a Dan Cloutiesque-backup at only (nearly) twice the price...

EDIT: On second thought, scratch that. Apparantly, I had forgotten for a moment about the horror that was the game vs. Colorado (Cloutier vs. Theodore) last December. Might as well bring Potvin back...

Last edited by The Hegemony Consul: 10-01-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Repressed memory
Old
10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Kick

If it weren’t the defending Stanley Cup champs that they were playing on Sunday and the same team they embarrassed on Saturday, then I may have jumped on the “lynch LaBarbera” bandwagon as well. You know damn well that the Ducks were going to bring it on Sunday and it just happened that Labs & the rest of the team wasn’t quite ready for it. I’ll give him a couple of more games before I condemn him to Reading.

Old
10-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

I am not lynching Labs. I do believe he is much better than we are seeing right now. He's not playing like a #1 goalie should be playing. There is no desire or fight in his game.

He reminds of Storr without the attitude. He's making the same mistakes Storr has made. There is no desire or drive, he has this sense of self entitlement and he's been lazy.

Hopefully he can snap out if it. But right now, Bernier has outplayed everyone.

I say let the kid play.

Old
10-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick View Post
If it weren’t the defending Stanley Cup champs that they were playing on Sunday and the same team they embarrassed on Saturday, then I may have jumped on the “lynch LaBarbera” bandwagon as well. You know damn well that the Ducks were going to bring it on Sunday and it just happened that Labs & the rest of the team wasn’t quite ready for it. I’ll give him a couple of more games before I condemn him to Reading.
And a few days prior to that, he allowed three goals in three minutes against the Salzburg Red Bulls, who are not quite the Stanley Cup Champions. He also got lit up against Colorado during the pre-season, the same Avs Bernier was able to beat at Frozen Fury.

This thread isn't ripping LaBarbera after a one-game performance. He's been as bad (if not worse) than Cloutier throughout the preseason, but he's being excused by fans for his poor performances. I'm sorry but if he is unprepared to play in the NHL then he shouldn't be wearing a Kings sweater.

Old
10-01-2007, 07:42 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Would you rather have Cloutier back?
HELL NO!!!

Old
10-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Tadite

What do we do if Aubin really does have a serious injury?

We go with Bernier and hope he can take 40+ NHL games. Then we put in our 3rd string goalie (Labarbera) and missed the playoffs yet again...

We can't keep screwing around with our goalie position. If our best case schenerio is a 19 year old kid, a journaryman NHL backup, and a minor league all star then we are in significant trouble.

I always laugh at people being happy when some 27 year old guy becomes a all-star in the minors. The only reason he has that "honor" is that he got beat out by the better players in his generation in making the NHL... Now if it was some 22 year old prospect (notice i say prospect) that would be something to talk about...

Old
10-01-2007, 08:24 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Ok, we'll see about that. I'll make sure to pull this thread up in April. Hell, I'll probably be pulling it up in December. Mark my words - within 2 years you will not see his name on an NHL roster.
That is a very BOLD statement to make.

Old
10-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
I always laugh at people being happy when some 27 year old guy becomes a all-star in the minors. The only reason he has that "honor" is that he got beat out by the better players in his generation in making the NHL... Now if it was some 22 year old prospect (notice i say prospect) that would be something to talk about...
Why would you laugh at that? It takes a lot of hard work and motivation to make it to that level, even if you are 27 years old and still in the AHL. Derek Armstrong didn't make it to the NHL as a regular until he was 30 years old. If he quit when he was 27, he never would've made it. He certainly put in more hard work and sacrifice to do that than most of us would. Unless you are a touring musician or in the military, I doubt either of us have ever put that level of commitment and sacrifice into anything.

Old
10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Osprey

If this thread had been given a less stupidly sensational title and if Beauty hadn't been quite so righteous in his attitude, I would've agreed with him, for the most part, with how awful LaBarbera looked and how he's never convinced me. Now, though, I'm reluctant to contribute anything, since I don't want to be identified with Beauty and the extremist slant of this thread.

Old
10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I don't want to be identified with Beauty
Members of Team Ugly, UNITE!

Old
10-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Captain Ron

I am on the fence on this one. I say that Sunday's performance from Labarbera was one of the worst I have seen from him since he signed with LA. I am still willing to give him a chance to secure the #1 goalie position. But I am a lot less convinced he has what it takes than I was in pre-season. Part of me thinks that keeping Bernier on the roster for the entire season is in the team's best interest. But then part of me remembers the Kings history with goalies and thinks that would be the worst thing to do. At this point Labarbera isn't making the decision any easier.

Closed Thread