Notices

Kurtis Foster

Old
09-21-2007, 04:25 PM
MCD009

vCash: 500
Kurtis Foster

Hi guys,

Habs fan here, and I have a question regarding Kurtis Foster....

I selected him as my last D in a fantasy draft, and I have a few questions for you, since I don't know him very much...

1- Will he be a regular on the PP?
2- What do you expect from him, points wise?

Thanks.

MCD009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2007, 04:34 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

If he isn't in the AHL by the beginning of the year, he should be by the end.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 01:34 AM
vitogor

I don't think he'll be in the AHL, but he'll probably see a fair share of press box during the season. He will play on PP however, and should probably get 25 points or so.

vitogor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 01:46 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I think we have better defensemen in the minor. He just...he's so freaking soft for being so tall.

Old
09-22-2007, 01:55 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
I think we have better defensemen in the minor. He just...he's so freaking soft for being so tall.
I don't know, I thought he was pretty good in the first game (as good as a D-man can be in a 6-1 beatdown, anyway). He threw a couple of heavy hits along the board, and overall wasn't the worst D on the team, that's for sure.

Just curious, who are those "better defensemen in the minors" that you speak of?

Old
09-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
I don't know, I thought he was pretty good in the first game (as good as a D-man can be in a 6-1 beatdown, anyway). He threw a couple of heavy hits along the board, and overall wasn't the worst D on the team, that's for sure.

Just curious, who are those "better defensemen in the minors" that you speak of?
Belle (ha! yeah right)
Stoner (......)
Reitz (....)
Stokes (argh!)

I think we're out of options

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
He played well last season until he was hurt - it seems he is playing well so far this season. Mayne he'll break out this year, who knows.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 12:58 PM
State of Hockey

1. When he plays, he should get ample PP time.
2. I have no idea. Could be as high as 30 points but as low as 20. It depends on his playing time.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 12:01 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Belle (ha! yeah right)
Stoner (......)
Reitz (....)
Stokes (argh!)

I think we're out of options
Stokes left for Chicago. Reitz, Stoner, and Scott could all make a nice 7th defenseman in a pinch. We already have enough soft defensemen (Nummelin, Skoula, Schultz, Johnsson) that we could use a solid defensive-defenseman in our lineup.

Old
09-23-2007, 01:30 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
Stokes left for Chicago. Reitz, Stoner, and Scott could all make a nice 7th defenseman in a pinch. We already have enough soft defensemen (Nummelin, Skoula, Schultz, Johnsson) that we could use a solid defensive-defenseman in our lineup.
Well, ya know, Reitz, Stoner, Scott - it's not exactly a group of gamebreakers there. While I agree with you that each one of them could probably be a #7 on the team this year, so can Foster and Nummelin. They bring different things to the table, but it's really a wash. I'm secretly pulling for Scott to make the team this year though, but I don't think it's gonna happen (JL: "He needs to get his skating to at least average"). And don't forget that we are getting Hill back after his suspension, so that will bring a little toughness and nastiness to the blueline.

And I don't agree that Schultz and Skoula are soft. You won't see them lay players out Scott Stevens style, but they don't shy away from physical stuff, and they are both pretty strong dudes. Skoula especially. Watch him battle along the boards, people just bounce off him like tennis balls. And he is not afraid to get a little stick and a little elbow in there for good measure.

Old
09-23-2007, 09:40 AM
deerhunt7

I really hope Reitz makes the team as the seventh defenseman. I thought he did pretty good when he has been in there. I thought he played much better than Belle.

I also don't think Schultz is soft at all.

deerhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post

And I don't agree that Schultz and Skoula are soft. You won't see them lay players out Scott Stevens style, but they don't shy away from physical stuff, and they are both pretty strong dudes. Skoula especially. Watch him battle along the boards, people just bounce off him like tennis balls. And he is not afraid to get a little stick and a little elbow in there for good measure.
Well said.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 04:54 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunt7 View Post
I really hope Reitz makes the team as the seventh defenseman. I thought he did pretty good when he has been in there. I thought he played much better than Belle.
I agree. Reitz may be ready for the 7th or 8th spot. His play was solid with the Aeros the last few seasons. I like his eagerness to hit and be physical. I didn't like it last year when his mistake cost us one game in Calgary shortly after he was called up ... But, I can't be
too down on the guy becaue I know that a defenseman has a much bigger learning curve than forwards do.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that Schultz is most certainly not going to be with the team next year. It might be time to let one of the Houston guys in.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 06:12 PM
deerhunt7

Why do you say that Schultz won't be with the team next year? I think the most likely defenseman to not be around would be Foster.

deerhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 10:27 PM
lavaltitans

Quote:
Why do you say that Schultz won't be with the team next year? I think the most likely defenseman to not be around would be Foster.

Nope, that would have to be Nummi.

lavaltitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 11:41 AM
The Big E

I gotta disagree with many of you. Foster is better than many of you think. He started out last year really well. He was throwing his weight around very effectively. However, he wasn't the same after his two injuries. If he's feeling good and it seems like he is, he'll be back to hitting hard. Add in his bomb from the point and he's gonna have a drastically better season than last year. He'll get some PP time and I expect him to get 25 points.

As for softies, yes, Johnsson and Skoula are soft. Nummelin is beyond soft. Schultz isn't soft, but he's not a huge dude. He's 6'1" 200 lbs and he's not very intimidating. But he never backs down and battles extremely hard.

Belle, Reitz and Stoner might come up if someone gets hurt, but I think we're set on our D corps. Scott is apparently a longs ways away from his NHL debut.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 05:17 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaltitans View Post
Nope, that would have to be Nummi.
Based on last year, Foster is just as likely.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
The Wild signed Schultz to a one year so he is available as a FA next year. The market will most likely put him out of the salary range that DR is willing to go. (eg. Mitchell). I would say this because I think Schultz has gotten a lot of attention around the league. ie. World Championships for Team Canada.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Souray44

Who will the PPQB's be on D. I really like Minnesotas offense potential and I need an extra d-man. I just picked up Foster but i'll drop him for whoever the PPQB will be.

Thanks.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 11:39 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
Who will the PPQB's be on D. I really like Minnesotas offense potential and I need an extra d-man. I just picked up Foster but i'll drop him for whoever the PPQB will be.

Thanks.
Last season Lemaire started out with Johnsson/Rolston & Foster/Nummelin on the point. Johnsson and Nummelin were the QBs. There were times when Foster & Rolston were paired and Johnsson & Nummelin. To add to the mix, Burns was on the PP by the end of the season and racking up some points.

My first game this season will be Sunday and I haven't listened to the games on the radio so I can only go on what JL was doing last season. Anyone seen any of the games?

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 03:00 PM
vitogor

By the way, Foster is out with a groin injury, and his return date is undetermined. Per Star Tribune

Old
09-28-2007, 05:11 PM
_h0sehead_
I hate 'quackers'

I was wondering the same thing about Foster, Funny how the Canadians tend to give him more credit than his own fans:
TSN Wild Fantasy Report
"Solid Selection"

_h0sehead_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _h0sehead_ View Post
I was wondering the same thing about Foster, Funny how the Canadians tend to give him more credit than his own fans:
TSN Wild Fantasy Report
"Solid Selection"

That's not just a Kurtis Foster phenomenon.

In Edmonton, many of us were not all that disappointed to see Ryan Smyth leave. If you listen to most people from any other city, we had the heart of our team ripped out and there is no way we can recover.

I guess fans outside the local market don't see a player enough to know the real story.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 12:38 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
That's not just a Kurtis Foster phenomenon.

In Edmonton, many of us were not all that disappointed to see Ryan Smyth leave. If you listen to most people from any other city, we had the heart of our team ripped out and there is no way we can recover.

I guess fans outside the local market don't see a player enough to know the real story.
Yep. Most fans of other teams view players (K. Foster in this example) by their stats and fantasy value. But we know this guy inside out, he won't fool us with his point total