HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick lie

Old
10-02-2007, 01:42 PM
XweekendwarriorX

vCash: 500
Stick lie

What does the lie on the stick have to do with anything? i havent payed to much attention to but im just curious to what it is and does for the stick.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
OilerNut*

It's the angle of the blade to the shaft. Most are around 5.5.

http://www.prolearning.com/hockey/questions004.htm

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
What does the lie on the stick have to do with anything? i havent payed to much attention to but im just curious to what it is and does for the stick.
Angle. With the stick of equal lengths and blade on the ice a 6 is more upright than a 5, the two most common lies IIRC.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
OilerNut*

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of a site that shows all the curves/lies? I remember coming across this one interactive site that allowed you to pick a lie, type of curve and it would show you the different sticks.

Old
10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Hugh Madbrough

www.modsquadhockey.com

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 04:52 PM
XweekendwarriorX

http://www.sheskateshard.com/misc/bladepatterns.html

try that

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Nosebleed Section

I don't think lie comes into play very much anymore on players sticks. I think with goalie sticks it's still a pretty big thing.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
I think it plays a big part in whether you're going to handle the puck well or not...especially if your lie is off when you bend at the knees. The puck has the ability to slide under your blade if the lie is off causing mishandles.

Best way to choose a stick...walk into a store with your skates on and crouch into your normal hockey position lol. Stickhandle a little and keep an eye on the bottom of your blade to ensure it is flat and flush to the floor for the most part.

I need a new stick as my Graf composite's lie is way off.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Quote:
I don't think lie comes into play very much anymore on players sticks. I think with goalie sticks it's still a pretty big thing.

I dont think so.....might not affect passes and as much but shooting and making moves yes. If it's too high then your not gonna be taking advtange of the full surface of your blade and the puck is just gonna slip under when you shoot. Deking too, too low of a lie, and you try a drag, it'll be tougher to pull off.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Nosebleed Section

I'm not saying it's not useful just that most companies dont seem to mark it on there sticks or anything, and like an above poster said its usually around the same lie all the time. Only sticks I've seen it marked on is Eastons.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:01 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojorisin View Post
I'm not saying it's not useful just that most companies dont seem to mark it on there sticks or anything, and like an above poster said its usually around the same lie all the time. Only sticks I've seen it marked on is Eastons.
Sherwood marks theirs. At least the wood ones.

Old
10-03-2007, 02:38 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
most companies mark their lie, but not all are based on the same measurement. BTW that sheskatehard site is inaccurate.

Lie is as important and possibly more important than stick flex, which is probably more important than actual curve. If you have the wrong lie you will most likely flutter pucks, miss a lot of passes and have a lot of pucks roll off your blade. Quick test is to check your tape for wear patterns.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 10:41 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
most companies mark their lie, but not all are based on the same measurement. BTW that sheskatehard site is inaccurate.

Lie is as important and possibly more important than stick flex, which is probably more important than actual curve. If you have the wrong lie you will most likely flutter pucks, miss a lot of passes and have a lot of pucks roll off your blade. Quick test is to check your tape for wear patterns.
Agree, I can get used to a different curve and deal with a stiffer flex. The one thing I have a very hard time with is the wrong lie. For example, if your lie is wrong and the toe of your blade is off the ice. You've in essence shortened the length of your blade. Not a good thing if you're someone who takes a lot of wrist shots.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote