HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

This sucks 3 surgeries + nerve damage

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2007, 10:42 PM
  #1
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
This sucks 3 surgeries + nerve damage

First I'd like to start by saying I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad for me...I know everyone heals differently and I guess I'm looking to hear some "comeback stories" to bring my spirits up.

If you don't mind and you were in a similar situation, I'd like to hear about it and how you battled back to the sport you love most. I'm feelin pretty down right about now as far as my chances.



Mine goes like this...(sorry in advance for the long post)

Had surgery to remove most of my meniscus at age 4. Mom said it was making a horrible clicking noise. (I think they should have left it the hell alone)

Despite this, I played since age 6 (roller hockey) and graduated to ice hockey.

I worked at a Rink from ages 19-23 and played dam near everyday and made the Division 1 team after 3 years (it helped that I worked there). Icing my knee after every game was absolutely necessary and I didn't mind.

Now at 29 years old I had an on the job injury back in Nov 06' that required a meniscal transplant from a cadaver...Like I said they should have left it alone since they are pretty much putting back what they took out. This surgery took place on April 16th 07'.

Then the meniscus came apart July 15th 07' and required repairs to restitch it back together and they performed a micro-fracture. During this surgery they "Accidentally" punctured the nerve with a needle that controls the "Up" motion of my left foot. Neurologist says it will take almost 9 months for the nerve to fully come back, but THANK GOD they didn't cut it. I cannot lift my foot up for the life of me.

From Age 23-Current I haven't played much since I stopped working at the rink but had planned on putting a team together right before this whole thing happened which just utterly pisses me off.

I just started PT last week and little by little I'm feeling better. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook on things but I can't help to think about the 'What Ifs"

All surgeries were performed at Hospital For Special Surgery in Manhattan, NY. (A well respected Hospital)

Has anyone had this procedure and resumed activity with little to no problems?

I'm just worried that when the day comes that I do get back on the ice, this thing will come apart and I'll be up ****'s creak. However, so far everything has been going smooth. (besides the nerve damage, of course)

TIA

P.S. if anyone knows a good malpractice lawyer, by all means shoot me a PM.

-Brian

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
  #2
Ducks
Registered User
 
Ducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Riverside, Calif.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Just work hard at that PT and don't give up. Have a strong mental outlook and you'll get where you want to go. Just look at the Lance Armstrong's and Magic Johnson's of the world. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:28 PM
  #3
lotus
Registered User
 
lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
I always hear good stories about people who work hard and are more importantly patient with their Physical Therapy. It's important not to try and rush back out there. But you can look to some hockey players who have had serious injuries and go on to play at the top of their game.

Try Saku Koivu for one.

Best of luck. Again your PT will be the most important factor in getting back on the Ice right now. It will take time but there's nothing you can do about it than try to go through it with a smile and the mindset that each day takes you closer to the sport you love. Confidence man!!

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:33 PM
  #4
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Thanks....I totally agree with the PT being the single most important part here and I walk in with a smile everyday. I Joke with all the therapists etc.

It's actually my favorite part of this process since I know it can only do me good.

I've done it in the past with excellent results and look forward to it every Mon Wed & Fri.

I feel better already, thanks again.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 10:06 AM
  #5
ShowmeHawks
 
ShowmeHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
You will play again. A knee brace might be a necessary piece of equipment in the future, but playing with a brace will be better than not playing at all. Keep your head up...Players have come back from a lot worse.

I p.m.ed you too.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 11:20 AM
  #6
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,082
vCash: 500
You'll bounce back. Watch your diet and the things you do to the knee and don't miss a day of rehab. If you think your rehab is going too slow, you could be right, but bring it up to your doc first. (Had this happen with an ACL surgery with my father, after 8 weeks he was still dealing with issues from week 2).

I know something will drive you to be more physical, but DO NOT do it and risk further injury. I know it's hard, I struggle everytime with an injury because I hate sitting still.

In the mean time, work on the things you can control... perhaps workout doing upper body stuff... work on your shoulders/triceps so you can move people around more. Remember that playing hockey is the sum of parts of the body and even if one area is hurt, there are many other places to improve.

Cheers man, good luck with the PT. DON'T MISS IT!

-Bryan

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 11:59 AM
  #7
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeHawks View Post
You will play again. A knee brace might be a necessary piece of equipment in the future, but playing with a brace will be better than not playing at all. Keep your head up...Players have come back from a lot worse.

I p.m.ed you too.
This is exactly what I've been thinking. I don't mind the brace at all considering I've been wearing a nice piece for the last 11 months.

Thanks again.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:06 PM
  #8
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctheory View Post
You'll bounce back. Watch your diet and the things you do to the knee and don't miss a day of rehab. If you think your rehab is going too slow, you could be right, but bring it up to your doc first. (Had this happen with an ACL surgery with my father, after 8 weeks he was still dealing with issues from week 2).

I know something will drive you to be more physical, but DO NOT do it and risk further injury. I know it's hard, I struggle everytime with an injury because I hate sitting still.

In the mean time, work on the things you can control... perhaps workout doing upper body stuff... work on your shoulders/triceps so you can move people around more. Remember that playing hockey is the sum of parts of the body and even if one area is hurt, there are many other places to improve.

Cheers man, good luck with the PT. DON'T MISS IT!

-Bryan
Thanks, this is a great piece of advice. Much appreciated!

If I do play again, rushing back to the ice is not something I want to do. I've set a goal for about a year from the day I feel 100% and if it turns out to be earlier, great.

Conditioning will be my number 1 goal, considering my quad on the affected knee has just deteriorated over time from not using it. Crazy stuff considering my legs used to be my strong point.

I'm not a big guy and would really like to get the upper body just as good my legs used to be.

Again...Thanks for the motivation.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:29 AM
  #9
jcblank
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
speed---i feel for you. i am in the same boat. had my transplant in june and as you have nerve damage. will find out next week if i need further surgery to help with the nerve pain. been out of work since surgery and just lost my job because i cant return. keep working on your rehab and hope for the best.

jcblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
  #10
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future
 
Burgmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orleans County
Country: United States
Posts: 4,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I always hear good stories about people who work hard and are more importantly patient with their Physical Therapy. It's important not to try and rush back out there. But you can look to some hockey players who have had serious injuries and go on to play at the top of their game.

Try Saku Koivu for one.

Best of luck. Again your PT will be the most important factor in getting back on the Ice right now. It will take time but there's nothing you can do about it than try to go through it with a smile and the mindset that each day takes you closer to the sport you love. Confidence man!!
You can also look to Phil Kessel and Jason Blake for strength. Best of luck in your PT.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:55 PM
  #11
Puck Farise
Fire Deboer
 
Puck Farise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,725
vCash: 500
I'm going through a big knee recovery now as well. Last April I tore my ACL, MCL, and both menisci of my left knee. I had the operation July 11th and was told it would be about a 6 month recovery for sports. They removed part of my lateral meniscus, and were able to repair the medial one...also took a graft from one of my hamstring tendons to replace the ACL. PT was ****ing torture for a while (until I got full range of motion back). Now I'm past the hard part and into the final stretch of getting all my muscle and strength back in the leg (I lost a ton of muscle...left leg above the knee is 2 inches smaller in circumference than the right now)

Basically all there is to say is just what everyone else has said... dedication and work. It's now been over 6 months without playing hockey, and I've got another 3 to go before I MIGHT be able to play. It absolutely sucks, but just know that you can come back, and you'll have a better appreciation for it when you do. My guy to look up to during all this has been Heatley. He basically destroyed his knee in that car wreck, and now has 2 back-to-back 50 goal seasons.

Oh, and for braces, CTI2 is probably the best knee brace you can get. Once my leg is back to it's normal size my surgeon is having me custom fitted for one. Though it's for knee instabilities (ACL/MCL/PCL weaknesses), so I'm not sure if that's what will be best for you...they do make a brace specifically for hockey though. It has slimmer parts to fit better underneath shin pads.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 03:48 AM
  #12
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Completely Frustrated...

Guys...Long post again, but just hear me out.

I wish I had some good news to pass along but unfortunately this has been more of a headache than anything else. I don't know if this surgeon doesn't know *** he is doing or if I am doing something wrong.


The reason I needed the 2nd surgery was the lateral meniscus came loose on the left side and was "bulging" out the left side of my knee.

Last week I noticed my leg felt like it was getting caught on something...(maybe sutures) and was preventing me from completely extending (straightening) my leg. It would literally get stuck, so I would stand up and give my leg a very, very, VERY minimal amount of force and it would kinda "snap" back into place. This would NOT hurt AT ALL.

Think of it more as a "cracking of the knuckles" for relief snap, and not a snap in a bad way. After it snapped into place all was well and I could go about my business. Remember...the snap does not hurt.

NOW...this happened twice in about a 4 day span and I brought it up to my Physical Therapist. She said not to lay on my left side as this was the position I'd be in right before it would happen. She said I was probably stretching the joint out.

Well here we go....that same thing happened last Tuesday and I was not able to straighten my left leg again. Only this time I couldn't get it to snap back into place cuz it was painful to straighten and the meniscus was clearly "bulging" out the left side of knee AGAIN and the more I tried to straighten, the more it would Bulge out.

I have pics if anyone has the stomach to see them.

I couldn't take the ***** no more and just let out tears of ABSOLUTE FRUSTRATION.

Because not only have I been super paranoid with it so I could possibly, one day play Hockey again, I may lose my job now because I may need another surgery, therefore putting me past my 365 day deadline to get back to work. I work for the city BTW...(Subway Conductor here in NYC)

It's been 11 months going thru this and as soon as I see improvements...BAM!! This ***** happens all over again. It's so frustrating and I have no idea *** to do anymore.

Does anyone think I should have them take the ***** out and just deal with the problems in the future? I know ultimately I will have to make the decision but...what would you do??

I was able to play before without this cadaver p.o.s meniscus. All I had to do was ice my dam knee after every game. Probably makes no sense considering its an on the job injury and they stuck this thing in there for a reason....


Ughhhhh my god....this is some straight bullsh*t!!

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 03:56 AM
  #13
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Forgot to mention that it eventually slipped back into place after about 2 hours of sitting on the computer searching. When I stood up it slipped into place with a very soft snap and didn't hurt either.

I dunno if thats a good thing or not. It hasn't happened again since (Thank God) but who's to say it won't happen again.

So I gotta get X-Rays, MRI's the whole 9 and take it from there. Hopefully it was just a scare, but I highly doubt it.

I have pain all the time now since this happened so theres a good chance another surgery is on the horizon.

Un-********** Believable. Sorry...just uberly upset about this.

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 04:20 AM
  #14
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
DISCLAIMER!! Sorry if this is too much to stomach for some of you...




These pictures were taken on Tuesday the 9th and is the same exact thing that happened July 15th which required me to undergo another surgery. It has since slipped back into place and I do not have the bulging anymore....for now.


In this one here with the knee bent you really don't see any protrusion...only slightly.
Attachment 25105



Here...things get alot worse as I start to extend the leg...
Attachment 25106



Here is another...doesn't that frickin suck??
Attachment 25107

Again...sorry if you clicked on the pics and were grossed out...I warned ya.

Anyone been thru anything similar??

-B


Last edited by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD: 12-19-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 08:02 AM
  #15
ShowmeHawks
 
ShowmeHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
B:

Good luck. That does not sound, or look, fun at all. I have never heard of the meniscus bulging like that. (I'm not a doctor or stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

I would suggest going to another doctor to get a second opinion, just in case the other doctor doesn't know what he's doing.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 09:47 AM
  #16
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Registered User
 
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeHawks View Post
B:

Good luck. That does not sound, or look, fun at all. I have never heard of the meniscus bulging like that. (I'm not a doctor or stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

I would suggest going to another doctor to get a second opinion, just in case the other doctor doesn't know what he's doing.
Thanks for the laugh bud...I needed that. I have an appt for a 2nd opinion later this week. Hopefully things work out for the better.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
  #17
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
Thanks for the laugh bud...I needed that. I have an appt for a 2nd opinion later this week. Hopefully things work out for the better.

-B
Hit another doc ASAP. Same thing happened with my father. 8 weeks into recovery he called to tell me he feels the same way he felt 3 days after surgery. A doc/PT change and now he thinks he's 18 again.

I'm sorry to hear about the news, but find another doc, get on it and get back to the road to recovery.

-Bryan

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 03:00 PM
  #18
the zamboni
Registered User
 
the zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
First I'd like to start by saying I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad for me...I know everyone heals differently and I guess I'm looking to hear some "comeback stories" to bring my spirits up.

If you don't mind and you were in a similar situation, I'd like to hear about it and how you battled back to the sport you love most. I'm feelin pretty down right about now as far as my chances.



Mine goes like this...(sorry in advance for the long post)

Had surgery to remove most of my meniscus at age 4. Mom said it was making a horrible clicking noise. (I think they should have left it the hell alone)

Despite this, I played since age 6 (roller hockey) and graduated to ice hockey.

I worked at a Rink from ages 19-23 and played dam near everyday and made the Division 1 team after 3 years (it helped that I worked there). Icing my knee after every game was absolutely necessary and I didn't mind.

Now at 29 years old I had an on the job injury back in Nov 06' that required a meniscal transplant from a cadaver...Like I said they should have left it alone since they are pretty much putting back what they took out. This surgery took place on April 16th 07'.

Then the meniscus came apart July 15th 07' and required repairs to restitch it back together and they performed a micro-fracture. During this surgery they "Accidentally" punctured the nerve with a needle that controls the "Up" motion of my left foot. Neurologist says it will take almost 9 months for the nerve to fully come back, but THANK GOD they didn't cut it. I cannot lift my foot up for the life of me.

From Age 23-Current I haven't played much since I stopped working at the rink but had planned on putting a team together right before this whole thing happened which just utterly pisses me off.

I just started PT last week and little by little I'm feeling better. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook on things but I can't help to think about the 'What Ifs"

All surgeries were performed at Hospital For Special Surgery in Manhattan, NY. (A well respected Hospital)

Has anyone had this procedure and resumed activity with little to no problems?

I'm just worried that when the day comes that I do get back on the ice, this thing will come apart and I'll be up ****'s creak. However, so far everything has been going smooth. (besides the nerve damage, of course)

TIA

P.S. if anyone knows a good malpractice lawyer, by all means shoot me a PM.

-Brian
Sorry to hear about your situation. I would seriously pursue legal action if I were you. You could probably get a nice chunk of money from the hospital. Of course, that won't help your injury at all, but you could probably afford some sweet equipment when you make your comeback. Just be positive, and keep working with your physical therapist. You'll be OK.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 03:24 PM
  #19
nni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,715
vCash: 500
HSS is tops only behind the mayo clinic for orthopedic surgery. I had two done there. good luck with everything. rehab is long, slow and hard.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.