HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Peca put on IR before playing game #1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2007, 11:48 PM
  #1
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
OT: Peca put on IR before playing game #1

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219775&hubname=nhl


Good move Sather......

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:48 PM
  #2
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
I was kinda into Peca as 3rd line C too. Good thing I'm not the GM

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:02 AM
  #3
ArtieAnisimov
 
ArtieAnisimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Thats why they had the physical before they even decide whether to sign him, after the physical everything stopped so I think Sather knew he wasn't worth it.

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:08 AM
  #4
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,835
vCash: 500
im man enough to admit it, i was a HUGE supporter of bringing in Peca, and i woulda been wrong, at least to start the year.

either way, i didnt expect dubinsky to play this well in the preseason, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:26 AM
  #5
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,439
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Inferno you get owned. You must bow down and apologize to the legions of Ranger fans that you argued with over Peca. Bow.

I shall bring you the salt later.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:30 AM
  #6
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
Inferno you get owned. You must bow down and apologize to the legions of Ranger fans that you argued with over Peca. Bow.

I shall bring you the salt later.

i will be holding a live press conference tomorrow at 2:00 pm streamed on my website. be sure to check it out, and let me know if my groveling is adequate.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:51 AM
  #7
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Oh yeah, I can hear it now--Sather: let's not sign this guy cause he's going to hurt his groin during training camp. Wow, Sather must really be haunting the psychic to have known that was going to happen. Too bad he didn't stick around and hear about Avery's little problem.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:04 AM
  #8
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,149
vCash: 873
.

I thought that Peca in this line-up this year would have solidified the team, and that still may be the case, if he ever actually suited up.

Good Job to Sather for not signing this guy.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:23 AM
  #9
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,432
vCash: 500
Man, Foote, Peca and Modin all to miss the season opener for CBJ after getting BS injurys like hamstring/groin problems after 3 weeks of TC. You don't get thoose types of injurys if you are well prepaired.

3 vets who are supposed to have great attitude, who are counted on to lead a very young team.

You gotta be extremely careful when it comes to bringing vets in. You can't really trust anyone.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 07:32 AM
  #10
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
bu...bu...but the rangers can't have dubinsky on the roster...don't u know youth can't be on a contender...bu bu but peca is a shutdown center...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 08:18 AM
  #11
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
bu...bu...but the rangers can't have dubinsky on the roster...don't u know youth can't be on a contender...bu bu but peca is a shutdown center...



I was waiting for this.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 08:27 AM
  #12
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,247
vCash: 500
Peca still may play in the opener...

it's a strained groin - wouldn't call it a problem just yet, just as I wouldn't say Jagr's hip is an issue.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
  #13
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue View Post
Thats why they had the physical before they even decide whether to sign him, after the physical everything stopped so I think Sather knew he wasn't worth it.
I wonder if the Rangers were just concerned about his conditioning level even if his repaired injuries looked ok.

I will say, anyone deciding to sign Peca can't assume they're getting an 82 game ironman. At this stage of his career, he's a guy who augments a roster, not rounds it out. If having Peca sit out your opener is a huge loss for a team, that team is in for one hell of a grind this year.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 08:40 AM
  #14
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Oh yeah, I can hear it now--Sather: let's not sign this guy cause he's going to hurt his groin during training camp. Wow, Sather must really be haunting the psychic to have known that was going to happen. Too bad he didn't stick around and hear about Avery's little problem.
yeah...it's not like he had a physical or anything...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
  #15
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I wonder if the Rangers were just concerned about his conditioning level even if his repaired injuries looked ok.

I will say, anyone deciding to sign Peca can't assume they're getting an 82 game ironman. At this stage of his career, he's a guy who augments a roster, not rounds it out. If having Peca sit out your opener is a huge loss for a team, that team is in for one hell of a grind this year.
exactly MJ, for 1.1 and the bonuses based on games played and the fact that even the pro-Peca crowd outright stated that the guy would miss time and not play 82 games shows that the expecations were in order.

I hope like hell that Dubi plays unreal this year and is the 3rd line center we need but it still doesn't change my mind that down the stretch and into the playoff run that Mike Peca will be an asset on a team like that in a 3rd line spot.

But I'm sure we'll see this debate continue at points throughout the yr but even though I was a big bring Peca in guy I hope like hell that Dubi siezes his opportunity and runs with it bigtime.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 08:57 AM
  #16
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
Peca on this team would have been a wreck. Lets got back to 2001

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 09:27 AM
  #17
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I wonder if the Rangers were just concerned about his conditioning level even if his repaired injuries looked ok.

I will say, anyone deciding to sign Peca can't assume they're getting an 82 game ironman. At this stage of his career, he's a guy who augments a roster, not rounds it out. If having Peca sit out your opener is a huge loss for a team, that team is in for one hell of a grind this year.
A team that is up against the cap AND had kids that can step in (which is EXACTLY what is happening) doesn't have a need for Peca...

The Rangers of the past would hand a veteren a spot and not expect him to play 82 games..thankfully the team learned from past mistakes.....certain fans have not though..which was clear in late August and it's clear by who i'm quoting...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 09:43 AM
  #18
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
A team that is up against the cap AND had kids that can step in (which is EXACTLY what is happening) doesn't have a need for Peca...
I remain indifferent to Peca. Obviously, I'd rather have Dubinsky or Anisimov in that spot, and obviously, there are monitary concerns at play. That said, the team has yet to play a single game, never mind become entrenched in heated battle for the playoffs, division or Stanley Cup. We won't know how the choice made for 3rd line center pans out until the games have been played.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
  #19
NYRJurgen88
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Wales
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
im man enough to admit it, i was a HUGE supporter of bringing in Peca, and i woulda been wrong, at least to start the year.

either way, i didnt expect dubinsky to play this well in the preseason, so that was a pleasant surprise.
im in the same boat as you inferno... i wanted Peca for the short term... good decision by Sather...

Hope Dubi can carry form on into regulare season...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
  #20
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I remain indifferent to Peca. Obviously, I'd rather have Dubinsky or Anisimov in that spot, and obviously, there are monitary concerns at play. That said, the team has yet to play a single game, never mind become entrenched in heated battle for the playoffs, division or Stanley Cup. We won't know how the choice made for 3rd line center pans out until the games have been played.
Even if Dubinsky doesn't work out the Rangers have other options

Dawes as lw with Avery and Callahan

Anisimov as center with Prucha and Callahan

Straka at center

Avery at center

not to mention Callahan was tried at center during camp...

the team also has a shutdown center here in drury....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 10:21 AM
  #21
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,863
vCash: 500
This thread is quickly approaching 1000 posts...


HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
  #22
tjs252
Registered User
 
tjs252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Good job Slats.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 11:05 AM
  #23
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's a strained groin - wouldn't call it a problem just yet, just as I wouldn't say Jagr's hip is an issue.
Peca missed nearly the entire pre-season.He got hurt on the 3rd day of camp.He didn't play in a single pre-season game.In fact,Peca hasn't played a game in 10 months

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.