HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

How long will Flash last as the first line RWer?

View Poll Results: How many games will Flash last as a 1st line RWer
5 games or less 2 4.55%
10 games 6 13.64%
20 games 18 40.91%
40 or more 18 40.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-02-2007, 08:10 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
How long will Flash last as the first line RWer?

Figured this would be an entertaing Poll, heh.

10-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

20 games, but I'd love to have Flash prove me wrong and can, say, 30.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Yeah I'm along the lines of 20 games but of course would love to have Flash really come into his own.

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Flash is going all the way.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I say he gets hurt before he gets demoted.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 09:03 PM
malyk

I think he'll stick as long as he isn't playing horribly. He doesn't even need to be putting up a ton of points. He's the best option there, especially if clark and third line is rockin.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
The Viking Fury

20 games before he hits a wall or is traded or something. Somethings gotta give once Eminger comes off the IR, and Green and Schultz probably won't be goners. This will be especially true if Flash is struggling early after taking a beating against top defenders and grind lines.

But obviously I'd love to see him stay, last the whole season and pot a lot of goals.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 09:16 PM
pga5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
20 games before he hits a wall or is traded or something. Somethings gotta give once Eminger comes off the IR, and Green and Schultz probably won't be goners. This will be especially true if Flash is struggling early after taking a beating against top defenders and grind lines.

But obviously I'd love to see him stay, last the whole season and pot a lot of goals.
If either of Schultz or Green falter, Eminger's back off the IR, and they are down at Hershey. Flash, on the other hand isn't reliable enough defensively to stick. Done in 20 games or less, although I hope I am wrong.
I'd like to see Fehr get over this back/hip thing, and come back strong.

pga5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 09:41 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

16 goals 45 assists

40 + games.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Flash is going all the way.
Go, Flash, Go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNUcpXKiNZo

As for the poll, I think they'll give him a long look unless the team gets off to a slow start. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved around during the course of a game.

Last edited by Cush: 10-02-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
He bulked up AND gets to play with Ovechkin. 40+. His biggest threat is oddly his center.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Atlas

Let's reason this out.

Flash has tons of skill. It's safe to say he has the skills to make it as an NHL 2nd liner at the very least. Does he skate well enough? Does he have the strength? Does he have the work ethic? Those are the big question marks.

The guy has worked hard ever since he's been in the Caps organization. He has been scratching at the NHL for the last two years. That tenacity is what it takes for a
2nd round pick to make the NHL.

So, worst case, Flash makes it as a 2nd line winger. If he plays with AO, Flash will have to rely on the center (V Koz, Nyls, or Backstrom) to play well. If AO's center sucks then Flash will have too many responsibilities; and he'll look bad out there. If he gets some space on the ice to create chances - and if he plays defense reasonably well - there is every reason to expect a 25 goal, 30 assist year out of the kid.

Go get em' Flash!

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:09 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Galt you may be onto something there. Hanlon will be screaming from the bench for Flash to get back some and play defense. I dont envision Kozlov being the strongest of defensive centers - he will be caught deep yelling in Russian PASS. That leaves Flash to cover up high somewhat - doing what he doesnt do... play defense.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Devil Dancer

Heh, this is an excellent question and I'm answering without reading any other responses. I said 20 games. Flash has shown flashes (sorry), but ultimately he has failed at the NHL level despite some decent opportunities.

I'm not saying he will NEVER work out as a top 6 prospect, I'm just not convinced that he will succeed at the start of the 07-08 season.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 11:56 PM
The Viking Fury

Tarik isn't drinking the Flash koolaid in his season preview. Says the caps are a first line RW and vet defenseman away from contending.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Galt you may be onto something there. Hanlon will be screaming from the bench for Flash to get back some and play defense. I dont envision Kozlov being the strongest of defensive centers - he will be caught deep yelling in Russian PASS. That leaves Flash to cover up high somewhat - doing what he doesnt do... play defense.

Hehe. Yeah, the good news is that Flash is a lot more creative than Chris Clark - but Flash doesn't play D like Chris Clark and he shouldn't be expected to. In fact, if the 1st line ends up being AO, V Koz, and Flash then the only guy playing defense will be Olie.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Jasper17

Wasn't Kris Beech our 2nd line center for more than 40 games last year? If he can make it that long, can't imagine why Flash can't.

I expect him to get his 40+ games, will he get the job done? That is another question.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
I give him till the trade deadline.....unless him AO and VK show great chemistry hes gone plus Eminger for a true 1RW for our playoff run by then

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Wasn't Kris Beech our 2nd line center for more than 40 games last year? If he can make it that long, can't imagine why Flash can't.

I expect him to get his 40+ games, will he get the job done? That is another question.
Beech only lasted around ten games until the (ugh) Klepis experiment took hold. Beech ended up playing somewhere around 40 games on the second line over the course of the entire year but he also went through stretches were he was on the fourth line or a healthy scratch. Obviously, expectations are different this year and there is a proven commodity in Clark that can take Flash's spot if he's not earning his place in the lineup.

The obstacle for Flash to remain on the top line 40 games into the season isn't just what Flash is doing himself over that stretch. It's possible that the Caps move Kozlov over to RW on Ovechkin's line after feeling comfortable enough to move Nylander up to center the first line and give Backstrom the second-line center spot. Plus, a lot will depend on the overall success of the team and the chemistry created on the top two lines. Even if Flash is playing pretty decent, Hanlon might be forced to shake up the lines and go with a different combination.

Odds are against him staying on the top line all season (or even until mid-season) but I'm pulling for him to make it. I think he's capable of putting up points on the top line but I'm less convinced that his play away from the puck at both ends of the ice and his strength are sufficient enough for him to take a firm hold of that spot. If Fleischmann does struggle at some point--which is probably inevitable--it'll be interesting to see how long of a leash Hanlon gives him and how patient he is with him. Given past experience, I tend to think Hanlon will put Clark back up on the top line pretty quickly if Fleischmann stumbles out of the gate. (Zednik lasted, what, one game on the top line to begin last season?)

The only way I see Hanlon being patient with Fleischmann is if the team is winning and he can afford to do so.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:35 PM
sk84fun_dc

The answer to that poll question specific to Fleischmann and the first line RW is dependent on the answers to the questions: 1) How long will Kozlov last as the first line center? and 2) How the second line plays to start the season? It is not just dependent on Fleischmann's performance.

There is also the longer-term question about what happens with Fehr, but that is not an issue at the moment with Fehr sidelined.

As Strung noted in the other thread, Fleischmann has plenty of motivation starting on the first line with the two-way, one year contract and the fact he will be RFA with arb rights next summer.

40+ games in a Caps jersey in the top 6, more assists than goals. Will those 40+ games be as the first line RW, doubt it, given the current 2 line combos.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote