HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers' first unit Scott-free...

Old
10-03-2007, 11:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
It's a long season.................................

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I see no reason to have Rozsival on the point during the powerplay over Straka, Ola. I'd rather have as much offense as possible. You have Drury and Straka who are both very reliable on the defensive end as well.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's a long season.................................
Its a really long season...

plus...

Brooks or Renney.....who has a better grasp on who should play in what situation and who shouldn't?

hmmm....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 11:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Its a really long season...

plus...

Brooks or Renney.....who has a better grasp on who should play in what situation and who shouldn't?

hmmm....
The NHL season begins when the baseball playoffs begin and the NHL season concludes the 2nd week of the 2008 baseball season.That's the way I look at it

6 1/2 months

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I see no reason to have Rozsival on the point during the powerplay over Straka, Ola. I'd rather have as much offense as possible. You have Drury and Straka who are both very reliable on the defensive end as well.
Because Roszival has a career's worth of experience of keeping the puck in at the blue line when confronted by forwards looking to hit a breakaway, and Straka and Drury are both forwards?

It doesn't matter how well they mark someone in the defensive zone, pinching/puck control at the point is a learned skill that by definition they don't have down nearly as well.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10032007...trangely_s.htm

Brooks laments Gomez not being on the first PP unit. This is something that may become an issue if not managed properly. There just isn't enough PP ice time to go around for everyone. My biggest thing is to keep the look the Rangers had last season. Look at Gomez - 23 assists last season on the PP. Look at Nylander - 23 assists on the PP last season. Look at Drury - 10 assists on the PP last season, but 17 goals. I dunno.

I do like two PP looks, but so long as the five best players at those positions are on the first PP. I don't believe in spreading the wealth. It's like having a machine that does many things well but nothing great. The first PP unit will get the majority of the ice time and needs to be the best cohesive unit with the best player at each positions starting with Jagr on the right. If that means Gomez in the middle being better than Drury, so be it. And if Gomez is in the middle and Drury's better than Prucha on the left, then so be it (unless Drury is better on the left point than Straka). There's many ways to spin it, but it's needs to be the best unit it can be.

It's no big deal, right now. Doesn't mean anything.

Renney has to do some experimenting and try different combos to see what works the best and gives this team the best balance and depth. This was expected.

At this point nothing is written in stone. Hell, Renney always tries out different combos.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:43 PM
HellsBells

Gomez should definitely be on the #1 PP unit IMO. He's such a good playmaker and can hold the puck perfectly to setup a PP. Drury, Shanahan and Jagr all like to shoot the puck so its not a good mix IMO. This is how it should look IMO and would make much more sense as well.

Shanahan - Gomez - Jagr
Straka - Roszival

Avery - Drury - Prucha
Mara - Girardi

EDIT: Also, I have a feeling the Gomez/Shanahan chemistry will be MUCH better than Drury/Jagr so it would not make sense to split Gomez and Shanny up for the PP units and it wouldn't make sense to have them on the 2nd unit either. Hopefully Renney will realize this.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
leetch2

Drury and Prucha both like to play in front/side of the net and are both RH shots, so they are redundant if they play up front. Jagr needs a left handed center to play on the goal line (like Nylander), and a right handed shot on the other side for the cross-ice pass. The 1st PP should be:

Jagr - Gomez - Prucha/Drury

Roszival - Straka/Drury

2nd:

Shanny - Avery - Prucha/Cally

Mara - Straka/Staal/Tyutin

leetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Greg in MA

Everyone seems to be forgetting that it's TOM FREAKIN RENNEY coaching the Rangers this year.

Gomez and Drury will be swapped all over the place to test line combos, and nothing is permanent at this point.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
They have 82 games to work out a system that works, I'm not worried.

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetch2 View Post
Drury and Prucha both like to play in front/side of the net and are both RH shots, so they are redundant if they play up front. Jagr needs a left handed center to play on the goal line (like Nylander), and a right handed shot on the other side for the cross-ice pass. The 1st PP should be:
This puzzled me to somewhat, how is planning on Jagr's unit setting up on the PP?`

Maybe they will go with a mirror of how JJ was used last season. IE, Drury in Jagrs role but on the left side, Prucha in Nylanders role (behind the net), and JJ infront of it.

That would be really interesting. If they can manage to feed Jagr on the far post he would have a shooting option, and 2 passing back options in Drury and Prucha.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 04:31 PM
eco's bones

I like the idea of two good units. Gomez to me should take on part of Nylander's shtick of bringing the puck up the ice and making plays. If Drury can be effective on the point that's great but almost always you should have at least one d-man out and the best as the moment is Roszival. It would be nice if we could work Tyutin in more on the pwp than we have. Whenever Jagr is out there that's when we should be most dangerous so the first unit should be built around him. There should be a good shooter or two for the second--maybe Shanny--maybe Drury--maybe them both.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 09:17 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

hmmm....
That's not really an argument that can be used regarding Renney. It was Renney that choose to have Jagr and Nylander on the ice instead of Betts and Ortmeyer with 7.7 seconds to go and a faceoff in their own zone. Not saying that Brooks knows more than Renney, but the latter has not shown good judgement when it comes to proper use (and placement) of his personnel.

As for the units, the one thing that makes me scratch my head is the stubborn continued useage of Straka at the point. It made no sense last year and continues to make no sense (if true).

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That's not really an argument that can be used regarding Renney. It was Renney that choose to have Jagr and Nylander on the ice instead of Betts and Ortmeyer with 7.7 seconds to go and a faceoff in their own zone. Not saying that Brooks knows more than Renney, but the latter has not shown good judgement when it comes to proper use (and placement) of his personnel.

As for the units, the one thing that makes me scratch my head is the stubborn continued useage of Straka at the point. It made no sense last year and continues to make no sense (if true).

I'd take Renney over Brooks anyday...Renney has his faults and I don't think he is as GREAT as coach as some think but this article was an early season hit job by Brooks...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote