HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "Jason Labarbera is a terrible Goaltender" thread!

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Randart

vCash: 500
Wow is it also a passage of rights on this blog site to string along with Squid? As I actually agree with him here! I was one of the hopefuls that JLB could be a good steady goalie for us for about half our games this season... What a terrible camp and preseason he has had! I am so sadly let down tis hard to reply to this thread. I don't want to see Cluuts back unless he makes a miraculous display in Manchester! So really the 3 goalie tag team is probably the teams best chance at a good season. I only hope its the best thing for our young super goalie prospect who just looks better every time out! I sure hope Crow and DL can figure this one out better than I can...

Old
10-01-2007, 10:43 PM
hackm

From an Aubin watcher and fan of his, I have a warning.

He is one of the rare goalies that plays better when tired; he suffers with rest. If he got starting minutes, he'd easily have a save percentage above .900. But not otherwise. He's not a backup goalie; every time he has been a backup goalie throughout his career he has put up bad numbers and every time he has been a starter he has put up average or above numbers.

Old
10-01-2007, 11:45 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Why would you laugh at that? It takes a lot of hard work and motivation to make it to that level, even if you are 27 years old and still in the AHL. Derek Armstrong didn't make it to the NHL as a regular until he was 30 years old. If he quit when he was 27, he never would've made it. He certainly put in more hard work and sacrifice to do that than most of us would. Unless you are a touring musician or in the military, I doubt either of us have ever put that level of commitment and sacrifice into anything.

maybe this is something to take into consideration when one ponders the thought of pillorying Dan Cloutier on the boards or in public on his own ice!

by the way, Derek Armstrong is a forward... that's apples and hand grenades.

Old
10-02-2007, 08:43 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick View Post
If it weren’t the defending Stanley Cup champs that they were playing on Sunday and the same team they embarrassed on Saturday, then I may have jumped on the “lynch LaBarbera” bandwagon as well. You know damn well that the Ducks were going to bring it on Sunday and it just happened that Labs & the rest of the team wasn’t quite ready for it. I’ll give him a couple of more games before I condemn him to Reading.
Thank you.

Old
10-02-2007, 09:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Kings have more questions than answers in net.

Their best goalie is a 19-year old goalie, but I have the sense that they'd rather send him back to juniors where he can be a dominant goalie.

However, no one else seems capable of shouldering the load.

Old
10-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Smoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Kings have more questions than answers in net.

Their best goalie is a 19-year old goalie, but I have the sense that they'd rather send him back to juniors where he can be a dominant goalie.

However, no one else seems capable of shouldering the load.
You make a valid point, but...
He did look/act dominate in net against Anaheim in his first NHL game, he played aggressively, played angles well, and I believe may very well be the quickest goalie in the NHL... Consistency could be an issue but he performed exceptionally well in preseason as well from what I've heard which would suggest he has no serious issues there.

Old
10-02-2007, 09:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked View Post
You make a valid point, but...
He did look/act dominate in net against Anaheim in his first NHL game, he played aggressively, played angles well, and I believe may very well be the quickest goalie in the NHL... Consistency could be an issue but he performed exceptionally well in preseason as well from what I've heard which would suggest he has no serious issues there.
I think the Jamie Storr project has made some people leery, which is why we're concerned about keeping a 19-year old goalie on the roster.

Old
10-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Kick

Its one thing for a 19 year old skater to make the jump from juniors to the NHL but a goaltender IMO would be a different story. How long would it be before the much greater physical aspect of the NHL game took its toll on him? These guys are a heck of a lot bigger and stronger than what he has faced in the Q.

Old
10-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
if the starter meant the game in london,
i couldn`t agree.

sure, lab wasn`t a superstar.
but if you had whatched the game, you could see that before the goal Lab gets maybe 100 rebounds and finaly one of them find the way into the goal.
in this game you should blame the wings and the defense.
in the both london games the wings don`t took a single look on the opponents blueliner.
they fired thousends of shots from the blueline and the crowd in front of the goal tried to get the stick on the puck. this makes it almost impossible for a goalie to save the puck.

and trust me, i`m a hockeygoalie for almost 10 years

Old
10-02-2007, 09:53 AM
ska5fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackm View Post

He is one of the rare goalies that plays better when tired; he suffers with rest. If he got starting minutes, he'd easily have a save percentage above .900. But not otherwise. He's not a backup goalie; every time he has been a backup goalie throughout his career he has put up bad numbers and every time he has been a starter he has put up average or above numbers.
Coming from a Leafs fan, I'll agree with this. Aubin is not a good backup, it scared me to watch him play last year, and the games he nearly (and sometimes did) blow for the Leafs.

Old
10-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadFan View Post
Members of Team Ugly, UNITE!
HA!

Quote of the thread hands down

Old
10-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Bump

Old
10-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Bump
Beauty is on a mission!

Old
10-03-2007, 06:43 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
I think it's from that shot he couldn't stop:

But from WHICH blue line was that shot???

Old
10-03-2007, 08:18 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Honestly, I a little surprised that this thread has remained open as long as it has. This'll be the end of my contribution to it.

Old
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Hey King Ludwig,

OT, but your avatar should be Plissken.

Old
10-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackm View Post

Felix Potvin?

Old
10-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
Honestly, I a little surprised that this thread has remained open as long as it has. This'll be the end of my contribution to it.
Why? Goodness knows our goalie position is by far the biggest subject for the rest of the year.

What other subject do we really have beyond "Do we have a goalie"... answer... "maybe."

Old
10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
vcx*

He loses 4-1 to the defending Stanley Cup champs and people are complaining? Give the guy a chance before you start he hate parade. At the 15 game mark (well when he starts 15 games), if he's still an atrocious goaltender, then you can start up the hate parade.

I have faith in the guy, i think he will be an NHL goaltender, as a back-up or a late bloomer as a starter. There are plenty of goaltenders that are mediocre to crappy at best when they first start out, as they learn the rope and start to learn things at their own learning curve and pace, they do pick up and get a lot better.

Old
10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
He loses 4-1 to the defending Stanley Cup champs and people are complaining? Give the guy a chance before you start he hate parade. At the 15 game mark (well when he starts 15 games), if he's still an atrocious goaltender, then you can start up the hate parade.

I have faith in the guy, i think he will be an NHL goaltender, as a back-up or a late bloomer as a starter. There are plenty of goaltenders that are mediocre to crappy at best when they first start out, as they learn the rope and start to learn things at their own learning curve and pace, they do pick up and get a lot better.
If he did lose to the defending Stanley Cup champions I might be inclined to agree with you. But the team he lost to was without Selanne, Niedermayer, Giguere, Penner and Pahlsson. That is the 2006-07 Ducks top scorer (Selanne), top defenseman (Niedermayer), top goalie (Giguere), 2nd best goal scorer (Penner) and one of their better defensive forwards (Pahlsson).

That team that the Kings lost to was not the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Old
10-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by hotwheels

If it would have been one game, fine. But he also gave 3 goals in first 3 minutes of the game in Austria. He's given up some soft goals in the preseason games. He got lit up in Colorado.

Old
10-03-2007, 01:53 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
If it would have been one game, fine. But he also gave 3 goals in first 3 minutes of the game in Austria. He's given up some soft goals in the preseason games. He got lit up in Colorado.
So instead of 1 game. It's based off of 3. I don't think he is the goalie saviour, but I don't think he can be ruled out as a credible tandem or back up based on these games.

Old
10-03-2007, 08:46 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
If he did lose to the defending Stanley Cup champions I might be inclined to agree with you. But the team he lost to was without Selanne, Niedermayer, Giguere, Penner and Pahlsson. That is the 2006-07 Ducks top scorer (Selanne), top defenseman (Niedermayer), top goalie (Giguere), 2nd best goal scorer (Penner) and one of their better defensive forwards (Pahlsson).

That team that the Kings lost to was not the defending Stanley Cup champions.
Anaheim is still a very strong team without those players, sure they lost Selanne but they gained Bertuzzi and the loss of Niedermayer might sting but they still carry a big Pronger on their blueline and losing Penner did suck with what went on with Lowe, but Getzlaf, Perry and a few others are ready to step up and show what they can do.

LA did add a lot of free agents, but it seems to me it was just to offset the bad season they had to just stock up on UFA's to make the fans feel happy. The depth on offense is there, defense i'm not going to fully comment on because i haven't seen the LA defense all that much, but you have a team where there are a lot of new faces and that takes some time to get used to.

Look at this way....when Bernier faced a veteran goaltender like Bryz he won his game, Lab faced off against Hiller and lost his, it was a back to back night of 2 young goalies stealing their games. People want to whine about Labarbera because Cloutier isn't there right now, you always need a whipping boy right?

I guess Labarbera fits the bill.

Old
10-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by icyfur
So instead of 1 game. It's based off of 3. I don't think he is the goalie saviour, but I don't think he can be ruled out as a credible tandem or back up based on these games.
Have you been watching or listening to the games?

Old
10-04-2007, 12:38 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I've griped about this before, but this has to be the only major sport in the US that seems to have a taboo about putting young players in the professional arena, even if they appear ready for it.

Closed Thread