HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

has Garry Bettmen done his job well?

View Poll Results: Has Bettmen done a good job while in charge of NHL
Yes he has done a great job and the game is better under him 1 1.23%
He has been ok and not much change 3 3.70%
I watch the game no matter what but he hasn't done a good job. 46 56.79%
Bettmen has ruined hockey and is terrible at marketing the sport 31 38.27%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
has Garry Bettmen done his job well?

I say no way he is terrible

Last edited by Dagoon44: 10-03-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: i am a idiot
Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:22 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

From a business perspective he has made the league more money and got the owners their salary cap. In that respect, he's done a good job. Although some of that increase in profit could be attributed to more teams (with obviously more gate revenue, local tv revenue, more merchandise, etc.), the rising Canadian dollar, rising ticket prices, amongst other things.

However, many of the changes he has made to the game have been awful. From his removal of much of the tradition of the game to make it more mainstream (which never worked), to his over expansion into markets that cannot and will not support a profitable hockey team are just some of the many blunders of Bettman.

The marketing of the game is terrible as well. No one knows what channel the NHL is on or when. No one knows who's playing in the finals either. The NHL is a marketing disaster all headed by Bettman. The NHL makes most of its money on a local basis and not a national basis and that is largely due to the league's marketing. The teams only market in their local area though local TV, radio, and other means. This is why the Rangers are marketed so well.
The versus deal has proven to be awful due to the lack of exposure. To give an unknown tv station exclusive cable TV rights was a bad idea. If you want to go on versus, at least give ESPN a cheap package for even one game a week or every other week. At least have the sport on ESPN even if it's not a prime sport.

Overall score 2 of 10. I wouldn't say he ruined the sport, but I can't say he's made it better. He has made a few changes for the better, but many for the worse.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 10-03-2007 at 01:30 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
zestystrat

Over expansion, iffy at best TV deals, this latest BS with the websites - you could go on and on but those are just off the top of my head. He's just not the right guy anymore.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I voted yes just to get u mad

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I'm not exactly a Bettman hater but how can anyone say he's done a good job? 2 lockouts under his watch, when prior to that the only thing that stopped hockey games from being played were influenza outbreaks.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I say no way he is terrible
I'm not sure what your agenda is. The answers are all loaded one way or the other.

I think he's done a bad job. I think he handled the lockout poorly. I think he does a bad job marketing the league. The fact that the NHL is on Versus is a disgrace.

That said, I really don't have a problem with the on-ice product.

10-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not sure what your agenda is. The answers are all loaded one way or the other.

I think he's done a bad job. I think he handled the lockout poorly. I think he does a bad job marketing the league. The fact that the NHL is on Versus is a disgrace.

That said, I really don't have a problem with the on-ice product.
The on ice product is ok and the game is fun to watch. But the marketing is bad and so is the image. I just feel Bettmen dropped the ball

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Fletch

I don't like Bettman....

I don't think he's done much to make the game better or improve it, and could've implemented better policies years ago (as in, calling penalties 10 years ago instead of two seasons ago) and I haven't been in love with his expansion. I just don't like the guy.

SBoB - the on-ice product seems to be getting better. My problem with it is we should've seen changes ten years ago. Specifically, why did it take a lockout for Bettman to realize there was too much clutching and grabbing in the league?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jeds2StepOpus

Bettmen has ruined hockey and is terrible at marketing the sport

But I still watch every Rangers game and tons of other games. Can't help it, I love the game.

But I will point outm that it's not just Gary Bettman. The Board Of Governers (The Owners) and players (NHLPA) are just as much responsible for this mess.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zestystrat

I think that the NHL is, at best, considered a secord teir sport has everything to do with GB what he has done in his tenure and little to do with the on-ice product

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

http://comoxvalleyart.wordpress.com/editorial/

This guy portrays Gary with a basketball head

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
SBoB - the on-ice product seems to be getting better. My problem with it is we should've seen changes ten years ago. Specifically, why did it take a lockout for Bettman to realize there was too much clutching and grabbing in the league?
I don't really have the answer to that. Why did it take baseball a century to realize that the Wild Card might improve the game.

I think Bettman's in a tough spot. His history with the NBA is/was an automatic strike agains him. He's has to walk the fine line of making the sport more marketable while still keeping the traditon and integrity of the game that the current, longterm, hard core fans happy.

Experimenting with removing the blueline and adding the shootout is one thing. Widening the nets is another. He's in a tough spot.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:10 PM
clmetsfan

Bettman's rule changes have been for the better IMO.

But it goes without saying that his marketing prowess is non-existent at best, and downright harmful at worst. Overexpansion has had a lasting negative effect, and the Versus deal has been crippling.

Bettman also showed his incompetence when he failed to rig the Sidney Crosby lottery. I'll still never forgive him for that one. Granted, things have worked out for both the Penguins and the Rangers, but how can a commissioner of a fledgling sport fail to rig a lottery to ensure that the biggest star of the past half century ends up in the league's biggest market? With Crosby on Broadway, the NHL would have gotten immeasurable exposure to media markets around the country. ESPN and Sports Illustrated would have been much much more likely to cover the sport, and TV Networks wouldn't be treating the NHL like an STD patient.

Bettman has been bad for the game.

Last edited by clmetsfan: 10-03-2007 at 02:22 PM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
I don't really have the answer to that. Why did it take baseball a century to realize that the Wild Card might improve the game.

I think Bettman's in a tough spot. His history with the NBA is/was an automatic strike agains him. He's has to walk the fine line of making the sport more marketable while still keeping the traditon and integrity of the game that the current, longterm, hard core fans happy.

Experimenting with removing the blueline and adding the shootout is one thing. Widening the nets is another. He's in a tough spot.
I don't think the baseball Wild Card and the clutching and grabbing in the NHL have anything to do with one another. The Wild Card was introduced to baseball at the perfect time and came at a time of expansion in the league. Baseball never suffered from not having the Wild Card.

The clutching and grabbing, on the other hand, was an on-ice issue that had been hampering the league's popularity for years.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:17 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I think there's a lot he could have done to prevent certain things from happening, such as the instigator, the no goalie zone, and needless things like changing the jerseys, but I don't think he's destroyed the game.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I love hockey, and the guys on the ice (in general) keep me watching. Bettman is just totally incompetent, meanwhile. But you can't just blame him, the problem lies deeper than that. Hockey's suits have been a farce for as long as I've been a fan: they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I don't think the baseball Wild Card and the clutching and grabbing in the NHL have anything to do with one another. The Wild Card was introduced to baseball at the perfect time and came at a time of expansion in the league. Baseball never suffered from not having the Wild Card.

The clutching and grabbing, on the other hand, was an on-ice issue that had been hampering the league's popularity for years.
My point is why did it take so long? You can say that baseball didn't suffer without the Wild Card. I don't neccesarily agree.

And I really don't think the league's popularity suffered due to clutching and grabbing.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:29 PM
In The Flesh

I hate that he hands the SC to to the winner, I hate em, he hasn't "ruined" hockey but he's done nothing good for it. I voted for the third one, cause I still love hockey.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:

I think he's done a bad job. I think he handled the lockout poorly. I think he does a bad job marketing the league. The fact that the NHL is on Versus is a disgrace.That said, I really don't have a problem with the on-ice product.
To true, way to true. VS. hockey down right blows. ESPN has to get it back, and I think it will. ESPN2 isn't showing nothing but pocker, horse racing, the spelling bee, and the nhrpa racing or some ****, that stuff can't get better ratings than hockey would. I think they'll got hockey back. Gary Thorn's coming back.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:41 PM
ogie

i have to say i never liked Bettman. I do not think he knows how to market hockey, and i think it is time he moved on and some fresh blood got in there. I therefore nominate Brett Hull as the new Commissioner of the NHL.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Stoney La Rock

I never was a fan of Bettman's. From the get go I didn't think he had a clear enough understanding of the sport or its fans to steer the league in the right direction, although I realize that he was brought in more from a business standpoint than anything else. I guess the CBA could be counted as one of his triumphs, although with all of the grumblings of late from the ownership, perhaps it didn't work out as well as they'd hoped. My sense is that any positive changes to the game that have occured under his tenure would have occured anyway, even if Mickey Mouse was the Commish. And the television coverage issues are still a nightmare.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
TheHotRock

remember that time when the NHL was ready to overtake the NBA as the #3 pro league in the USA and then bettman ****ed it up? that was a good time.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 03:14 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
remember that time when the NHL was ready to overtake the NBA as the #3 pro league in the USA and then bettman ****ed it up? that was a good time.
That was a long time ago. The game is more boring, too many teams, no tradition. Moving a team from Minnesota just to move one right back? It all represents screw ups on Bettman's part. Does Nashville or Atlanta really need a team more than Quebec or Winnipeg? Ratings are down, no games on ESPN, poker and ****-coddling gets better rating's than us. New jerseys no one likes, new rules that arent too popular. Hockey was a game of passion. Under Bettman that has all dissapeared and the true blue collar fans that have always been there have been annhilated.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Larry Melnyk

It's a business and all the NHL is about is increasing franchise value for resale...In that regard, I guess Bettman hasn't failed, but then again it was just a reflection of the economy and nothing done by Bettman..

The bottom line is that, depsie a golden opportunit Bettman has done little to improve the game and it's popularity and it has, in fact, slipped big time in popularitt and intersts among the sporting public...NOBODY really cares about the game..it is behind Poker, lawn jarts, Spelling Bees and even Rock-Paper-Scissors in Popularity.. It is the tinest of niches, mainly becasue Bettman has done absolutley nothing to improve/publicizie/televise the game for the general sporting fan...In addition, becasue of the work stoppages, it has slipped even further....Hell, when the "national" TV game on Saturday or Sundays is replaced by fishing and cooking shows in the mid-Atlantic states and the only national cable channel is some obscure channel nobody has ever heard of, something is really wrong..But the owners only care about franchise value which has improved becasue of the economical climate..Maybe in the next few years that will change and the owners will realize what an albatross Bettman has been and how much of an opportunity they mnissed

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 03:42 PM
The Thomas J.*

He sucks end of story, He has preceided over too prolonged work stopages, has allowed several franchises to go into beankrupcy, quite a few more are in trouble, he over expanded to the point where the leauge has become dilualted with sub-par talent to a certain extent. He allowed Canada to be robbed of several franchises. He allowed ESPN to walk away After the Lock out. Vs. SUCKS!

The only thing he has done that could be seen as a positve was insatlling the hard cap with High & low limits, That was only after the owners screwed things up so Badly that they had 2 be saved from them selves.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote