Notices

GDT: Calgary at Detroit 03/16/04

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 03:39 PM
HellsBells

vCash: 500
GDT: Calgary at Detroit 03/16/04

The Flames and Wings are both hot, which team will cool down tonight ??

The Wings are 3-0 vs. the Flames this year, outscoring Calgary 7-2.

With Gelinas back in the lineup and the Flames playing Detroit, Oliwa may sit this one out (Simon, Regehr, Clark can take care of McCarty). Who gets the nod in nets ?? the #1 Kipper or the #2 Turek coming off a shutout.

Simon - Conroy - Iginla
Niemenen - Nilson - Donovan
Gelinas - Yelle - Clark
Saprykin - Lombardi - Kobasew

Regehr - Leopold
Gauthier - Warrener
Lydman - Ference

Kiprusoff
Turek

Old
03-16-2004, 03:41 PM
HellsBells

I say 3-2 Flames.

Calgary - Iginla (2), Donovan
Detroit - Zetterberg, Hull

Old
03-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
I say 3-2 Flames.

Calgary - Iginla (2), Donovan
Detroit - Zetterberg, Hull

4-3 Flames.......Conroy, Simon, Iginla and Nillson
Shanahan, Holmstrom and Lidstrom.

Flyer's fan who loves Calgary. Playing ball this year Garfield??

Old
03-16-2004, 04:46 PM
kruezer

I hope Calgary can pull this one out. I'll go with 3-2 in OT for the Flames.

Hey Garfield, I assume your lines will go tonight (well maybe Oliwa), but what about having Gel with Lombo and Kob and move Saprykin up a line? I would really like Gelinas out there to steady that line.

Old
03-16-2004, 09:13 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
3-0 Flames so far! Detroit is out shooting the Flames too. Looks like the game against Boston awhile back.
Montador is in. Who's not playing?

Old
03-16-2004, 09:33 PM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
3-0 Flames so far! Detroit is out shooting the Flames too. Looks like the game against Boston awhile back.
Montador is in. Who's not playing?
Seems Lydman isn't playing...dunno why though :S

Old
03-16-2004, 10:02 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Lydman has an upper body injury that isn't serious.

A big 4-1 win for the flames. All 4 lines played well and Kipper was solid in net. A great win and hopefully the Blues can lose tonight to give us a bit more of a comfortable lead.

Old
03-16-2004, 10:38 PM
ForeignFlame

Huge win for the Flames.

Way to go boys!

Old
03-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Wow. What a game tonight. This team just doesn't surprise me anymore. I feel confident going into every game that we have a really good chance of winning. Things are looking mighty good. Keep up the good work boys!!!!

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
03-17-2004, 01:31 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Yeah they looked good from the start. Maybe Detroit was flat-footed or something but they definitely didn't play their game. Calgary's offense was rolling from the start, and it showed as at least 3 lines scored. They looked good, Kipper was solid as usual, and despite missing Lydman they didn't look out of place defensively at all. Montador even scored. I just love this team right now. Oliwa can't be in the lineup forever so i hope Saprykin seems some action soon.

Old
03-17-2004, 09:19 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
4-3 Flames.......Conroy, Simon, Iginla and Nillson
Shanahan, Holmstrom and Lidstrom.

Flyer's fan who loves Calgary. Playing ball this year Garfield??
Yes, I sure am........you ?? What league do you play in ??

BIG WIN BOYS !!

Old
03-17-2004, 03:42 PM
KingofSpain

So I was at the game and was very happy the Flames got the win. They deserved it by outplaying the Wings. It reminded me of their last meeting where Calgary controlled the game but lost 2-1. This time we got the bounces.

The team's speed really killed the geriatrics. This is the same reason I don't think Simon fits in with the team. He's just so slow and did nothing productive offensively. He was more of a hindrance to the line. He made a few hits but that was all. I realize part of his job is to protect Iggy but why play him against a soft team like Detroit? Saprykin could have done better last night.

Old
03-17-2004, 04:55 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
Yeah they looked good from the start. Maybe Detroit was flat-footed or something but they definitely didn't play their game. Calgary's offense was rolling from the start, and it showed as at least 3 lines scored. They looked good, Kipper was solid as usual, and despite missing Lydman they didn't look out of place defensively at all. Montador even scored. I just love this team right now. Oliwa can't be in the lineup forever so i hope Saprykin seems some action soon.
of course McAmmond is trying to squeeze his way back in also. Mcammond lombardi kobasew. Nice "4th" line

Old
03-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Demon
This is the same reason I don't think Simon fits in with the team. He's just so slow and did nothing productive offensively. He was more of a hindrance to the line. He made a few hits but that was all. I realize part of his job is to protect Iggy but why play him against a soft team like Detroit?
Simon's role is definitely not limited to enforcing for Iggy and Conroy. He's on that line to create room for them. His role is to dominate along the boards and in front of the net. His role is to crash the net. His role is to draw several defenders to him and then dish it off to the open man. He creates room because of his size and strength. It's generally going to take more than your one of your averaged sized player to be able to knock him off the puck. Just the fact he stands in front of the net and is hard to move means that defenders will be drawn to him and the ice will open up for Jarome. And if they don't respect Simon then Conroy and Iginla have enough skill to get him the puck in a scoring position. The things he does aren't as noticeable unless you're specifically looking for them or concentrating on watching him. For the Rangers he was a tough guy but for us he's a top two line powerforward. Obviously part of that is intimidating the other team and letting them know they won't be able to take liberties with Jarome but I don't expect him to fight much. Oliwa is our dedicated pugilist.

I have been impressed by Simon's passing, he makes quick decisions with the puck in the neutral zone and advances it to the faster Iginla and Conroy. His shot release is quite good and that is backed up by his goal totals this year even though he played more of the tough guy role in New York.

I believe I heard someone (Robb Kerr maybe?) say that Sutter thought Simon was the best player on the ice in the first two games he played.

He will never fly around the ice like Donovan does. I think his conditioning could probably be improved to allow him to play an even higher tempo game and hopefully he shows that later this year or even in future seasons if we can re-sign him. Personally I think he already looks like he's a little more comfortable with our high tempo aggressive forechecking style. And I definitely think that the opposition hasn't been as able to key on Jarome and shut him down since we brought in Simon. Iggy looks like he's enjoying a little more open ice to me.

Old
03-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
His role is to draw several defenders to him and then dish it off to the open man. He creates room because of his size and strength. It's generally going to take more than your one of your averaged sized player to be able to knock him off the puck.
During the Colorado game, he was on the PP, and the Avs had the Blake-Skrastins tandem (not exactly a couple of slouches) on the PK. They looked totally confused. This could be a sign of things to come...

Old
03-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
i was at the game the other night, have to say i really liked what you guys have done with that team. There good defensively suprisingly to me i didnt think they were gonna be that good. Phaneuf next year for your defense will be sick, if you guys can have kipper do next year when he did this year and get another good scorer you guys will definitly be contenders again next year... great work, flames earned my respect

Closed Thread