HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Syracuse Crunch/Elmira Jackals/Youngstown Steelhounds 2007-2008 thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2007, 02:37 PM
  #26
PerfectTommy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 8th dimension
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Crunch fan View Post
I'm blanking on the name but there was a headcase goalie that went to Elmira instead of Dayton 3 or so years ago. Someone will remember what his name was I'm sure.
I believe Andrew Penner spent some time in Elmira. Was the headcase goalie you were thinking of Shane Bendera?

PerfectTommy is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 02:50 PM
  #27
Syracuse Crunch fan
Registered User
 
Syracuse Crunch fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTommy View Post
I believe Andrew Penner spent some time in Elmira. Was the headcase goalie you were thinking of Shane Bendera?
Yes. Bendera was the one I was thinking of. Thanks, that was bugging me.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:11 PM
  #28
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,940
vCash: 500
its Elmira now. seems stupid to me. would have made much more sense to keep it in Dayton and bring the ahl team to Ohio. but hey, what do i know. i just think it makes more sense, in every way you can think of, to have your minor league teams in regions near your nhl team.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
  #29
Rollercoast20
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rollercoast20 Send a message via Yahoo to Rollercoast20
Blue Jackets New Affliation

Well the Blue Jackets have moved their ECHL affliation from Dayton to Elmira. How stupid are they? I seriously hope this bites them in the ass! I, as a Bombers fan, am reconsidering coming to any games this year. This makes me soo f**king mad!

Rollercoast20 is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
  #30
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa
 
kidAcbj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CBUS
Country: United States
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
heres the article about it

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/...ticleid=339149
Quote:
COLUMBUS, OHIO Ė Columbus Blue Jackets General Manager Scott Howson announced today that the club has reached an agreement with the Elmira Jackals to serve as the ECHL affiliate for the Blue Jackets and the American Hockey League's Syracuse Crunch for the 2007-08 season.

"We are very pleased to have the Elmira Jackals as our ECHL affiliate," said Howson. "The foundation of any successful franchise is the development of its young players and we think this relationship will be a very positive one for our organization."

Elmira, which joined the ECHL this season after spending the past six years in the United Hockey League, was the Blue Jackets' UHL affiliate from 2000-04. Columbus had been affiliated with the ECHLís Dayton Bombers since the inaugural 2000-01 season.

"The Blue Jackets enjoyed a very good relationship with the Bombers," said Howson. "However, we think the close proximity of Elmira to our AHL affiliate in Syracuse will be a tremendous benefit for both those clubs and an asset to our efforts to develop players at the minor professional level."

kidAcbj is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
  #31
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa
 
kidAcbj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CBUS
Country: United States
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
just posted about this in the Syracuse Crunch thread

heres the article...

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/...ticleid=339149

Quote:
COLUMBUS, OHIO Ė Columbus Blue Jackets General Manager Scott Howson announced today that the club has reached an agreement with the Elmira Jackals to serve as the ECHL affiliate for the Blue Jackets and the American Hockey League's Syracuse Crunch for the 2007-08 season.

"We are very pleased to have the Elmira Jackals as our ECHL affiliate," said Howson. "The foundation of any successful franchise is the development of its young players and we think this relationship will be a very positive one for our organization."

Elmira, which joined the ECHL this season after spending the past six years in the United Hockey League, was the Blue Jackets' UHL affiliate from 2000-04. Columbus had been affiliated with the ECHLís Dayton Bombers since the inaugural 2000-01 season.

"The Blue Jackets enjoyed a very good relationship with the Bombers," said Howson. "However, we think the close proximity of Elmira to our AHL affiliate in Syracuse will be a tremendous benefit for both those clubs and an asset to our efforts to develop players at the minor professional level."

kidAcbj is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
  #32
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Already being discussed in the Crunch thread.

Mods- maybe you could rename the Crunch thread to

"Blue Jackets Minor League Affiliate Thread"

There are SO many new threads everyday about topics we are already discussing.

Macster is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
  #33
Rollercoast20
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rollercoast20 Send a message via Yahoo to Rollercoast20
I know it might sound stupid but it will be very hard for me to wear my blue jackets jerseys for awhile or buy blue jackets merchandise. I feel like we have been kicked to the curb.

I don't want to be affliated with any other NHL team. I loved being affliated with my favorite NHL team. I certainly know that Elmira fans aren't blue jacket fans.

Rollercoast20 is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:30 PM
  #34
Rollercoast20
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rollercoast20 Send a message via Yahoo to Rollercoast20
I am soo happy that we are not affliated with the blood-sucking Syracuse organization. But I am certainly pi**ed off that we are not affliated with the Blue Jackets.

Rollercoast20 is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
  #35
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
See- I called it earlier. Elmira's closer to Syracuse.

Driesen- It does make more sense. It's also a hell of a lot easier to affiliate yourself with an ECHL team rather than an AHL team, so simply affiliating with Lake Erie isn't so simple.

Also, in terms of league to league traffic, the AHL and ECHL have more than NHL-AHL.

Macster is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
  #36
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollercoast20 View Post
I am soo happy that we are not affliated with the blood-sucking Syracuse organization. But I am certainly pi**ed off that we are not affliated with the Blue Jackets.
Can i ask why you call the Syracuse organization "blood sucking"?

Is it because they call up Dayton players? It's because Crunch players are called up by the Jackets.

So, if you think Syracuse is blood sucking, so is Columbus.

Macster is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:34 PM
  #37
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
See- I called it earlier. Elmira's closer to Syracuse.

Driesen- It does make more sense. It's also a hell of a lot easier to affiliate yourself with an ECHL team rather than an AHL team, so simply affiliating with Lake Erie isn't so simple.

Also, in terms of league to league traffic, the AHL and ECHL have more than NHL-AHL.
i know. but a team in Ohio will be available in the very near future imo. would have just been better to keep the team in Dayton and move the ahl team when that happens. knowing nothing about elmyra, i find it hard to believe they will be as good of an organization as Dayton was for Columbus. we shall see.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:35 PM
  #38
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollercoast20 View Post
I know it might sound stupid but it will be very hard for me to wear my blue jackets jerseys for awhile or buy blue jackets merchandise. I feel like we have been kicked to the curb.

I don't want to be affliated with any other NHL team. I loved being affliated with my favorite NHL team. I certainly know that Elmira fans aren't blue jacket fans.
I agree, what a stupid move. Why not move the AHL affiliate to Cleveland if they want close proximity!? Then all 3 teams would be in the same state.

Paisano* is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:37 PM
  #39
Rollercoast20
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rollercoast20 Send a message via Yahoo to Rollercoast20
I called them "blood-sucking" because for many years they would call up our players or goalies (which I am absolutely fine with, it is part of being a minor league team), but I would then find out they weren't even playing them. It really ticked me off from 2002-2006 when we really could have used those players.

Rollercoast20 is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:40 PM
  #40
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
i know. but a team in Ohio will be available in the very near future imo. would have just been better to keep the team in Dayton and move the ahl team when that happens. knowing nothing about elmyra, i find it hard to believe they will be as good of an organization as Dayton was for Columbus. we shall see.
I think you are making it seem like it's no big deal to "just move" an AHL franchise.

You say a team would be available soon in Ohio- where would that be? Cleveland is with Colorado and Cincy proved with the Rail Raiders that it isn't a viable market.

Out of curiosity, not that I'm disagreeing, but what was so great about having Dayton as an affiliate, knowing everybody sent there goes through Syracuse anyway?

Macster is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
  #41
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,389
vCash: 500
I gave up a long time ago trying to figure all that out, with the Clippers being an affiliate of the Nationals and before then with the Yankee's.

Didn't read the other thread, but I guess there's some business reason behind it. Sorry you feel kicked to the curb. I'll have to read the other thread to get more details before I pass judgement, however.

blahblah is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
  #42
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollercoast20 View Post
I called them "blood-sucking" because for many years they would call up our players or goalies (which I am absolutely fine with, it is part of being a minor league team), but I would then find out they weren't even playing them. It really ticked me off from 2002-2006 when we really could have used those players.
Being the low end of the affiliation totem pole licks gooch but it's the way it is. You can't hate a team higher up the pole for calling up your players. It's the nature of affiliations. Just because a guy who gets called up doesn't play, doesn't mean that he isn't occupying a position.

It's the same thing when Crunch fans give Columbus hell for "letting guys get injured and taking all of our best players".

Really lame in my opinion. It's the nature of the beast.

Macster is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:44 PM
  #43
Rollercoast20
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rollercoast20 Send a message via Yahoo to Rollercoast20
I think the reason Ohio State and the Cincinnati Reds have so many fans in the Dayton area is because they want us as fans. Ohio State recruits heavily down here, (I went to school and graduated with A.J. Hawk), and the Reds have a minor league team in Dayton and have the Reds Caravan come up to Dayton. Plus the Reds advertise in Dayton.

Dayton has very very passionate hockey fans, which I believe they just ignored. Very bad business strategy.

Rollercoast20 is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:46 PM
  #44
Rollercoast20
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rollercoast20 Send a message via Yahoo to Rollercoast20
One organization that I have heard that treats it's affliates great is the New Jersey organization.

Rollercoast20 is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:47 PM
  #45
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollercoast20 View Post
I think the reason Ohio State and the Cincinnati Reds have so many fans in the Dayton area is because they want us as fans. Ohio State recruits heavily down here, (I went to school and graduated with A.J. Hawk), and the Reds have a minor league team in Dayton and have the Reds Caravan come up to Dayton. Plus the Reds advertise in Dayton.

Dayton has very very passionate hockey fans, which I believe they just ignored. Very bad business strategy.
They clearly analyzed the situation, and it's obvious the CBJ brass think the money and resources saved from having their affiliates closer, combined with the fact that Elmira is an exciting young franchise making its first foray into the E, outweighs having passionate fans in Dayton.

Macster is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
  #46
Rollercoast20
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dayton, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rollercoast20 Send a message via Yahoo to Rollercoast20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Elmira is an exciting young franchise making its first foray into the E.
What does that have anything to do with switching affliations?

Sorry if I am sounding angry, but I just need to vent!

Rollercoast20 is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 04:09 PM
  #47
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollercoast20 View Post
What does that have anything to do with switching affliations?

Sorry if I am sounding angry, but I just need to vent!
1) You only highlighted one point I made.

2) There is clearly a buzz over the team moving to the E. It is a fresh start for the club, new league, new jersey/logo, new affiliation, etc.

Go ahead and vent dude, by all means you're entitled, but I don't think it's fair to "blame" any team for the change. Business is business.

Out of curiosity- do you know if Dayton will be Independent this year, or is there any scuttlebutt as to a last minute affiliation with another team?

Macster is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
  #48
CBJorBust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
I hate to break up the whole Dayton thing.... but u cant be serious with

MacKenzie - Beech - Starkov as a 4th line. Beech is an AHL sniper and does not belong on the 4th line, he should be second line center. Mackenzie should prolly be third.... but when Dupuis gets rolling he is good so they can battle it out. But the Konopka, Lindstrom, Glengross line last year was on fire... id assume they hook that line back up. The Picard, Platt, Lindstrom line was also very good. The Crunch look good... I thank Columbus for that.

CBJorBust is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
  #49
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
You say a team would be available soon in Ohio- where would that be? Cleveland is with Colorado and Cincy proved with the Rail Raiders that it isn't a viable market.
Not to speak for him, but I believe Colorado's contract is up next year, and so is ours with Syracuse. I'm assuming that's where the notion came from that maybe there was a chance.

I am definitely bummed that this all but rules out the notion that we could see more of our prospects in Ohio, but I'm sure it was a business decision, and at least the Jackets sure as heck aren't going anywhere.

Casework is offline  
Old
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
  #50
CBJorBust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Were did u hear that the Devils are a good parent team? lol! They may be the worst! The Bluejackets r a very good parent team... the Rangers, Capitals, Thrashers, and Canucks r good as well.

CBJorBust is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.