HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Just Got New Skates

Old
10-05-2007, 01:24 AM
fourofakindfowl

vCash: 500
Just Got New Skates

I just got a pair of Bauer Vapor Shift skates, and I tried them out for the first time in a game, and during the warm up I was slipping and falling all over the place. They were very stiff, but the blades seemed to slide all over the ice and not edge into the ice like skates are supposed to. So during the warm up I went and changed to my old skates and I did fine in the game (if I had not of changed skates I wouldve played like a newb). Does anyone own these skates? Do they get better over time? My plan is to break them in over winter when I can get some skating in during a non-game situation, but when I wore them they felt terrible and I feel really worried because I just blew about 400 bucks on them.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 01:52 AM
cstu

Sounds like you might've just gotten a bad sharpening.

cstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:03 AM
windflare

Wait, DID you sharpen them? We all forget stuff sometimes.

If not, then it's bad sharpening.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 09:20 AM
fourofakindfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Wait, DID you sharpen them? We all forget stuff sometimes.

If not, then it's bad sharpening.
The guy at the store (Just Hockey) I got them from sharpened them.

Old
10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
FiveThreeEmptyNet

Just Hockey

Are you in Florida? The guy that owns Just Hockey played backup goaltender for much of his career and the joke is that he spent most of his time sharpening skates! I don't think he would have whiffed on a sharpening.

I'm actually trying to get my skates in to him before my next game.

FiveThreeEmptyNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Were they laced up tight? If I don't have my skates laced properly I lose edges. Did you feel the blades to make sure they were sharpened properly?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 12:59 PM
ShowmeHawks

I got a pair of vapors too. I had the same problem with you the first one or two times that I skated. They will get better the more you break them in.

I can't explain why the blade slips at first, but I know it stopped happening after skating with them a few times.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 12:10 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
Well make sure they fit you properly cause if the boot isn't for you, it'll contribute to your problems. Also compare holders, as they might be different than your old skates and will have a different feel/lean, etc. And also check your sharpening as some suggested....the guy might have sharpened them BUT new skates require an extra long sharpening to get a good grind in.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 11:44 AM
BaconStrips

I skated last night for the first time in awhile. However, I was on new goalie skates. It was the first time I had skated in a couple years (I do play inline goal regularly) and the first time I had skated on goalie skates in 6 or 7 years. I slipped out of my edge a couple times. They were new skates and I am almost positive the sharpening job was not the greatest. The fact that they were goalie skates didn't help matters. I felt odd for about 15 minutes then got back into it. Summary: It is probably because they are new skates and the sharpening didn't take, skate on them again then get them resharpened.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 12:46 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

With new skates you just have to be patient. Every new pair I have ever had has caused discomfort in some way for the first bunch of times I skated. Give it time, they will break in and/or you will get used to them...
Don't get discouraged....my pair of Nike/Bauer inlines felt terrible for almost 10 skates, but now they feel great.

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 02:07 PM
fourofakindfowl

Thanks guys.