HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

whats the possibilities?

Old
10-06-2007, 03:51 AM
CaNucK10

vCash: 500
whats the possibilities?

whats the possibilities of a 13-14 year old kid making it to the NHL with no ice hockey exp, no league exp, pretty much nothing but sick stick handling and the ability to skate but not stop,skate backwards?(i really wanna see these opinions)

CaNucK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNucK10 View Post
whats the possibilities of a 13-14 year old kid making it to the NHL with no ice hockey exp, no league exp, pretty much nothing but sick stick handling and the ability to skate but not stop,skate backwards?(i really wanna see these opinions)
They are almost 0 if he's a phenomenal athlete. If she's not, they are 0.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

It's not imposible but it is gonna be hard, jus work your ass off, that is the best advice i can give you.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Trepanated

Statistically speaking, the odds of such a kid making the NHL on merit are about the same as the odds that he will win the lottery enough times to buy a franchise outright, and force the coaching staff to put him in the lineup.

Trepanated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 11:17 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Jovo started at 14.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:03 PM
MikeD

Quote:
I would put your odds at about 4,373,271 to 1 With some serious skilled coaching and the heart/drive to get there.....around 120,000 to 1

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Ducks

You should play hockey because it's fun, not to get into the NHL someday.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
Jovo started at 14.

I thought it was 11.

And the odds are still against someone at that age, even if they're a natural athlete whom nature has blessed. Hell, if you're not a natural athlete at age 4, you're pretty much screwed.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:32 PM
CaNucK10

lol haha

Old
10-06-2007, 03:01 PM
brother52

I would say zero. Alexei Morozov (arguably the best player in Russia, played in NHL as well) was asked a similar question recently. He basically said that for a pro career you have to become good before 12, because of how human mind and body grow and work.

There're a few players who started to train pro late (like Fetisov, who's been accepted to a hockey school at 11.) But that's not 14, and they all skated and played before, even if on an outdoor rink.

brother52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:48 AM
BaconStrips

The hardest part will be the skating. It will take one or two years before it becomes fluid and natural to be on the ice. By this time you are 16, and have missed the boat for being drafted (you would already have been scouted by someone at 14). You could always walk onto an ECHL or some such and work your way up.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 12:26 PM
LilWinger11

I'd agree with whoever said not to start hockey with the goal of playing in the NHL. Your odds of making it starting as a teenager are incredibly slim, but if you look at the number of kids who play hockey, even rep hockey, versus the number of players in the NHL, the odds are terrible no matter how old you start. It's like asking if your odds of winning the lottery go down if you buy a ticket after 4:00pm (they don't, AFAIK, but work with me here)- even if they do, the odds were so bad anyway that statiscally the difference is almost insignificant.

But if you just think playing hockey looks like fun and you'd like to try it, go ahead! I started eighteen months ago at age 24 and I love it. I figure skated competitively for almost fourteen years before I started hockey, so I had a bit of an advantage once I got used to the hockey skates. Skating forward and backward is a good start; you'll also want to know how to do a hockey stop, how to turn from forward to backward to the right and left, how to pivot backward to forward right to left and left to right, and how to do forward and backward crossovers both directions. Your local rink probably has an intro to hockey/learn-to-skate class where they teach this kind of stuff to get you ready for the lowest house league.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 02:18 PM
clawfirst

Quote:
If you are 6 foot 8, 250 pounds and a great athelete, id say not impossible.
Cory Cross( ill never mension this name again) didnt start untill college, the team coach saw him on campus and put him on skates

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 06:14 PM
XweekendwarriorX

If your honestly not playing hockey by the age of 10 than theres no chance. at age 12 i was scouted by junior teams and prep schools and i asked if i was the youngest and they said no they like to scout kids at ages of 9 and 10 and see how they grow to the game and react in situations. and those scouts also pass on what they seen to NHL scouts helping make there job a bit easier. but the older you start the less likely you have a chance at the NHL.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
At what age did Cheechoo actually first step on the ice with any regularity? For some reason I am thinking early teens.

10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
javorka

Quote:
Don't wanna burst your bubble, but...the sheer number of guys working to get to the NHL makes the chances of actually getting there slim - even for the very strongest players. But it's not impossible! I'm sure there are a lot of players who were told they'd never make it to the big league and did! You just need a tonne of determination! Get yourself to the rink!!!

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 10:49 PM
FiveThreeEmptyNet

not so simple - it depends

If that 13-14 year old:
  • is an elite athlete
  • has access to constant (almost daily) ice time
  • finds top competition to play with in two years
  • has a one-in-a-hundred burning desire and REALLY wants it
  • is extremely mentally tough
  • is 6' or taller
then you have a much different scenario than the "one-in-a-million" implied by several of the other answers.

Even then the odds aren't very good, but I would believe it if most of these criteria were met.

For everyone that says they want to play in the NHL, I'm guessing 98% wouldn't like it at all. Of course these folks don't even get close so it is a moot point, but I personally can think of several better ways to earn a buck.

FiveThreeEmptyNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Nosebleed Section

The odds of someone playing Bantam AAA are really ******. Honestly though realistictly I would say no chance in hell ever. Play for fun.

Didn't Roy start playing reallly late too?

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Bridges31

Just have fun with it, and don't think about going pro. Just go as far as you can. I had never skated in my life before my freshman year of high school, and I just one day decided to play goalie (15yrs old) I ended up starting my junior and senior year and going to play at the Verizon Wireless Arena (Manchester, NH) in the division finals my senior year. I missed all-state by 1 vote. My point is just have fun with it and you never know what will happen

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 10:40 PM
CaNucK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Just have fun with it, and don't think about going pro. Just go as far as you can. I had never skated in my life before my freshman year of high school, and I just one day decided to play goalie (15yrs old) I ended up starting my junior and senior year and going to play at the Verizon Wireless Arena (Manchester, NH) in the division finals my senior year. I missed all-state by 1 vote. My point is just have fun with it and you never know what will happen
good idea!

Old
10-10-2007, 11:44 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I was thinking yesterday, everyone used to say that if you weren't playing hockey or skating before you were six there was no chance of you making the NHL. But training regimens, and resources for learning the game of hockey have come a long way even in the past ten years. So, I think it's feasible for someone who starts at the age of 14 to make the NHL, you just have to be constantly skating, studying the game, and training. Might want to drop out of school, too. But, I don't think it's impossible.

But yeah, don't think about getting in the NHL. If you want to get good, work at it, work hard, get as far as you can, and stay in school.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Nbr-17

Peter Zezel didn't start playing hockey until he was in his teens.
It can be done

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 06:01 PM
TopProspect91

Heard that Tkachuk didn't start playing hockey till he was 16!

TopProspect91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Rem
For that, I'm out

I heard Cheechoo started in his teens as well, but reading some bio's state otherwise. He actually never played in an organized league with travel, coaching, and what not until he was 14.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 11:54 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarbtpmo View Post
Statistically speaking, the odds of such a kid making the NHL on merit are about the same as the odds that he will win the lottery enough times to buy a franchise outright, and force the coaching staff to put him in the lineup.
That's about the same odds as anybody making it to the NHL.

NCAA Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote