HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

GDT: 10/4/07 - BLUES at Phoenix

Old
10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

vCash: 500
Goal!!! Boyes From Tkachuk!!!

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:31 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Goal from Boyes, and a nice pass from Kariya.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:31 PM
DaBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Goal!!! Boyes From Tkachuk!!!
And Kariya!

DaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Great goal. Makes thios game fun again

I'm impressed with some of the rookies on there team that no one was talking about. winnik for instance.

Anyone else think stempniak looks nervous.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:37 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Interesting to see how this is going to play out with Brewer rocking Boynton.

That's funny because in the replay I could swore I saw Brewer on his back getting beaten by Boynton until the refs had to pull him off of him. Hope Brewer didn't get his skirt ripped :p

Darn good game tho

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:39 PM
CCBC

So close. If someone would of been in front of the net on that Tkachuk pass....

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:40 PM
DaBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
That's funny because in the replay I could swore I saw Brewer on his back getting beaten by Boynton until the refs had to pull him off of him. Hope Brewer didn't get his skirt ripped :p

Darn good game tho
Watch the whole fight not just the last 3 seconds. Wouldn't say Brewer won the fight, but not as bad as you make it out, or the OP for that matter.

Old
10-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

Rucinsky needs to be benched.

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:44 PM
CCBC

Ahh.. crap!

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:45 PM
DaBo

why is Kariya on the point on a 6 on 4?

Poor showing tonight, showed a little heart coming back, but they need to be ALOT better than they were tonight.

Old
10-04-2007, 11:47 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
darn tough loss...

congrats to EJ for his first NHL career point tonight.

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBo View Post
Watch the whole fight not just the last 3 seconds. Wouldn't say Brewer won the fight, but not as bad as you make it out, or the OP for that matter.

True.. just had to get in some good nature ribbing

ower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
General Veers

lost too many key faceoffs and got out-hustled most of the game.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:56 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

How did Wagner and Backes play?

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Guy Legend

2 periods of boring hockey by the Blues, too little too late in the third. Dissapointing to lose but it was good to see Legace start the season quite solid today. Tkachuk also looks strong to start the season.

I was also impressed with Erik Johnson. He looks like he comes as advertised for this only being his first game. Wagner looked good too in my opinion.

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 12:02 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternCollegeHockey View Post
How did Wagner and Backes play?
IMHO, Wagner did alright...not outstanding, but not disastrous. We were quite shaky in the transition game...that's not limited to Wagner, but it looked worse when he was holding the puck trying to figure out who to pass to. He made one ill-advised pinch late in the game.

Backes had a few strong shifts. He appears to be trying to assert himself more by driving to the net. His "fight," while admirable, was not terribly impressive.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Rucinsky? Press box. Press box? Rucinsky. Get to know each other, you two should be spending a lot of time together until Marty pulls his head out of his ass.

Backman was largely unimpressive. Jackman left EJ hung out to dry a few times, culminating in the 1st goal - and he needs to be yanked off the PP right now. EJ was OK in his 1st game - his reach was quite evident at times. Everyone be patient, he will develop quite nicely.

Brewer ... was Brewer. Could look great at times, horrible at others [see: 3rd goal]. Wagner wasn't spectacular, and that's not a bad thing. Salvador showed why he's never going to be more than a 5/6 defenseman, and that's a shame because he should be better.

Kariya needs to put a message out: "always expect a pass." He and Stempniak need to go on the same line and work on things. McClement was solid tonight, I was impressed. Mayers was Mayers. Backes was OK, good job to stand up for himself. Tkachuk and Weight weren't bad. Not great, but not bad. Boyes had a nice game, had some jump in his play. Hinote-Johnson-King were very good early on, but the Blues getting into a 3-0 hole pretty much stuck them on the bench.

Bottom line: like Blues teams of past years, this squad sat back and waited until they got their ass jumped by the other team and by their own head coach until they decided to start playing. They simply cannot do that - they need to play with urgency from the opening faceoff and put pressure on the opposition to grab a lead and control of the game. If Saturday at Los Angeles goes anything like this, the buzz surrounding this franchise is going to disappear quickly as fans deciding whether to get on the bandwagon look at an 0-2 start and say, "meh ... I'll save my money and see if the Cards actually have a plan to win games in 2008."

10-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Mike6749

Ruckinsky + Bäckman = Lemtyugov + Pola'k - $4,000,000

Mike6749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Plager05

The Blues really seemed to lack a killer instinct until they got down 3-0. The first goal was a rookie mistake by EJ. He went down too early and got schooled by Ballard. If Johnson doesn't take himself out of the play Ballard never gets that ridiculous rebound attempt.

The 2nd goal was a great shot in the top left corner with a screen.

The 3rd goal was horrible, Brewer has got to get that soft pass.

I'm not really that worried. The Blues really pounded Phoenix all three periods with good checks. They just need to keep working on offense and not just be content with one shot possessions. Legace played great, hung out to dry on goals 1 and 3, and 2 was a good goal.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 12:11 PM
NDBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Rucinsky? Press box. Press box? Rucinsky. Get to know each other, you two should be spending a lot of time together until Marty pulls his head out of his ass.

Backman was largely unimpressive. Jackman left EJ hung out to dry a few times, culminating in the 1st goal - and he needs to be yanked off the PP right now. EJ was OK in his 1st game - his reach was quite evident at times. Everyone be patient, he will develop quite nicely.

Brewer ... was Brewer. Could look great at times, horrible at others [see: 3rd goal]. Wagner wasn't spectacular, and that's not a bad thing. Salvador showed why he's never going to be more than a 5/6 defenseman, and that's a shame because he should be better.

Kariya needs to put a message out: "always expect a pass." He and Stempniak need to go on the same line and work on things. McClement was solid tonight, I was impressed. Mayers was Mayers. Backes was OK, good job to stand up for himself. Tkachuk and Weight weren't bad. Not great, but not bad. Boyes had a nice game, had some jump in his play. Hinote-Johnson-King were very good early on, but the Blues getting into a 3-0 hole pretty much stuck them on the bench.

Bottom line: like Blues teams of past years, this squad sat back and waited until they got their ass jumped by the other team and by their own head coach until they decided to start playing. They simply cannot do that - they need to play with urgency from the opening faceoff and put pressure on the opposition to grab a lead and control of the game. If Saturday at Los Angeles goes anything like this, the buzz surrounding this franchise is going to disappear quickly as fans deciding whether to get on the bandwagon look at an 0-2 start and say, "meh ... I'll save my money and see if the Cards actually have a plan to win games in 2008."
I agree with everything you wrote. Honestly, I didn't even see Rucinsky the hole game. Not something someone who is expected to put points on the board should be doing. Overall, I am disgusted with the Blues. Sure its the first game of the season, but Pheonix's rookie line looked solid while nearly every Blues player looked shakey. When Kariya and Stempniak are on the ice, EVERYONE wearing a BlueNote needs to have their FREAKIN' STICKS ON THE ICE!!!! I saw at least 2 passes by both of them that were sweet, possible goal scoring opportunities and the player on the receiving end was taken completely by surprise. DANG IT!!! I can only hope that AM lays into these guys something fierce. If they play like this the rest of the year, I predict a 5-72-5 record. Go Blues!!

NDBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 06:08 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post

I dunno. I thought Salvador played quite well, Tkachuk and Weight were pretty good, and Boyes was invisible until he scored... kinda weird but I never saw him do anything substancial until that point.

Gotta agree with your last paragraph though.

If the Blues can actually win some important faceoffs tonight, I think we'll see a different game.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 06:09 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDBluesFan View Post
I agree with everything you wrote. Honestly, I didn't even see Rucinsky the hole game. Not something someone who is expected to put points on the board should be doing. Overall, I am disgusted with the Blues. Sure its the first game of the season, but Pheonix's rookie line looked solid while nearly every Blues player looked shakey. When Kariya and Stempniak are on the ice, EVERYONE wearing a BlueNote needs to have their FREAKIN' STICKS ON THE ICE!!!! I saw at least 2 passes by both of them that were sweet, possible goal scoring opportunities and the player on the receiving end was taken completely by surprise. DANG IT!!! I can only hope that AM lays into these guys something fierce. If they play like this the rest of the year, I predict a 5-72-5 record. Go Blues!!
Overreact much? I like the enthusiasm, but the first game is never a good indication with this Blues team.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote