HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dead Men Skating

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2004, 04:59 PM
  #26
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
The Rangers may not have given up much for Jagr, however if you are a rebuilding team, then why have a player like that? Rangers biggest problems were defense and clearing the crease and Jagr addresses none of those. One can make a case that Washington won the deal becuase they turned around and dealt Carter for a prospect. One can make a case that had the Rangers never dealt for Jagr, they would have been able to have another prospect becuase they could have dealt Carter themselves. So the argument of "who would you rather have, Carter or Jagr is moot". A true rebuilding team would have neither. And the Caps don't.
The Caps also freed themselves of any potential cap hit by trading Jagr. Instead the Rangers are going to be a rebuilding team that is taking an immidiate cap hit of $11m by having Jagr.
One cannot dispute that Jagr has played well since he has arrived here. However, when you are in a rebuilding mode, that's the player that you trade for a prospect. The Caps managed to do that AND lower their salary against any cap or luxury tax. The Rangers did not.
do you want to turn into the penguins and have nothing? the rangers need a good first line and jagr is a perfect guy to be on that line. we are paying him 6 million a year why do you keep insisting its 11?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 05:06 PM
  #27
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
because even if washington pays us 5 million of his salary, it's VERY possibly the whole number will count against us if there is any form of a salary cap.

so essentially if there is a cap, dolan pockets the money but under nhl rules he couldn't invest it in the team.

Furthermore when you're a rebuilding team you dont need a 6 million dollar first line RW.

the penguins situation is totally different. They have no money so they are continually in a rebuilding mode.

This team could rebuild and actually build a team. instead they are stuck {and yes they are STUCK} with Jagr.

Believe me they asked people about him at the trading deadline, if someone came up with an offer they'd move him in a heartbeat.

Edge is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 05:14 PM
  #28
Park #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
because even if washington pays us 5 million of his salary, it's VERY possibly the whole number will count against us if there is any form of a salary cap.

so essentially if there is a cap, dolan pockets the money but under nhl rules he couldn't invest it in the team.

Furthermore when you're a rebuilding team you dont need a 6 million dollar first line RW.

the penguins situation is totally different. They have no money so they are continually in a rebuilding mode.

This team could rebuild and actually build a team. instead they are stuck {and yes they are STUCK} with Jagr.

Believe me they asked people about him at the trading deadline, if someone came up with an offer they'd move him in a heartbeat.
100% true. And this isn't a knock on Jagr, just plain fact.

Park #2 is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 05:19 PM
  #29
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
i dont have anything personally against Jagr {though having met him i can tell you he certainly learned his manners from Mario aka the Frail One}.

For me he just doesnt fit in with anything this team is going for now. He was a last ditch move this season and it didn't work and now we are stuck with him.

Edge is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 05:23 PM
  #30
Park #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
i dont have anything personally against Jagr {though having met him i can tell you he certainly learned his manners from Mario aka the Frail One}.

For me he just doesnt fit in with anything this team is going for now. He was a last ditch move this season and it didn't work and now we are stuck with him.
I meant from my part....

That said, my understanding is that he was a jerk in DC to nearly everyone in that organization. Perhaps it was because he was generally unhappy there.

He'll be a productive player, but if the Rangers have another out of the playoffs finish next year, will he be happy in NYC?

The Rangers need to build a team that actually is close to each other. Comraderie is a big part of this game and the Ranger teams these last few years haven't had it. There are several reasons for this, but if I mention names, I'm going to get slaughtered on this board!

Park #2 is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 05:30 PM
  #31
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I dunno, i remember even in pitts. Jagr was a jerk.

The big difference between now and then is

A. This ain't pitts so washington and ny don't have two cups to be thankful for from him.

b. the fans aren't as willing to forgive his BS here for the above reasons.

c. he isnt producing like he once did. Everyone can live with a jerk if he puts up 120 points a year.

Edge is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 05:47 PM
  #32
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
hmm why are you so sure jagr will count 11 million againts the salary cap? wait i know you read larry brooks say it but when is he ever right?
The latter part of your comment can only be valid when you produce the Brooks article that talks about how much Jagr will count against the cap. Until such a time, it is just another example of you talking out of your rearend.
However, in the interest of educating you......I am making an educated guess based upon ALL of the other major sports. In ALL cases (without exception), the team that holds the players contract is charged 100% of the value of the contract against any type of cap or luxury tax.

"we are paying him 6 million a year why do you keep insisting its 11?"

I am not saying that we are paying him $11m. I AM saying that he WILL count the full $11m against the cap.

True Blue is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 06:28 PM
  #33
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
The latter part of your comment can only be valid when you produce the Brooks article that talks about how much Jagr will count against the cap. Until such a time, it is just another example of you talking out of your rearend.
However, in the interest of educating you......I am making an educated guess based upon ALL of the other major sports. In ALL cases (without exception), the team that holds the players contract is charged 100% of the value of the contract against any type of cap or luxury tax.

"we are paying him 6 million a year why do you keep insisting its 11?"

I am not saying that we are paying him $11m. I AM saying that he WILL count the full $11m against the cap.
please trubrooks lets get your facts straight. when the nba started a salary cap they grandfathered in contracts. when the nfl started a salary cap they gave teams one year of free agency without a cap but teams knew they had a year to get under the cap.

brooks wrote the articles on october 25 and in late november. if you don't believe me look it up on hockeybird archives. i'm not here to do your homework. but i'm sure you knew this. you always know what your buddy larry writes

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 06:29 PM
  #34
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,804
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
please trubrooks lets get your facts straight. when the nba started a salary cap they grandfathered in contracts. when the nfl started a salary cap they gave teams one year of free agency without a cap but teams knew they had a year to get under the cap.

brooks wrote the articles on october 25 and in late november. if you don't believe me look it up on hockeybird archives. i'm not here to do your homework. but i'm sure you knew this. you always know what your buddy larry writes

Play nice.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 06:30 PM
  #35
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Play nice.
sorry boss

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 06:35 PM
  #36
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,804
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
sorry boss
No need to say sorry and no need to call me boss.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
  #37
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
please trubrooks lets get your facts straight. when the nba started a salary cap they grandfathered in contracts. when the nfl started a salary cap they gave teams one year of free agency without a cap but teams knew they had a year to get under the cap.

brooks wrote the articles on october 25 and in late november. if you don't believe me look it up on hockeybird archives. i'm not here to do your homework. but i'm sure you knew this. you always know what your buddy larry writes
So you are astute enough to presume that I base all of my arguments from Larry Brooks? Ok. You caught me. However, until I see you actually produce the article that states how much Jagr will count against the cap, you have no argument. If indeed your argument that is your argument. Oh and great. The NBA gave teams one year to get themselves under the cap. Don't we have Jagr for 3 more years?

True Blue is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 07:57 PM
  #38
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE
 
Evil Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YOU MAKE SOME MO
Posts: 1,898
vCash: 500
With Carpinello gone, name a better hockey writer than Brooks right now. I'm waiiiiting, Glenjar. You can slam Brooks all you want, but the fact is he has a tendecy to write rather astute articles, when he chooses to focus on the Rangers.

Evil Sather is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 07:59 PM
  #39
Park #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather
With Carpinello gone, name a better hockey writer than Brooks right now. I'm waiiiiting, Glenjar. You can slam Brooks all you want, but the fact is he has a tendecy to write rather astute articles, when he chooses to focus on the Rangers.
I hope you are referring to the NY market only.... Right?

Park #2 is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 08:10 PM
  #40
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather
With Carpinello gone, name a better hockey writer than Brooks right now. I'm waiiiiting, Glenjar. You can slam Brooks all you want, but the fact is he has a tendecy to write rather astute articles, when he chooses to focus on the Rangers.
Joe lapointe or bridgett wentworth. they only give you legit rumors unlike brooks. Larry Brooks is a joke mr sather

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 08:14 PM
  #41
Park #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Joe lapointe or bridgett wentworth. they only give you legit rumors unlike brooks. Larry Brooks is a joke mr sather
Bridgett Wentworth? Oh my god. She only gives rumors of trades that are minutes away from happening because that's all she has access to..... Joe Lapointe is basically the same.

Brooks has his own problems, but at least he does have "some" connections around the NHL.

Park #2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.