HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doesn't the team look faster this year?

Old
10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Jay88*

vCash: 500
NYR looked faster no quesytions. As I watched the last couple of Ranger rewinds and that is something they been missing for like 10 -13 years. They also are alot younger then they have ever been,so thats a big thing as well.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Jagr looked slower then ever in his 3 years here. I know hes injured but c'on, lets not say he looked faster then ever.

Maybe once or twice he went all out, but mostly he was very slow with the puck..
Agreed.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:25 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Jagr did have that hip flexor recently, but I didn't notice any signs from it.

Personally, I thought that Jagr looked faster than he has in the last couple of years, though not all that fast. No worries, though, Jagr's game hasn't been about speed for a long time. It never really was: leg strength, anticipation, soft hands and a shot that is nearly impossible to read are what make him so good.
I'm not so sure. Wasn't long ago he was backing up the D or blowing by them in route to a new Ranger goal scoring record. Was it Nylander creating open ice for him?

Maybe he is nursing the hip and it is only one game, but he certainly didn't play his usual dominating game. Just with all the offseason training, I expected more. Or now that Gomez is here, maybe Jagr's speed looks slow in comparison? He also mentioned he could play differently now, being he's in shape. But I always thought that meant, he would use his speed to create more space. Now I think, looking at this game, it meant more of a power thing. When he did not have the puck, he was always around or in front of the net, looking for rebounds or tip ins. Whereas he use to stay along the boards, perimeter calling for the puck. On the PP he barely touched the puck because of his position in front of the net. No wonder we didn't score any PP goals. He's not gonna get any shots off in the slot, his only chance in scoring was with a garbage goal in front. And as well as the Rangers moved the puck on the PP, Vokoun didn't give up many rebounds in front. I'm obviously reading to much into one game.
Just thought Jags would come out flying this year and instead, Gomer made him look as slow as Malik.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:39 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I'm not so sure. Wasn't long ago he was backing up the D or blowing by them in route to a new Ranger goal scoring record. Was it Nylander creating open ice for him?

Maybe he is nursing the hip and it is only one game, but he certainly didn't play his usual dominating game. Just with all the offseason training, I expected more. Or now that Gomez is here, maybe Jagr's speed looks slow in comparison? He also mentioned he could play differently now, being he's in shape. But I always thought that meant, he would use his speed to create more space. Now I think, looking at this game, it meant more of a power thing. When he did not have the puck, he was always around or in front of the net, looking for rebounds or tip ins. Whereas he use to stay along the boards, perimeter calling for the puck. On the PP he barely touched the puck because of his position in front of the net. No wonder we didn't score any PP goals. He's not gonna get any shots off in the slot, his only chance in scoring was with a garbage goal in front. And as well as the Rangers moved the puck on the PP, Vokoun didn't give up many rebounds in front. I'm obviously reading to much into one game.
Just thought Jags would come out flying this year, and instead Gomer made him look as slow as Malik.

Can it be that it was just one game?
Jagr was never fast in 2005-06 when he got all those records, in fact he played a perimeter power game that year more than any other season in his career.

The few times he skated with the puck in the home opener, he did in fact look quite fast (saying he was as slow as Malik is ridiculous).

Comparing him to Gomez in speed is also not fair, since Gomez' whole game is to skate really fast with the puck, he doesn't control the puck as often as Jagr does so therefore doesn't use up as much energy as Jagr would overall in a game. Jagr uses his speed only when he has to, he conserves his energy throughout the game and I think he analizes the play, when he deems it's time to turn it on, he does. For that he gets called lazy and slow, but is in fact conserving his energy for the tight situation in the third period when he usually likes to take over games, he's been like that his whole career, thats why they say the a team can shut down Jagr for 58 minutes and still lose the game, in those last 2 minutes he can burn you.

Again comparaing Gomez to Jagr in skating is not fair because Jagr is 6'3 over 220 lbs., Gomez is 5'11 and just about 200lbs. that is quite a difference in size and usually smaller guys have to use less leg strength to skate as fast as a bigger guy would. The fact that Jagr gets doubled teamed a lot more, and paid attention to so much by other defense also has to do with Jagr looking slow at times, they try to take away all his space and time. Let's see Gomez maintain his speed game all the time if he was being paid attention to as much by defense like Jagr would.

livewell68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 04:25 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Can it be that it was just one game?
Jagr was never fast in 2005-06 when he got all those records, in fact he played a perimeter power game that year more than any other season in his career.

The few times he skated with the puck in the home opener, he did in fact look quite fast (saying he was as slow as Malik is ridiculous).

Comparing him to Gomez in speed is also not fair, since Gomez' whole game is to skate really fast with the puck, he doesn't control the puck as often as Jagr does so therefore doesn't use up as much energy as Jagr would overall in a game. Jagr uses his speed only when he has to, he conserves his energy throughout the game and I think he analizes the play, when he deems it's time to turn it on, he does. For that he gets called lazy and slow, but is in fact conserving his energy for the tight situation in the third period when he usually likes to take over games, he's been like that his whole career, thats why they say the a team can shut down Jagr for 58 minutes and still lose the game, in those last 2 minutes he can burn you.

Again comparaing Gomez to Jagr in skating is not fair because Jagr is 6'3 over 220 lbs., Gomez is 5'11 and just about 200lbs. that is quite a difference in size and usually smaller guys have to use less leg strength to skate as fast as a bigger guy would. The fact that Jagr gets doubled teamed a lot more, and paid attention to so much by other defense also has to do with Jagr looking slow at times, they try to take away all his space and time. Let's see Gomez maintain his speed game all the time if he was being paid attention to as much by defense like Jagr would.
Yes, I said it's one game and obviously reading to much into it. But he was not fast, or should I say fast enough when he tried to put on the burners. He had a hard time getting around defenders and the one time he did, he was kept to the outside when obviously his intention was to cut inside to the net, once he got around. And those times were few and far between. Most of the times, that his path was blocked, he dished it off. Whereas Gomer skated right by, down the center of the ice, straight to the net. Jagr might have looked fast to you in the open ice, but who wouldn't when there's no one blocking your path. No one is saying he has to skate fast all the time. I'm just saying when he did, it was ineffective.

And in 06 he had many highlights with center ice rushes to the net.

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-06-2007 at 04:44 AM.
Old
10-06-2007, 09:08 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Why the team looks faster:

<insert other pictures of team additions here>

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 11:32 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Yes, I said it's one game and obviously reading to much into it. But he was not fast, or should I say fast enough when he tried to put on the burners. He had a hard time getting around defenders and the one time he did, he was kept to the outside when obviously his intention was to cut inside to the net, once he got around. And those times were few and far between. Most of the times, that his path was blocked, he dished it off. Whereas Gomer skated right by, down the center of the ice, straight to the net. Jagr might have looked fast to you in the open ice, but who wouldn't when there's no one blocking your path. No one is saying he has to skate fast all the time. I'm just saying when he did, it was ineffective.

And in 06 he had many highlights with center ice rushes to the net.
Yes, I would say that Jagr didn't have quite the jets to cut back to the middle on most of his rushes. I noticed that as he was skating towards my seats in the corner. Only 1 game though.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Jagr looks fast only about once or twice a game, and it's because he slows the game down alot. It's like he moves slowly all game and then when he goes to full speed you notice it. But he really isn't extremely fast. You watch him play at his pace for so long that it looks normal, and when he uses a burst of speed it looks abnormal because you're not used to seeing it.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 06:21 PM
ohbaby

How would you rate his speed in the league or on the Rangers say with Shannys speed an 80 and Gomer a 100
1 gomer 100
2 straka 95
3 jagr 94

Old
10-06-2007, 06:51 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Still waaaaay slower than Ottawa......
At least in the first period of this game....

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
How would you rate his speed in the league or on the Rangers say with Shannys speed an 80 and Gomer a 100
1 gomer 100
2 straka 95
3 jagr 94
vs the league those numbers are a little inflated IMO...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:46 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
vs the league those numbers are a little inflated IMO...
No this is strictly between the Rangers. With Gomer being the highest at 100 and shanny being slow at 80 where would you rate Jagr.

Old
10-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
No this is strictly between the Rangers. With Gomer being the highest at 100 and shanny being slow at 80 where would you rate Jagr.
93 if you are looking at the playoffs last year...

87 if you look at the season thus far and last year.....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 10:08 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
93 if you are looking at the playoffs last year...

87 if you look at the season thus far and last year.....
Thanks, I think that is a fair assumption. Would you rate Straka faster? Callahan showed some speed today, where would you rate him in the mix?

Old
10-06-2007, 10:39 PM
AXN

They looked slow against Ottawa all game.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote