HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and it appears that the deal....

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2007, 06:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
a tale of two papers, huh?

funny how the perspective is so different coming from each.

Old
10-06-2007, 10:25 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
a tale of two papers, huh?

funny how the perspective is so different coming from each.
It would be funny only if the misinformation disseminated by that rag didn't influence so many of the lemmings in Nashville. Unfortunately, most of the Biddle/Climer followers aren't interested in developing an informed opinion on the issue.

Old
10-07-2007, 09:17 AM
lstcyr

And, of course, in your version of fairness, let's compare a story in the Tennessean the day before Dean talks to the Council to one after he talks to the Council.

By the way, send me a copy of the Nashville Post "paper" when you get a chance. (Thought so.)

Old
10-07-2007, 09:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Face it, city paper and the post have better coverage of this and most other Predators items.

And who cares if you don't have a printed copy, I can print you one from my printer if you would like.

Old
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
lstcyr

that's what you believe and I understand why....

Old
10-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
And, of course, in your version of fairness, let's compare a story in the Tennessean the day before Dean talks to the Council to one after he talks to the Council.

By the way, send me a copy of the Nashville Post "paper" when you get a chance. (Thought so.)
Let's see the Post breaks the story of Basillie agreeing to purchase the team, then breaks the story of the local group steping up, all this time The Titanseean is running stories about how the grass is growing in LP feild and about Phillp Fulmers charity golf events.

Old
10-07-2007, 10:45 AM
handtrick

Quote:
that's what you believe and I understand why....
Your blind allegiance to the Tennessean is rather amusing.

Old
10-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
What does that have to do with the quality of the writing or stories that the paper has broke before others?

Old
10-07-2007, 12:58 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
What does that have to do with the quality of the writing or stories that the paper has broke before others?
It's not a newspaper. It's a web site run by former Tennessean reporters. (Imagine that!)

Old
10-07-2007, 01:01 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Let's see the Post breaks the story of Basillie agreeing to purchase the team, then breaks the story of the local group steping up, all this time The Titanseean is running stories about how the grass is growing in LP feild and about Phillp Fulmers charity golf events.
Every paper gets scooped occasionally. You're arguing a point that to me isn't relevant to the body of work over ten long years. Unless you're saying there has never been a story you read in the Tennessean before the Post. How about the Predators coming to Nashville? The Devils considering coming to Nashville? I do remember both of those being in the Post first. (Not.)

Old
10-07-2007, 01:02 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Your blind allegiance to the Tennessean is rather amusing.
I think the Tennessean is better than most folks on here give them credit for. Do I think they do as good a job of covering the Predators as I would like? Heck no!!!! There are plenty of things that they could do better. What I dislike is not giving them credit for anything. Not everything they do is wrong.

Old
10-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Not everything they do is wrong.
I don't think anyone has said that and most give credit when the paper does do a good job. The paper just doesn't do it enough.

Old
10-07-2007, 02:23 PM
handtrick

Quote:
I think the Tennessean is better than most folks on here give them credit for. Do I think they do as good a job of covering the Predators as I would like? Heck no!!!! There are plenty of things that they could do better. What I dislike is not giving them credit for anything. Not everything they do is wrong.
Not everything they do is wrong, but you have to admit that they put a lot of negative bias and sensationalism when they don't have to. They see things through a Pred-negative prism.
They also use misleading or slanted headlines to try to grab attention or create contraversy [presumbly to sell papers].

Richard Lawson can write an investigative piece that is much more informative, much less sensationalized, and much more neutral.

Body of work creates crediblity, much as it does on these boards, and in life.
At this point Richard Lawson is much more "credible" than anyone on the Tennessean staff, including its editors.

Old
10-07-2007, 02:30 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
The amusing part is the fact that you act like they do nothing wrong. If just every once in a while when there is a rehash article about attendance or a dogassed opinion piece trying to be passed off as a news article you could say "yeah that sucked" people would be more open to your support of the paper.

Old
10-07-2007, 03:15 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
The amusing part is the fact that you act like they do nothing wrong. If just every once in a while when there is a rehash article about attendance or a dogassed opinion piece trying to be passed off as a news article you could say "yeah that sucked" people would be more open to your support of the paper.
Does this count (from another thread):
"I don't disagree. We should have hired someone who knew hockey to be a columnist and the beat reporter. Blame the editor (not sports editor, the editor) at the time. He was a big football fan. Didn't know squat about hockey.

I disagree that Biddle and Climer and the paper want the Preds to leave and would be happy that they did. I think what you're missing is that they simply don't care either way. A significant difference."

Old
10-07-2007, 04:46 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's not a newspaper. It's a web site run by former Tennessean reporters. (Imagine that!)
Imagine that. Those guys were let go while Biddle, Glennon, Climer and Hope all still work for the Tennessean.

Old
10-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Jarnberg

Do not question the Tennessean. We mortals fail to comprehend the vast enigma that is newspaper industry. Only those who have touched the light inside the Tennessean head quarters will truly understand not only the paper, but how to read it.

Old
10-07-2007, 04:54 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Imagine that. Those guys were let go while Biddle, Glennon, Climer and Hope all still work for the Tennessean.
First of all, they weren't let go. They left of their own accord. Secondly, they were business and news reporters and not columnists.

As I've said before I don't agree with all of the coverage of the Predators by the Tennessean. I just think that some of what's being said is unfair and I will continue to speak out.

Old
10-07-2007, 04:59 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Do not question the Tennessean. We mortals fail to comprehend the vast enigma that is newspaper industry. Only those who have touched the light inside the Tennessean head quarters will truly understand not only the paper, but how to read it.
I did not say don't question the Tennessean. Most of my comments concern the unfairness of tarring them with every bad thing that happens or is written about the Predators.

As I've said before, you have your opinion and I have mine. Since I've worked there, I would suggest that I know a little more about what actually happens there. If I had comments about the industry that you work in, Stranger, I'd probably not know as much as you do about it.

Hey, question the Tennessean, comment on the articles, complain about the columnists. Don't assume that you're completely right or make unfair statements about what happens there. That's all I'm saying.

Old
10-07-2007, 05:01 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
First of all, they weren't let go. They left of their own accord. Secondly, they were business and news reporters and not columnists.

As I've said before I don't agree with all of the coverage of the Predators by the Tennessean. I just think that some of what's being said is unfair and I will continue to speak out.
No I understand where you're coming from.

On that note, I'd like to tell everyone how great Dell computers and laptops are and you should all buy 3 or 4 this Christmas.

Old
10-07-2007, 05:12 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
No I understand where you're coming from.

On that note, I'd like to tell everyone how great Dell computers and laptops are and you should all buy 3 or 4 this Christmas.
I actually bought one for my dad a couple of months ago. He's 79 and never really had a computer. He loves it. I've finally convinced him that he's on the internet if he gets email. He's beginning to catch on.

He'll never be a hockey fan though. Yankees all the way.

Go Dell!!!

Old
10-07-2007, 05:21 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Quote:
Does this count (from another thread):
"I don't disagree. We should have hired someone who knew hockey to be a columnist and the beat reporter. Blame the editor (not sports editor, the editor) at the time. He was a big football fan. Didn't know squat about hockey.

I disagree that Biddle and Climer and the paper want the Preds to leave and would be happy that they did. I think what you're missing is that they simply don't care either way. A significant difference."
No.

Those two are just excuses for why the paper can't cover hockey not an admission of an article actually being bad. Kind of like apologizing to someone and following that with "but" and inserting some reason that you were justified in your actions that you are supposed to be sorry for.

Old
10-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
I did not say don't question the Tennessean. Most of my comments concern the unfairness of tarring them with every bad thing that happens or is written about the Predators.

As I've said before, you have your opinion and I have mine. Since I've worked there, I would suggest that I know a little more about what actually happens there. If I had comments about the industry that you work in, Stranger, I'd probably not know as much as you do about it.

Hey, question the Tennessean, comment on the articles, complain about the columnists. Don't assume that you're completely right or make unfair statements about what happens there. That's all I'm saying.
The paper is the cause of a lot of the bad stuff written about the Team. Scott Burnside and The Canadian press is fueled by their negativity. THEY ALL WANT THE TEAM OUT OF NASHVILLLE. There is no way to deny that fact. You worked there you should know that Climer, Woody, and Biddle hate the team being here. Climer is also on 104.5 and constantly complains and changes the subject when hockey is brought up. I don't want a cheerleading type of media not being a Vol fan and living close to Knoxville I know how annoying that can be, but some fairness would be good every once and a while. For the last 3 yeas The Titanseean has basically reported that the team is moving and there is no reason for anyone to attend games or to try to save them. They are causing the average fan to stay away. For what ever reason every thing the paper does is with the agenda of getting the team moved.

Old
10-07-2007, 07:56 PM
belle

Quote:
Before August, I would have agreed with you. Even today I would agree they get some things right; every schizophrenic gets some things right.

Their stories and commentaries on the pending deal have been nothing short of infammatory, contradictory and complete with dubious math.

"Surely, I jest?" you say.

Look at today's paper (admittedly the editorial section). Mark Silverman presents his case that the paper is unbiased, fair, objective.

Mr. Silverman's arguments sit alongside Larry Daughtrey's piece espousing the local group is looking for a "blank check on the taxpayer account for a bunch of millionaires who want to buy the Nashville Predators. Just how much the check would total seems to vary day by day, but it is somewhere north of $11 million." He infers that the local group wants $11M plus. He neglects to mention (or maybe he doesn't know) that the $11M number we hear batted around pertains to the bonds the city is obligated to pay rather the Preds are here or not. In fact, these bonds have nothing to do with the Preds; the bonds pre-date the Predators.

In fairness to Mr. Daughtrey, his opinion apparently is the City should not entice businesses by allowing tax breaks or work with the Sounds or spend money on a convention center. While he commentary starts with the Preds, it basically ends with all businesses.

Opinions are like *******s; we have one. There are some at The Tennessean that need an enema.

Old
10-07-2007, 09:32 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
No.

Those two are just excuses for why the paper can't cover hockey not an admission of an article actually being bad. Kind of like apologizing to someone and following that with "but" and inserting some reason that you were justified in your actions that you are supposed to be sorry for.
As I've said before, bias is in the eye of the beholder. I disagree that the paper "can't cover hockey". You don't like the way they cover hockey and I wish they did a better job of it. They cover hockey in an acceptable way to most of the readership of the Tennessean. Since most of the people here don't read the Tennessean, why do you care?

Closed Thread