HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Warrior

Old
10-07-2007, 01:28 PM
greekdrummer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
Warrior

I am looking to buy a warrior stick for next season. i really like the dolomite stick, i saw that its low kick point. what does that mean? also is there a difference between the dolomite and the mac daddy? thanks

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 01:53 PM
clawfirst

Kick point refers to where the shaft is designed to flex the most, whiping from that point to theorhetically give you more power. Sort of like a bow when firing an arrow. I do not know these two different products but did sell sporting goods for several years in high school.

Ill google the specs and check back

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 02:03 PM
clawfirst

Ok the dolomite is a fused one piece design meaning its not actually a one piece, the shaft and blade were seperate prior to fusing, therefore it is the weak point and will more than likely break there. The mac daddy is a true one piece, and is about 20 grams lighter.

it willl be a cost value buy, the mac daddy should perform better, but is more likely to break somewhere other than the kick point(you can put a blade in a one piece after it breaks there)

Now all you need to figure out is the lie, blade pattern, and stiffness rating you need

Old
10-07-2007, 02:06 PM
greekdrummer

ok then will the mac daddy give me better wrist shots and slap shots or something? i want the stick thats gonna let me get the better shot off.

Old
10-07-2007, 02:13 PM
clawfirst

uhh not necessarily, if you were to get a mac daddy with the wrong flex rating for your size and power you'd be better off using wood

but yes theorhetically the power transfer in a true one piece should be superior
the mac daddy is a higher end stick and should cost more aswell

the most important thing for you to consider will be the flex rating, and length(if you shorten it, you get less leverage and it will be more stiff)

Old
10-07-2007, 02:34 PM
greekdrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
uhh not necessarily, if you were to get a mac daddy with the wrong flex rating for your size and power you'd be better off using wood

but yes theorhetically the power transfer in a true one piece should be superior
the mac daddy is a higher end stick and should cost more aswell

the most important thing for you to consider will be the flex rating, and length(if you shorten it, you get less leverage and it will be more stiff)
so then will my wristers and slappers be better with a mac daddy?

Old
10-07-2007, 02:37 PM
clawfirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post
so then will my wristers and slappers be better with a mac daddy?

read what i said again

it is the superior stick and should perform better than the dolomite in identical usage with identical specifications

ill simplify this for you and say yes even though there are many other variables to consider

Old
10-07-2007, 02:47 PM
EagleBlack87
Score ze goals

Get the Stealth CNT or Synergy Elite instead.

EagleBlack87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Jacob

Your wristers and slappers will be better with a Mylec.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 05:54 PM
greekdrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Your wristers and slappers will be better with a Mylec.
wow

Old
10-07-2007, 05:58 PM
newfish

Send a message via AIM to newfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBlack87 View Post
Get the Stealth CNT or Synergy Elite instead.

Id rather use a Mylec then an EASTON

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 06:09 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Quote:
wow
Surprised you didn't say 'wow' to any of the other information you've got so far

Low kick point means it's a tapered stick, so instead of a normal stick kicking in the middle or wherever, the stick is made to have the main flexy point near the bottom for a quicker release. But that's more theoretical since most ppl don't know what it means and generally arn't a good enough shot to really benefit from it. Plus, there's lots of NHL guys who got killer shots without using a tapered, like Paul Kariya.

And on the fused one piece comment-- doesn't mean it'll break there. Most one piece composites are fused and idk the exact stats, I don't think it's any higher than a stick breaking at the blade or higher up the shaft. I'd think it'd be one of the more stronger parts of the stick since it's not hollow. Plus, if they break at the fuse point all the time it kinda negates using a shaft and blade since if it'd break, A) it'd be a pain to get the remenants of the blade out or B) the shaft gets shorter.

And finally, a stick isn't gonna give you a better shot. Practice will. Though having a correct flex will help give you more pop, and a nicer stick might give a little more performance, but if you don't know how to put it to use, it's really a waste of $200.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 06:13 PM
greekdrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Surprised you didn't say 'wow' to any of the other information you've got so far

Low kick point means it's a tapered stick, so instead of a normal stick kicking in the middle or wherever, the stick is made to have the main flexy point near the bottom for a quicker release. But that's more theoretical since most ppl don't know what it means and generally arn't a good enough shot to really benefit from it. Plus, there's lots of NHL guys who got killer shots without using a tapered, like Paul Kariya.

And on the fused one piece comment-- doesn't mean it'll break there. Most one piece composites are fused and idk the exact stats, I don't think it's any higher than a stick breaking at the blade or higher up the shaft. I'd think it'd be one of the more stronger parts of the stick since it's not hollow. Plus, if they break at the fuse point all the time it kinda negates using a shaft and blade since if it'd break, A) it'd be a pain to get the remenants of the blade out or B) the shaft gets shorter.

And finally, a stick isn't gonna give you a better shot. Practice will. Though having a correct flex will help give you more pop, and a nicer stick might give a little more performance, but if you don't know how to put it to use, it's really a waste of $200.
i have a pretty good shot, i think a higher end stick will give me a little better one than the 20$ tps (its composite) i got on sale from hockeygiant

Old
10-07-2007, 06:20 PM
sc37

Quote:
i have a pretty good shot, i think a higher end stick will give me a little better one than the 20$ tps (its composite) i got on sale from hockeygiant
Yeah no offense or anything, but most ppl think it's the equalizing tool. I mean there are still woodie users who can kick some butt.

But yeah I'm guessing TPS R2 stick? I see lot of those around...they are kinda heavy and not the greatest IMO. You'll find a nicer stick kicks a little better, but personally I don't think it's gonna drastically improve anything.

Old
10-07-2007, 08:16 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
But then again just beca........ahhh forget it.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 08:58 PM
lotus

really man, you wont notice a huge difference in your shot from stick to stick with the exception of blade pattern, until your shot hits a certain point. Once you have a blistering slapper and you can pinpoint a shot, then you will start to notice certain sticks having more kick than others.

That's just my experience though. It's why I went with a Synergy ST over the SL.....I know it will last me longer. (really i just love the Sakic curve).

I'm not doubting your shot, but first ask yourself whether or not you notice less kick in a wood stick after a few weeks of using it than the day you bought it. If you don't notice a difference, then a stick isn't what you need to improve. That or you got yourself a primo twig.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
stick9

Good thing sc37 stepped in and set things straight.

Something to think about when choosing between a Dolomite and Mac Daddy. If you are someone who breaks mostly blades. You can remove the blade from a Dolomite and replace it with a Dolo2 blade and end up with basically the same stick you had before the breakage. With the Mac Daddy, it's to the trash bin.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 11:55 AM
sc37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Good thing sc37 stepped in and set things straight.

Something to think about when choosing between a Dolomite and Mac Daddy. If you are someone who breaks mostly blades. You can remove the blade from a Dolomite and replace it with a Dolo2 blade and end up with basically the same stick you had before the breakage. With the Mac Daddy, it's to the trash bin.

But I do agree its nice to be able to take out the blade on a fused stick (though sometimes it's a realll pain). I really didn't notice much between a real one piece and the fused I've used, much less a shaft and blade. I broke the real one piece Nitro I had and it was a pain finding where to saw to stick in another blade so off to the trash it went.