HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and it appears that the deal....

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2007, 09:39 PM
  #76
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
The paper is the cause of a lot of the bad stuff written about the Team. Scott Burnside and The Canadian press is fueled by their negativity. THEY ALL WANT THE TEAM OUT OF NASHVILLLE. There is no way to deny that fact. You worked there you should know that Climer, Woody, and Biddle hate the team being here. Climer is also on 104.5 and constantly complains and changes the subject when hockey is brought up. I don't want a cheerleading type of media not being a Vol fan and living close to Knoxville I know how annoying that can be, but some fairness would be good every once and a while. For the last 3 yeas The Titanseean has basically reported that the team is moving and there is no reason for anyone to attend games or to try to save them. They are causing the average fan to stay away. For what ever reason every thing the paper does is with the agenda of getting the team moved.
What a crock! First of all, Climer, Woody and Biddle do not hate the team being here. They don't understand hockey, don't understand why anyone's interested in it and probably why they don't dress in orange. They don't hate the team. They don't care about the team. A big difference.

I'd love to see some examples of where the Tennessean is saying that the team is moving and that there is no reason to attend the games. You can't because they don't do that. They report that there is low attendance at times. They report that the team could move under the terms of its lease. They report that management is selling the team, has invoked the movement clause in the lease. All reasonable news items. They've never reported that there is no reason to attend the game. Now if you're having difficulty telling the difference between an opinion column and news reporting, I can recommend some books for you to read.

lstcyr is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 09:44 PM
  #77
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
Their stories and commentaries on the pending deal have been nothing short of infammatory, contradictory and complete with dubious math.

Look at today's paper (admittedly the editorial section). Mark Silverman presents his case that the paper is unbiased, fair, objective.

Mr. Silverman's arguments sit alongside Larry Daughtrey's piece espousing the local group is looking for a "blank check on the taxpayer account for a bunch of millionaires who want to buy the Nashville Predators. Just how much the check would total seems to vary day by day, but it is somewhere north of $11 million." He infers that the local group wants $11M plus. He neglects to mention (or maybe he doesn't know) that the $11M number we hear batted around pertains to the bonds the city is obligated to pay rather the Preds are here or not. In fact, these bonds have nothing to do with the Preds; the bonds pre-date the Predators.

In fairness to Mr. Daughtrey, his opinion apparently is the City should not entice businesses by allowing tax breaks or work with the Sounds or spend money on a convention center. While he commentary starts with the Preds, it basically ends with all businesses.
Larry Daughtrey's opinion column is just that, HIS opinion. I'm sure they'd be glad to consider your opinion column or letter to the editor if you'd like to write one. Is there any chance that you are not aware that his column reflects the opinion of a percentage of the population of Nashville who no longer wants to pay for the "privelege" of having an NHL team at the expense of a decent school system? There are many opinions about the Predators and not all of them are the same as the ones expressed on this board. It's not unreasonable for the newspaper to express some of them. In fact, it may just be better for Nashville if the Predators leave town. I don't agree but there are many people who wouldn't care.

lstcyr is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 09:56 PM
  #78
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
This is straying quite a bit off topic. There is no real need to carry on the "paper-war" debate onto this thread.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
  #79
belle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Larry Daughtrey's opinion column is just that, HIS opinion. I'm sure they'd be glad to consider your opinion column or letter to the editor if you'd like to write one. Is there any chance that you are not aware that his column reflects the opinion of a percentage of the population of Nashville who no longer wants to pay for the "privelege" of having an NHL team at the expense of a decent school system? There are many opinions about the Predators and not all of them are the same as the ones expressed on this board. It's not unreasonable for the newspaper to express some of them. In fact, it may just be better for Nashville if the Predators leave town. I don't agree but there are many people who wouldn't care.
Yes, he is entitled to his opinion. Yes, I realize his opinion is representative of a fair potion of the Nashville community. I don't have a problem that he (and others) have an opinion.

However, (and my point) Larry Daughtrey is an employee of the Tennessean. He is supposedly a reporter. His misrepresentation of the "local groups ask as $11M plus" is NOT fair, balanced, or objective. It is in fact, inflammatory.

Did he feel it was necessary to include an untruth to improve his opinion?

Did you know there are actually people in our community that think if we tear down the Sommet Center the $11M plus will go away? Most of those people have gotten that idea from reading, you got it, The Tennessean.

I'm not going to argue with you further on the quality of Tennessean coverage. You want to trust everything you read there, go ahead.

When people come and tell me they read in the paper XYZ what do I think, I will continue to tell them "give it a couple of days for all the facts to come out and I'll let you know."

belle is offline  
Old
10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
  #80
belle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This is straying quite a bit off topic. There is no real need to carry on the "paper-war" debate onto this thread.
I apologize. I will not post on the topic again.

belle is offline  
Old
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
  #81
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
However, (and my point) Larry Daughtrey is an employee of the Tennessean. He is supposedly a reporter. His misrepresentation of the "local groups ask as $11M plus" is NOT fair, balanced, or objective. It is in fact, inflammatory.

I'm not going to argue with you further on the quality of Tennessean coverage. You want to trust everything you read there, go ahead.
He's writing a column with his opinion. It's not the same as writing a story. And, by the way, he retired years ago and just writes a column now.

I don't trust everything I read in the Tennessean. I never said I did. Try not putting words in my mouth.

lstcyr is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
  #82
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
I apologize. I will not post on the topic again.
After, of course, one last shot.

lstcyr is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 10:47 PM
  #83
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
this is getting kind of old people, no wonder posting is slowing down on this board

Pred303 is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 10:50 PM
  #84
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
this is getting kind of old people, no wonder posting is slowing down on this board
I agree the conversation is over but do you really think that people aren't posting to the board because of the posts in this one thread? C'mon, get real.

lstcyr is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 11:01 PM
  #85
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I agree the conversation is over but do you really think that people aren't posting to the board because of the posts in this one thread? C'mon, get real.
it's not the main reason i'm sure..

but it certainly helps keep some away, i know for the last three weeks i see this as the lead topic whenever i sign on and check new posts.. and simply sign back off immediately

Pred303 is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 11:14 PM
  #86
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
but I'm sure you check to see what other new posts have been made to threads so you ignore this one and check the others. anyway, the topic has been worn to death so we can get back to talking hockey.

lstcyr is online now  
Old
10-07-2007, 11:48 PM
  #87
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
As I've said before, bias is in the eye of the beholder. I disagree that the paper "can't cover hockey". You don't like the way they cover hockey and I wish they did a better job of it. They cover hockey in an acceptable way to most of the readership of the Tennessean. Since most of the people here don't read the Tennessean, why do you care?
That is where you are flat out wrong. Bias is not in the eye of the beholder. It is a tangible byproduct of opinion. A news story can have a great set of facts and no false statements but still be biased because the writer has left out the facts that would balance the story. That is the part that you turn a blind eye to every time you jump up and down about there being no false statements in a story.

nine_inch_fang is offline  
Old
10-08-2007, 01:18 AM
  #88
sparkle twin
Real Deal
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,939
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
Did you know there are actually people in our community that think if we tear down the Sommet Center the $11M plus will go away? Most of those people have gotten that idea from reading, you got it, The Tennessean.
Charlie Tygard was on 104 last week and said he had an older man call him about this deal. The man was confused with everything and did think that just because the Preds might move that the city no longer had to pay on the arena. Tygard said he spent over 30 minutes trying to help this guy understand that that wasn't true, if the Preds (and their revenues) leave, the costs are still there for the city. That man was confused by all the media reports out there. While he didn't mention specifically the Tennessean, the truth is that there is so much misinformation out there from newspaper and TV that the average person doesn't get the full story. Even to me it's confusing. However, I find the Nashville Post to have articles that are more clear in what the group is seeking. They just don't have the negative tone that I get from the Tennessean and other media.

----------------------------------



How many council members are needed to pass the lease changes? Is it unanimous, simple majority, 2/3rds?


Please hurry and get this done already council/mayor/group, I can't take this much longer!!

sparkle twin is offline  
Old
10-08-2007, 07:10 AM
  #89
PredDave
Registered User
 
PredDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I agree the conversation is over but do you really think that people aren't posting to the board because of the posts in this one thread? C'mon, get real.
I have been staying away because of YOU....

I find your posts inflammatory.

PredDave is offline  
Old
10-08-2007, 07:19 AM
  #90
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
As I said earlier, lets get this thread back on track, or I will lock it.

Enoch is online now  
Old
10-08-2007, 07:28 AM
  #91
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Based on Enoch's comment, I will pass on commenting on the last three threads except for PredDave's. I love you, PredDave.

lstcyr is online now  
Old
10-08-2007, 08:31 AM
  #92
Pattypred
Registered User
 
Pattypred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
As I said earlier, lets get this thread back on track, or I will lock it.
Please, please lock this thread or delete it entirely. It would be greatly appreciated.

Pattypred is offline  
Old
10-08-2007, 12:37 PM
  #93
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
I think it is fair to say that most Pred fans are very sensitive about what the Tennessean rights.

With that said, I believe it is probably in everyone's best interests to go ahead and close this one down. If you want a discussion on the Tennessean, direct it to the media thread...

Enoch is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.