HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Arena for 30,000 fans. Why, Why Not?

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
After about the first 22,000 seats it would just be like... 'do you want to go to a big party where people scream but you don't really know why?' Or people could bring binoculars like at baseball.

Old
10-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brode View Post
After about the first 22,000 seats it would just be like... 'do you want to go to a big party where people scream but you don't really know why?' Or people could bring binoculars like at baseball.
Baseball is different, I've sat in terrible seats and still had a nice view of the game.

Old
10-08-2007, 07:32 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I've never heard of anybody getting free tickets in Montreal...maybe I just don't know the right people.

Old
10-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
You won't find out any Canadian teams giving out free tickets thats for sure.
According to The globe and Mail you are wrong...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/v5/co...pdf/NHLweb.pdf

Old
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
LOL. Wait you don't think Canadian teams give out free tickets? While they may not be to the same extent that other teams go for, they definately give away tickets. My guess is they will give tickets away to charitable organizations or hospitals or things like that. I think they also have some sort of mechanisms in place for family members of players for both their own team and local boys from other teams. Not sure if they give them away or at a reduced price or something but it seems strange to see french canadian boys on other teams have like 12 people all in the same area when the demand for those seats are high.

As far as the topic at hand, to go along with others said, certain places could probably do it. Toronto and Montreal for sure. Sight lines I dont think would be significantly different than what it is in Montreal allready though I'm not an architect or an engineer. And as far as supply and demand goes, even at say 25k or 30k I think there would still be high demand for tickets in Montreal and Toronto. Other Canadian cities I don't think so but definately those two. It would all depend on the pricing structure of the added seats and that would depend on where the new seats are.

Old
10-08-2007, 07:41 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Tampa Bay used to have attendance figures between 27,000-28,000 when the Lightning played in Tropicana Field.
Impossible! People don't live in igloos there.

Old
10-08-2007, 07:42 PM
charger66

minny could without question fill close to 30 grand. it holds 18500 now well 19 when they squeeze. the sight lines are superb currently cause the stands are steep enough i could see adding maybe one more teir though it would get plenty steep. the way it is even at the top TOP row the view is great and you can see great!~

Old
10-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Look how far away they are from the playing surface in that picture though.
It seems like the sight lines would definatly be better than that in a real hockey arena with a 2nd upper bowl (albeit high above the ice).
Yup. That place wasn't designed for hockey. An actual arena would have seats starting a lot closer to the ice.

Quote:

Patrick 1 Haters 0

I will say one problem in a place as big as the Thunderdome for hockey - the cheapie "end zone" seats had really obstructed views due to the scoreboard, you couldn't see the other goal. That would have to be a design consideration if you wanted an arena that big for hockey.

10-08-2007, 07:45 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Look how far away they are from the playing surface in that picture though.
It seems like the sight lines would definatly be better than that in a real hockey arena with a 2nd upper bowl (albeit high above the ice).
I know, a 30,000 seat arena wouldn't be THAT far away, but I was using it to illustrate that you'd be really far back from the ice if you started getting 30,000 seats in an arena

Old
10-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
They should strap people onto the roof. Like those rides at Six Flags.

Old
10-08-2007, 07:50 PM
John Belushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Corporate wise, MSG could absolutely do it. Toronto and Montreal could probably do it given sheer demand from fans.

Given construction limitations [available space, ADA requirements, safety concerns] it'll never happen in New York; considering neither arena is 10 years old, it'll never happen in Montreal and Toronto. [Never mind the fact that limited supply = higher price = higher revenues = higher profits.]
I don't have NY's attendance figures on hand, but I'm fairly sure they don't even sell out a 20k arena on a regular basis, so 30k is far-fetched for sure.

Old
10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Danny__K

Flames right now could probably sell out at 25k consistently, i doubt they'd make 30 other then BOA games and other favoured games like canucks and pens. 5 years ago though the flames couldn't even sell out 18k.

Old
10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
vcx*

As long as Crosby is still a Penguin, pittsburgh could probably build a 20,000+ seat arena and do quite well.

Not sure what the number of seats the new arena will have yet, so who knows.

Old
10-08-2007, 08:01 PM
go_leafs_go02

is there ANYWHERE that I can see how the Thunderdome was setup with seats...I would love to see a picture compared to a seating map.

Old
10-08-2007, 08:03 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

I think there is a difference between giving away a couple of hundred tickets and almost 3000 tickets a game.

The amount that Montreal gives away surprises me... not Ottawa though.

Old
10-08-2007, 08:09 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
I will say one problem in a place as big as the Thunderdome for hockey - the cheapie "end zone" seats had really obstructed views due to the scoreboard, you couldn't see the other goal. That would have to be a design consideration if you wanted an arena that big for hockey.
That's extremely poor design. If you are going to shell out millions to build an ice rink, the firm should know what the hell they are doing, like sight lines. This isn't something we learn in our final year for architecture (and design), this is like semester 1 stuff.

The Bolts arena is a nice one though, i doubt the fans are as rude as they are at the habs arena, went to 1 game there to watch the habs play while i was visiting MTL and wow...you'd think the fans bought tickets to go and boo all game long.

Old
10-08-2007, 08:13 PM
psod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
I was going to say, if Toronto looked into doing this, they would actually have to drop their ticket prices considerably.
I don't think they would.

Right now there is significant excess demand for tickets when they are sold at face value. There's enough demand, that tickets routinely sell at 2x-3x face value privately.

Adding 50% more seats at the same price likely wouldn't create a situation where supply is too great for demand. I think the only people who would have to lower their prices are the scalpers. I don't feel too bad for them.

Old
10-08-2007, 08:14 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach - #1 Canes Fan View Post
Here's a picture taken from the very back of Commonwealth Stadium during the Heritage Classic

I would think that, once you get above 23000-25000 seats that it would be very hard to view the ice. I wouldn't spend more than a few bucks on nosebleed tickets from that far back, same with most other fans
I think 19,000-20,000 is a good enough # for seats in an arena. That one Gretzky guy, wow...i hope he brought his binoculars to that game, or else he'd be cheering whenever everyone else was, not because he knew what the hell was going on.

Old
10-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Jimmy the Saint

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy the Saint
There are a few markets that could support a 30,000 seat arena but from a practicality stand point I doubt we'll ever see one. These building are used a great deal for events other than hockey. Toronto certainly isn't going to come close to filling a 30,000 seat arena for the Raptors and a 30,000-seat arena isn't as conducive to a concert environment as a 30,000-seat amphitheater.

MSG is the only city that it could be practical for things other than hockey but even then you have to wonder. Plus it's just not ever going to happen.

It would be pretty cool to see the Leafs play a game at SkyDome. Put the rink in the center, put up seats around that and then fill the rest of the stands. The sight lines would be positively awful in most of the normal seating but I'm sure they could pull it off.

Old
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
I think 19,000-20,000 is a good enough # for seats in an arena. That one Gretzky guy, wow...i hope he brought his binoculars to that game, or else he'd be cheering whenever everyone else was, not because he knew what the hell was going on.
If I could watch Wrestling match from that angle in Ford Field, I can watch Hockey.

Old
10-08-2007, 09:43 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
You're missing Minnesota. We could have 23,000+ season ticket holders if we had an arena large enough. I'm sure more would go for season tickets if the waiting list wasn't 7,000. Combine this with single game sales and the Wild could easily draw near 30,000 on a consistent basis.
werd, its almost impossible to get tickets to a game through ticketmaster anymore. I talked my parents into taking their friends season tickets over so I could actually go to games when I came home

Old
10-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Henrik Maneuver

yeah, i get bored, sue me. if a third "bowl" were added to a typical arena, this is what it might look like.
Quote:
if this is the view from the top of the lower bowl,

this would be the view from the top of the middle bowl,

and this would be the view from the top of the upper bowl:

-----------------------

if this is the view from the top of the lower bowl,

this would be the view from the top of the middle bowl,

and this would be the view from the top of the upper bowl:
this hypothetical stadium could hold about 29000 people

Old
10-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
You won't find out any Canadian teams giving out free tickets thats for sure.
Well, if your head is in the sand, sure. But every Canadian team gives out free tickets.

Old
10-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

The Leafs and Habs could easily do this...****, I think the Leaf and Habs could fill a soccer stadium (60-100,0000) consistantly.

Old
10-08-2007, 10:23 PM
znk

Bigger is not necessarily better.

Closed Thread