HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How long should Hockey Equipment last?

Old
10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
jiggs 10

vCash: 500
I've owned 2 pairs of shin pads in the last 28 years. They almost never wear out, it's just if you want something with a little more padding in it. Same with my elbow pads. Just bought a new pair last year after 25 years with the old Canadian's. I would not even have done that, but they were REALLY starting to stink! Even washing them 4 or 5 times a year didn't slow it down, so it was time.

Gloves can last 10 years, if you take care of them. My thumbs got holes in them after 4 years, but so what? It doesn't affect your play in the least, unless you stick your thumb out of the hole and get slashed.

I have 3 helmets, 2 of them over 20 years old (a CCM and a Jofa Gretzky helmet). I finally bought a newer Bauer helmet last year, and it's OK, but I like the CCM better. The padding is getting bad, though, so I only wear it for rentals with buddies who won't hit me in the head (very often!).

Don't wear hockey pants. Haven't since high school 26 years ago. I bought a pair a few years back, just in case I needed them for tournaments in Canada. But they really slow you down when you are used to playing without them! I would suggest getting a pair that fits fairly snug, with the zippers in the in-seam to give you a little more flexability. I hate that "cut-pants" look, but I guess if you need to be able to skate better...

Skates are the place to not scrimp. Buy the best you can afford, and take care of them! I see lots of players who just throw them in their bag without even drying the blades off! Small wonder they are buying new skates every 2 or 3 years! Wipe the blades and blade holders dry, then cover them with Blade Blankets and lay them on top of everything else in your bag and take them out when you get home. Let them air dry if possible (and your wife doesn't complain about the stench!) in between skates.

I just hate to break in new equipment, so that's why I never buy any. But I have to laugh at players who get new pads every 2 or 3 years! What could possible break down that fast, except skates?

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well the palms of my gloves rip through after about six months. I use Powerflex tape and it still wears through. I know some guys use gloves for years and others only get a few months. But yeah those and skates are really the only gear that needs replacing fairly frequently.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:09 PM
spjon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
I live in California though, there isn't much of a hockey glove repalming market here.
There is a place by the Phoenix Club in Anaheim that does the Ducks stuff and La Tijera Bootery in Inglewood that repalms for the Kings and does work on their equipment

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well the palms of my gloves rip through after about six months. I use Powerflex tape and it still wears through. I know some guys use gloves for years and others only get a few months. But yeah those and skates are really the only gear that needs replacing fairly frequently.
Well I find most anything rubbery in grip causes wear quicker. Cloth tape is a bit better....but personally I use powerflex tape too, but I got leather palms. Performance stuck is made to perform, not last...like your high end OPS, etc. So those nice performance/feel palms will wear quick.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Well I find most anything rubbery in grip causes wear quicker. Cloth tape is a bit better....but personally I use powerflex tape too, but I got leather palms. Performance stuck is made to perform, not last...like your high end OPS, etc. So those nice performance/feel palms will wear quick.
I was actually considering a tacki-mac grip for my stick to cut down on the wear my gloves get from the cloth tape as well as cut down on cloth tape consumption.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
KevFist
is best pony

One thing I'd like to point out as well...

If you're just starting to play, avoid buying all the latest high tech gear. Seriously....It'll save you SOOO much embarrassment at the rink.

I know new guys whjo would come to where I used to play...They'd be all decked out in the latest stuff, but then stink really bad. They'd just bragged about all their new stuff, and now they're swimming around, trying to keep up. Just get some really good midrange stuff. Don't go all insane, because you really don't know about your style yet. There's no need to make your style conform to your gear.

Look for some good dependable brands, liek CCM, Hespeller, Eagle, etc.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 07:04 PM
keef

Quote:
Originally Posted by melubsdonna View Post
Hey guys,

I'm new to hockey and i'm looking into buying the following: pants, shoulder pad, elbow pads, knee pads. How long are they expected to last? I ask because I have a choice of spending a lot of money for good quality stuff (e.g. $200 pants) or buying much cheaper gear that will suffice. If equipment doesn't last long, I won't pay a lot for it. I play in a no body checking league and plan to play hockey more intensively as time goes on. The main reason I'd want better equipment is for the fit, as I find the cheaper stuff slow me down when i play.

Of the items i listed, i think i would go out of my way to spend the most on pants. Is that practical? my rationale is that I want to be as fast as possible and I need pants that fit perfectly. Should pants fit comfortably loose or very snug and fitted? Thanks guys.
I wouldn't buy the most expensive pads right away because you don't really know what you like and dislike about any of it. For example, you can buy the most expensive shinpads, but maybe later on you wish they were an inch or two shorter or weren't as bulky in some area. It's a lot harder to justify throwing away expensive pads. I actually use lower end pads because they tend to be less bulky (at the expense of protection), so I guess I have the opposite problem as you. I do have higher end pants for better tailbone / lower spine protection. I'm pretty sure I'd be just as slow in cheaper pants

keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 01:20 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
I've found that if you are using cloth tape, rubbing baby powder on it makes it less tacky and it doesn't stick to your palm as much.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post
I've found that if you are using cloth tape, rubbing baby powder on it makes it less tacky and it doesn't stick to your palm as much.
I actually do that already, it works well, but i figured a rubber grip like tackimac would reduce wear on my palm even more?

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
ShowmeHawks

I'm not a big fan of using a grip on my sticks. Just the one knobbie at the top that is only there to keep the stick in my hand and to elevate it a little bit to help me pick it up if I do drop it.

My gloves still have full palms.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote