HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sports Hernia

Old
10-09-2007, 11:01 AM
MacBeatsPang

vCash: 500
Sports Hernia

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with sports hernia.

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from this right now. I've had symptoms for several months. They're getting a little worse lately. My general practicioner has ruled out an actual hernia and any other problems in the pelvic area, and I'm going to see a sports medicine doctor next week to see what he thinks.

If anyone has had this before, what did you do to treat it? How long before you got better and could go back to hockey? And are there any lingering effects? I'm a Devils fan and know that John Madden had this a couple years back. He really hasn't been the same since. I'm far from a pro but would like to continue playing recreational hockey and be reasonably competitive well into my late 30s and 40s.

Here's a link to a good page describing the symptoms:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=4&gl=us

Thanks.

MacBeatsPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 01:12 PM
hockeyjoe_16

I may be going thru the same thing. When to the sports Dr. last spring. Not sure if it's a sport hernia or just a reacurring groin pull that I've been to hard headed to let fully heal. Did 6 wks of P.T. (3X a week), just started playing again 2 wks ago. Feels good so far, but the skating conditioning sucks right now.

hockeyjoe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBeatsPang View Post
Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with sports hernia.

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from this right now. I've had symptoms for several months. They're getting a little worse lately. My general practicioner has ruled out an actual hernia and any other problems in the pelvic area, and I'm going to see a sports medicine doctor next week to see what he thinks.

If anyone has had this before, what did you do to treat it? How long before you got better and could go back to hockey? And are there any lingering effects? I'm a Devils fan and know that John Madden had this a couple years back. He really hasn't been the same since. I'm far from a pro but would like to continue playing recreational hockey and be reasonably competitive well into my late 30s and 40s.

Here's a link to a good page describing the symptoms:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=4&gl=us

Thanks.
I had a pain in the same area and thought it was a sports hernia too. My doctor told me it's probably strain but it could be the beginnings of a hernia and to rest it. I took a season off and tried to stay away from physical activity for a good couple of months. It seems quite a bit better now, but I'll hold my judgment until I start playing a real hockey game again in the winter.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
keef

I had the symptoms of a minor sports hernia. It could have been a strain. I'm not sure. The symptoms weren't severe, but they persisted for about 6 months. I thought that they'd be with me forever, but went away eventually.

keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Phoenix

from what I know inguinal hernias are a fairly common sports condition in male athletes. More so those in track/running so I guess skating probably would fall into this line too.

Am no sports doc and I have no idea whether you can take precautions.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Sensfanman

I don't think it matters whether it's just a strain or the starts of a hernia. I'd rest it either way, it's better to be safe than sorry. If you rest it maybe a week or two and it feels better, go back out for a skate, see how it holds up. If it was a strain it should be gone by then and if the pain comes back, I'd seek further help.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 08:04 AM
MacBeatsPang

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Some quick follow-up questions:

For those of you who did PT for this, what did it consist of?

And what about "rest?" Did this mean just no hockey, or no aerobic workouts/other serious exercise/physical activity?

FWIW, my GP has ruled out inguinal hernia.

Thanks again.

MacBeatsPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
from what I know inguinal hernias are a fairly common sports condition in male athletes. More so those in track/running so I guess skating probably would fall into this line too.

Am no sports doc and I have no idea whether you can take precautions.
They say soccer & hockey are the two sports where sports hernias are most common. I'd assume it's because of the amount of quick turning you have to make.

Quote:

And what about "rest?" Did this mean just no hockey, or no aerobic workouts/other serious exercise/physical activity?

Thanks again.
In terms of the rest, my doctor said no running, hockey, or lifting for 2 weeks and then to see after that. I haven't played since August, although I've been playing a bit of roller hockey with friends on occasion and it's pretty good now. Before it would hurt even when I wasn't doing anything.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 03:06 PM
hockeyjoe_16

Quote:

Thanks again.
The P.T. was about 20 min of bike, lot's of stretching for both the groin and hip flexor. several variation of squats (more squat about 3/4 of the way and hold for 5 to 10 sec, not just up and down), some work with a rubber band both pulling the leg in and also working out. The though was that my own strenth in the other leg musles kept repulling the groin. I could have gone back to playing in late July, but didn't have a place to play.

hockeyjoe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote