HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Alfredsson vs. Iginla.

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have on your team RIGHT NOW.
Daniel Alfredsson 123 49.40%
Jarome Iginla 126 50.60%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Since being named captain
2003-2004
Playoffs
Finale

2004-2005
Lockout

2005-2006
Playoffs
Division Title

2006-2007
Playoffs

Okay, bad record as the leader.
He's been brutal. I guess he was never a leader when his team was miissing the playoffs. Nice excuse.
3 times in the playoffs in 10 years. 2 of those years a quick 1st round exit.
What a great leader

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 01:00 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
He's been brutal. I guess he was never a leader when his team was miissing the playoffs. Nice excuse.
What a great leader
No he wasn't a leader, he was still young.

Iginla is a good leader, one of the better ones in the leauge, but not in the elite. I know in your hatred of all things Flames you're a little silly, but try too not be so weird, kid.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 01:41 AM
BBQorMILDEW

Quote:
What a great leader

Since Alfredsson has been captain.

98-99 they are swept in 4 straight by the Buffalo Sabres.

99-00 are buried by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 6 games
00-01 being swept by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 4 straight
01-02- 2nd round loss to the Leafs.
02-03- Conference Finals Loss to Jersey
03-04- Loss in 7 to the Leafs.

Seems to me that he has had his share of letdowns as well. And they had the best team in the league for most of those years. Talk about Choking...
Both players are awesome.
As a Flames fan it sickens me on how poorly Iginla is playing "right now" But eventually he will come around and be on fire for about a month, then he will suck for 3 or 4 games. then be on fire for about a month.

He is a very streaky player, some days he is the best player in the league and the next invisible. Other teams know this and do not want to wake up the "sleeping giant". They don't hit him anymore, Iginla plays on RAW emotion, but if no one is beaking him or slashing him then he forgets how to score. Alfredsson is a great hockey player, I would take him in a second, but not at the expense of Iginla.

Iginla is a dominating player, scary good somegames. I just wish someone would slap him in the face before each game to get him going. Wasn't everyone saying that Alfredsson was to be traded last year,

IMO if you put Iginla with Heatley and Spezza you would get more goals and points than you would with Alfreddson.

BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 04:52 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQorMILDEW View Post

Seems to me that he has had his share of letdowns as well. And they had the best team in the league for most of those years. Talk about Choking...
As a Flames fan it sickens me on how poorly Iginla is playing "right now" But eventually he will come around and be on fire for about a month, then he will suck for 3 or 4 games. then be on fire for about a month.

He is a very streaky player, some days he is the best player in the league and the next invisible. Other teams know this and do not want to wake up the "sleeping giant". They don't hit him anymore, Iginla plays on RAW emotion, but if no one is beaking him or slashing him then he forgets how to score. Alfredsson is a great hockey player, I would take him in a second, but not at the expense of Iginla.

Iginla is a dominating player, scary good somegames. I just wish someone would slap him in the face before each game to get him going. Wasn't everyone saying that Alfredsson was to be traded last year,

IMO if you put Iginla with Heatley and Spezza you would get more goals and points than you would with Alfreddson.

In the bolded series' Ottawa was the underdog. They weren't the best team in their series', let alone the league. The 1 time they did win the President's Trophy was 02-03 and they were 2 minutes away from the Cup finals.
99 & 01.... do you consider the Penguins a bunch of chokers right now? Or will you consider them a bunch of chokers if they don't win the Cup by next year? ... Hossa, Havlat, Bonk, Redden, Phillips, etc.

Yep, we just went over those trade threads from last year on our boards. Cherry, fans from other teams and an extremely small minority of Sens fans wanted him traded. A large majority were adamant about keeping him.

Heatley and Spezza weren't Alfie's linemates before the lockout... when he put up 4 PPG seasons in 5 years (while Iginla did it once). His linemates were Todd White, Schaefer, Arvedson, etc.

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 06:47 AM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQorMILDEW View Post

In his last 4 trips to the playoffs, alfredsson's team has a 32-21 record winning 6 series, making it to the stanley cup finals and the conference finals. The sens have made the playoffs for 7 years in a row since alfredsson has been captain.

Quote:
no they didn't, leafs were seeded ahead of the sens 3 of the 4 times they "choked".

Quote:
true.

Quote:
Wasn't everyone saying that Alfredsson was to be traded last year,
sure, if everyone's name is Don Cherry.

Quote:
doubt it, that line would take be taking nights off for at least half the season. Alfredsson doesn't need to be slashed or hit to play 100%. He gives it all every shift.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Iginla's constistency is bad... He can put up 65 points one year then pot 90 the next..

I'll take Alfredsson.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
In the bolded series' Ottawa was the underdog. They weren't the best team in their series', let alone the league. The 1 time they did win the President's Trophy was 02-03 and they were 2 minutes away from the Cup finals.
Finishing 1 point behind the Leafs doesn't make Ottawa an underdog imo.
The sens scored 20 more goals and had 15 fewer scored against them throughout the course of that same year. If anything, Toronto was the underdog and it showed on the scoresheet. Ottawa consistently outplayed them and if not for the stellar goaltending of Eddie and the meltdown of Patrick Lalime in game 7, the series would have gone the other way.

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Moray

I tied it up

Moray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
No he wasn't a leader, he was still young.

Iginla is a good leader, one of the better ones in the leauge, but not in the elite. I know in your hatred of all things Flames you're a little silly, but try too not be so weird, kid.
Its laughable that you consider him "one of the better ones in the leauge".
There is virtually nothing in his resume to substatiate that. In fact, his resume suggests the opposite.
The lengths & fabrications some Flame kids will go to try & say there boy is better than so & so is quite astounding.

Old
10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Its laughable that you consider him "one of the better ones in the leauge".
There is virtually nothing in his resume to substatiate that. In fact, his resume suggests the opposite.
The lengths & fabrications some Flame kids will go to try & say there boy is better than so & so is quite astounding.
You make me smile. Thanks.

Old
10-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Iginla's "leading" = getting into high-profile fights and scrums that get a lot of media attention, while Mikka Kiprusoff carries the team as far as it will go.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 008 View Post
Finishing 1 point behind the Leafs doesn't make Ottawa an underdog imo.
The sens scored 20 more goals and had 15 fewer scored against them throughout the course of that same year. If anything, Toronto was the underdog and it showed on the scoresheet. Ottawa consistently outplayed them and if not for the stellar goaltending of Eddie and the meltdown of Patrick Lalime in game 7, the series would have gone the other way.
That is all true.

Plus, Toronto was missing some key guys (such as their best player, Mats Sundin) due to injuries for all or part of that series.

For Ottawa to lose to Toronto in 2004 was a complete choke job, considering Toronto was: (a) the underdog going into the series; (b) got outplayed badly in the series; and (c) was losing some key players, including their best player.

Furthermore, Ottawa losing to Toronto in 2002 was also a complete choke job, for pretty much the same three reasons as 2004.

Regular season points do not establish favourites and underdogs. For example, just look at last year. New Jersey had more points than Ottawa. But every single person and their cousin viewed Ottawa as the favourites that series, and picked Ottawa to win that series.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
That is all true.

Plus, Toronto was missing some key guys (such as their best player, Mats Sundin) due to injuries for all or part of that series.

For Ottawa to lose to Toronto in 2004 was a complete choke job, considering Toronto was: (a) the underdog going into the series; (b) got outplayed badly in the series; and (c) was losing some key players, including their best player.

Furthermore, Ottawa losing to Toronto in 2002 was also a complete choke job, for pretty much the same three reasons as 2004.

Regular season points do not establish favourites and underdogs. For example, just look at last year. New Jersey had more points than Ottawa. But every single person and their cousin viewed Ottawa as the favourites that series, and picked Ottawa to win that series.
You dont make any sense. You say its a complete choke job, but the Leafs got outplayed bady. The fact is, the only reason Sens lost in those series was because of the difference in tending.
i dont consider that a choke job at all. I say thats great tending by Eddie, & terrible by Lalime

Old
10-12-2007, 03:03 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Iginla's "leading" = getting into high-profile fights and scrums that get a lot of media attention, while Mikka Kiprusoff carries the team as far as it will go.
No one man carries any team
No one man is a leader without help.

Steve Yzerman was a bad leader when he couldn't stop a group of Red Wing players from getting drunk the night before a big playoff game vs the Oilers in '88, but he became great after the wings surrounded him with more leaders.

Mark Messier isn't a great leader because he didn't play a playoff game in the final 10 years of his career. But he is for what he did with the Oilers in 1990.

Alfredson was a terrible leader while Ottawa was regularly being bounced in the first round, but is a great leader now after a cup run.

Everyone has dark marks on their leadership resume, and somehow I doubt Iginla wears a C on his chest because he gets into "high profile fights". Whatever the heck that means anyways.

Old
10-12-2007, 04:28 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Alfie for me, by a slight margin. Iggy was particularly great in Calgary's last cup run, while Alfie is currently one of the best players in the world. Alfie is most likely the best 2-way player in the game today.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 04:34 PM
TOML

Alfredsson

Only because every other season Iginla manages only 67 points. And this is going to be one of those seasons.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Epoch

Iginla.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Alfredson was a terrible leader while Ottawa was regularly being bounced in the first round, but is a great leader now after a cup run.
You mean 50% of the time? (Sens eliminated 5/10 times in the 1st round with Alfie)
or 75% of the time? (the Flames being eliminated 3/4 times in the 1st round with Iginla)

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 12:19 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
You mean 50% of the time? (Sens eliminated 5/10 times in the 1st round with Alfie)
or 75% of the time? (the Flames being eliminated 3/4 times in the 1st round with Iginla)
actually alfie has only been captain for 7 seasons and the sens have been bounced from the 1st round only 3 times since then (43%).

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 02:00 PM
tesplen

Tough question. Both are great offensive threats, both have recently led their teams to Finals appearances, both are good leaders. In the end I chose Iginla over Alfredsson by a hair just because Iginla adds more toughness than Alfredsson does.

Although he's still a little ***** for constantly fighting with his visor on.

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Phousse

Iginla

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 08:08 PM
therealdeal

It would be interesting to see who lead their team in points in each of the years that people say Iginla was a no show. Also it would be interesting to see what happened to the players that Iginla has played with and had great years, and the players that Alfredsson has played with.

I'm guessing that Iginla has never had anyone near as talented not only on his line, but on his whole team that Alfredsson has worked with. You go down the list, Havlat, Hossa, Redden, Chara, and now obviously Heatley and Spezza. Can anyone name anyone in the same universe of skill that Iginla has had? McCammond, Conroy, Langkow?

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote