HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Helminen - Award

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Looks good..

but can it score goals? A third line would need to score goals, and is Ortmeyer going to break out at all? That's his biggest drawback in my opinion. It's nice to see his energy. He uses his size well. He blocks shots well. He gives it his all and plays smart. But if he's going to get around 15 minutes of ice time, I think he's going to have to score 10+ goals. Can he do that? Or is he better-suited for fourth line duties as a banger, and a penalty killer?

If Barnaby does come back, I'd actually consider him on Holik's right. A pest who can get in top wingers' face, and who can get 10-15 goals, and play pretty responsibly. And when I say consider, I mean there may be other decent options out there too. Ah, it's too early to think about that. Gotta get back to dreaming of a top five pick.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer
I've been going to Rangers games for four decades now, and I think I can recognize good Potential when I see it. I was at Gilbert's first game, Park's first game, Leetch's first game, and you could tell right away that these guys "had it". Now, there is no way Dominic Moore is anywhere near that class of player, BUT he is one of the SMARTEST rookies I've seen come along in Ranger blue. He just knows where to go offensively and defensively when he stepped on the ice. Frankly, I'm stumped at his lack of production on the Pack. But, I would love to see him get a chance to center Jagr. If brought along correctly, I think he is at least Jan Erixon, whom I would compare him to.

Jan Erixon had twice the strength of Moore. Moore has little upper body strength which hurts him as a checking center. He's is a smart player - which has gotten him this far, but I'm not sure that he has the skills to be more then a fringe NHL player.... I could be wrong. In my opinion Blair Betts is a better option - a stronger version of Moore who plays with twice the grit and intensity. I like him much better in that role.

Old
03-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Edge

Moore is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place right now.

He doesn't quite have the makeup of of a third line center {size, strength, etc.} but he doesn't have the offense of a top 6 forward.

Ideally he might be a third line winger, but I think we already have options there.

At 24 he's venturing into that Brian Swanson like category.

I really don't know where he fits at the moment, but if he's gonna make it it's gonna be as a smart third line player. Though to get there he's gonna have to get a lot stronger.

I think the deadline has distracted a lot of people from the fact that this is still an organization with a lot of third and checking line talent but one that lacks real options for the top 6.

Old
03-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
Jan Erixon had twice the strength of Moore. Moore has little upper body strength which hurts him as a checking center. He's is a smart player - which has gotten him this far, but I'm not sure that he has the skills to be more then a fringe NHL player.... I could be wrong. In my opinion Blair Betts is a better option - a stronger version of Moore who plays with twice the grit and intensity. I like him much better in that role.
I agree, with Betts in the fold, Moore becomes a depth/emergency injury AHL call up. I like the Dom, but like Park has stated, he does have limitations.

Old
03-20-2004, 09:23 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
Everyone on this board has such a high opinion of Dominic Moore and I'm really not sure why. I don't see any possible scenario that he is on the big club next year - even if they do sign no one.

That said, Barring trades - Murray, Orts, Balej and possibly Umberger would get a permanent spot. There are other picks in the 1st round who would not be a "While" away.

Putting lines together for the 2006-7 season is a bit of a stretch - no?
agree why is everyone so high on more i think lundmark has more of an upside then moore and thats not saying much cause lundmark will be gone during draft day anyways the kid is lazy and lost out there a flop

Old
03-20-2004, 09:30 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but can it score goals? A third line would need to score goals, and is Ortmeyer going to break out at all? That's his biggest drawback in my opinion. It's nice to see his energy. He uses his size well. He blocks shots well. He gives it his all and plays smart. But if he's going to get around 15 minutes of ice time, I think he's going to have to score 10+ goals. Can he do that? Or is he better-suited for fourth line duties as a banger, and a penalty killer?

If Barnaby does come back, I'd actually consider him on Holik's right. A pest who can get in top wingers' face, and who can get 10-15 goals, and play pretty responsibly. And when I say consider, I mean there may be other decent options out there too. Ah, it's too early to think about that. Gotta get back to dreaming of a top five pick.
i think ortmeyer will be one of the best defensive fowards in the game if u been watching the kid gets more and more confident every gamehe will be great on the 3 line with holik would be nice he will be a future 10-15 goal scorer a keeper for us maybe to wear the "a" somewhere down the road , same for garth murray a darren mccaty cloan the kid is an enbergy player tough and can fight and will also be able to put up 40 plus points a season in the future these are just opinions not a fact thats what i think

Old
03-20-2004, 10:32 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay 'n skeeta
anyways the kid is lazy
Say what you want about Lundmark, but LAZY??? Where is that coming from?

"he will be a future 10-15 goal scorer "

Personally, I think that in a career year, Jed will score 15. While he does show some promise of being a good 3rd liner, he has shown no inclination towards any part of an offensive game. If he continues to develop his defensive game, that's great. But if all he has is smarts and energy, his future is a 4th liner. Now I think that Jed DOES have an upside to that of (MAYBE) Draper. But he is going to have to show just a little more of a knack for the net. So far he has displayed ZERO offensive ability.

Old
03-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Fletch

I agree TB...

I also agree that Jed is very good defensively. That alone doesn't mean you should be checking top lines. If you're getting 16-18 minutes per night, you're going to need to score, too. While Jed does have an inclination to shoot, he has little scoring skills at this point. I wouldn't rush him to Holik's side just yet.

Old
03-20-2004, 03:59 PM
charliemurphy

How about:
Ortmeyer-Holik-Barnaby as next year's 2nd or 3rd line.

Closed Thread